Big ten individual predictions

Started by Wrestling fan, February 13, 2015, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 13, 2015, 03:42:36 PM
Martinez over Ness is a sure thing, he is a much better wrestler, as long as he doesn't get caught I have Martinez by 4.

So many people underestimate Ness.  You don't get to the NCAA finals twice without being a fantastic wrestler.  
Ness has a style that works for him, even if it would be garbage for other wrestlers.   Ness also has ability to wrestle a conservative match, he does that sometimes.

I see Martinez winning, but it hardly a sure thing.

Huckfinn

Quote from: billymurphy on February 13, 2015, 03:30:57 PM

I Predict Matt McCutcheon finishes behind RR.

RR is among about 6 guys who can make finals at 184, wide open field.   I think Brooks is best of bunch, but not by that much.

jaguarwrestler

I don't underestimate Ness at all, you don't go 2-3-2 without being very good... I just think Martinez is that much better, but he is young and very aggressive and that is a recipe for getting caught. I have watched Ness wrestle many matches, I don't think his technique is all that good and e gets sloppy almost hoping for that big move to show up. Just look at the finals last year, Dieringer knew where to attack and where to stay away and he picked him apart. Oh and Martinez also held Green scoreless... so yeah he is also pretty good. I guess we will see if I am right, thing is he needs to go through Green and Ness to win it, not just Ness. Ness beat Kelly by 2, Martinez beat him by 15... just one comparable but what a difference, Martinez not only techs people he does it in like 4-5 minutes
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

vsmf2010

Not much love for RT.

RT, IJ, and CM are wrestling very well right now. I feel really good about their chances to be champs. I think RR will outwrestle his seed and anything is possible for TM.

Manty77

Wow, Coon just beat Telford.  I wonder what that does for the Big 285 seedings.

Huckfinn

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 13, 2015, 08:43:39 PM
I don't underestimate Ness at all, you don't go 2-3-2 without being very good... I just think Martinez is that much better, but he is young and very aggressive and that is a recipe for getting caught. I have watched Ness wrestle many matches, I don't think his technique is all that good and e gets sloppy almost hoping for that big move to show up. Just look at the finals last year, Dieringer knew where to attack and where to stay away and he picked him apart. Oh and Martinez also held Green scoreless... so yeah he is also pretty good. I guess we will see if I am right, thing is he needs to go through Green and Ness to win it, not just Ness. Ness beat Kelly by 2, Martinez beat him by 15... just one comparable but what a difference, Martinez not only techs people he does it in like 4-5 minutes

I'm the guy who predicted Martinez would win 4 national championships, so you are preaching to converted.

Ness has been intense this year.     You know about the odd circumstances of Kelly match.    Ness is a senior, this is his last chance, I expect to see him focused in big matches.

I'm changing my vote.    You got me so mad, I'm predicting Ness will beat Martinez in finals.   If Ness wins, I will rub your nose in it.  If Martinez wins, you will have forgotten about my prediction.

Huckfinn

Quote from: Manty77 on February 13, 2015, 08:55:43 PM
Coon has got the size to match-up with Lurch.     Slight surprise, but really the top 5 HWs in B1G are pretty evenly matched.

Manty77

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 09:10:14 PM
Coon has got the size to match-up with Lurch.     Slight surprise, but really the top 5 HWs in B1G are pretty evenly matched.
I guess I should have been more direct.  I think right now Medbery would get the #1 seed in the Bigs.  I'm not sure who would get the #2, #3, and #4 seeds.

Medbery: 25-1 with a loss to Telford at Midlands
Telford:  21-2 with losses to McMullen and Coon
Coon: 22 - 3 with a loss to Medbery (his other 2 losses were non-conf losses - Walz and Mardsen)
McMullen: 20 - 2 with losses to Telford and Medbery

Wrestling fan

I know all the weights will be entertaining, however i think between 133,157,174, and hwt will be the most anticipated. Top 4 guys at each weight are all pretty close. theres will be several rematches from previous Saul meets, I think it's gunna be hard to beat a wrestler that was an upset in a daul. I don't believe sorenson will beat tshirts again, Martinez beat green, etc. them guys will make adjustments

Huckfinn

Quote from: Manty77 on February 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PMI think right now Medbery would get the #1 seed in the Bigs. 
Good point.  Although there is so much talent, I'm not sure seeding matters so much.

Quote from: Manty77 on February 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PM
Jim Gibbons said on TV that Medberry nearly beat Telford in a  great match.  I go to BTN Plus to watch it, and the camera operator missed this match, along with half the semifinals.    >:(

TomM

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 09:10:14 PM

Lurch passed away
Born Theodore Crawford Cassidy July 31, 1932 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died January 16, 1979 (aged 46) Los Angeles, California
Occupation Actor
Years active 1952–1979
Height 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)[1]
Theodore Crawford "Ted" Cassidy (July 31, 1932 – January 16, 1979) was an American actor who performed in numerous television shows and films.[2] Noted for his tall stature at 6 feet 9 inches (2.06 m),[1] he tended to play unusual characters in offbeat or science-fiction series such as Star Trek and I Dream of Jeannie.[2] He is perhaps best known for the role of Lurch on The Addams Family.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Manty77

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 10:06:45 PM
Quote from: Manty77 on February 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PMI think right now Medbery would get the #1 seed in the Bigs. 
Good point.  Although there is so much talent, I'm not sure seeding matters so much.

Quote from: Manty77 on February 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PM
Jim Gibbons said on TV that Medberry nearly beat Telford in a  great match.  I go to BTN Plus to watch it, and the camera operator missed this match, along with half the semifinals.    >:(
Medbery had a TD on Telford but the Refs ruled they were out of bounds. Highly controversial.  However, I've been accused of being a homer, so maybe I'm wrong.    ;D

Huckfinn

Quote from: TomM on February 13, 2015, 10:12:24 PMHe is perhaps best known for the role of Lurch on The Addams Family.
I also remember that guy as the scolding judge in "My Cousin Vinny"

I think Bobby Telford has enough Lurch-like qualities that the nickname could stick.

Telford is not my favorite wrestler, he wins a lot of matches just by being long and big on top.  And like some of his Iowa teammates, he does a lot of boxing out there.  A lot of pushing after whistle.

I really want to see either Medberry or McMullen, two awesome athletes, beat Lurch up.

Manty77

Quote from: Huckfinn on February 13, 2015, 10:26:17 PM
Quote from: TomM on February 13, 2015, 10:12:24 PMHe is perhaps best known for the role of Lurch on The Addams Family.
I also remember that guy as the scolding judge in "My Cousin Vinny"

I think Bobby Telford has enough Lurch-like qualities that the nickname could stick.

Telford is not my favorite wrestler, he wins a lot of matches just by being long and big on top.  And like some of his Iowa teammates, he does a lot of boxing out there.  A lot of pushing after whistle.

I really want to see either Medberry or McMullen, two awesome athletes, beat Lurch up.
I agree.  I absolutely hate watching Telford wrestle.  He has almost no skill, and wins just based on his size alone.  I loved watching McMullen mule kick his stalling-(deleted word) head in.

Huckfinn

Quote from: Wrestling fan on February 13, 2015, 09:34:11 PM
I know all the weights will be entertaining, however i think between 133,157,174, and hwt will be the most anticipated. 

I would add 197 to that list.   Snyder at Ohio State looks like Olympian physically.    MacIntosh at Penn State is looking like contender for National Championship after slightly disappointing career.   I'm so impressed with his skill, he is as smooth as a lightweight.   Schiller is senior.    Plus there are interesting dark horses in Polizi of Northwestern and Timmy McCall who could upset anybody.   Burak no slouch.