What's the new line up?

Started by leg turk, June 11, 2014, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charteroak1

I personally think if Jesse can't make weight you won't see him in the lineup this year.  1st There in no way they move Taylor up.  2nd Luebek I'm sure has busted his butt to get to 141 and I think Barry and Co. will honor his commitment to the team by giving him the nod and not let Jesse wrestle off for 141.  I'm sure before the end of the season there was an agreement that Jesse would be at 133 and Luebek would be at 141.  I'm sure this won't be a problem since Jesse will make it  ;)

dad 2 5

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 19, 2014, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on October 14, 2014, 07:12:55 PM
Based on a recent Barry Davis interview on takedown radio, it sounds like Thielke is still working on getting his weight down to 133 and he is not sure yet if Lantz will redshirt or step in at 133 this year.  

http://www.takedownradio.com/articles/8522

IF JT cant get to 33 it opens the discussion:
1) move JT back to 41?
2) Move RT up from 25 and start JJ to keep Lantz redshirt
or
25 = RT; 33 + Lantz; 41 = JT
and then you wonder if Crone goes after Lubeck at 49
???
Not panicking caus I think JT makes 33 but it could cause a lot of change.  

dad 2 5

125 JJ
133 RT
141 JT or AC or GG (I am only guessing as I did not get to talk to anyone in the program today - JT)
149 RL or TR (forfeit or RL because TR is a little banged up)
157 SL
165 IJ
174 FC
184 RR
197 TM
Hwy CM

Is that what we are going into this weekend with?

neutral

According to Barry ...
... Lubeck won't wrestle again before the 2nd or 3rd week in December
... Crone could be in the mix at 149 before then

I would think Theilke or Grahek at 141.

------------------------------------------

Heard the latest interview after my original post (above in red).  Sounds like ...
... Crone is beat up ... (but would be in the mix at 149, if healthy)
... 149 will be RL or TR ... (interesting since Barry said last week that Lubeck won't wrestle again before the 2nd or 3rd week in December)
... 141 will be Theilke or Grahek
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

mkm13

If Thielke is healthy, he has to be the guy at 141.  Taking nothing away from Grahek, but I don't think they are on the same level.  If Thielke couldn't make 133, he can't be too undersized for 141. 

npope

Quote from: neutral on November 24, 2014, 07:35:03 PM
... 149 will be RL or TR ... (interesting since Barry said last week that Lubeck won't wrestle again before the 2nd or 3rd week in December)

A week ago? Heck, in this current environment that's as good as last year's news  ;)

I'm waiting for Barry to announce his come back.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Handles II

Interesting reading what is happening with the Gophers this year. Both Dardanes drop weight classes and are making weight making room for a good kid to slide in at '49. The team will be much tougher because of it.
I recall Troy Steiner dropping his senior (and sacrificing big-time to make that weight) to make room for Lincoln and make the team better.

RT and JT are bumping up, and pushing a good kid (lubeck) up to 49 where he will struggle if he even makes the line-up. If he does he would push either Crone or Ruschell out.

Obviously none of these can be considered identical situations, but often in sports we see someone who will sacrifice their comfort for the betterment of the team. I guess time will tell if this situation will be better for the Badgers, or perhaps we will never know. My hunch right now is that we won't see more than 1 NCAA qualifier out of the first 4 weights. I certainly hope I'm wrong and Barry is right.

badgerjohn

Quote from: Handles II on November 25, 2014, 07:55:09 AM
.... and pushing a good kid (lubeck) up to 49 where he will struggle ......

Rylan is moving up because he struggled at 141 (too much of a cut, loss of strength), not because anybody pushed him up
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

npope

....someone who will sacrifice their comfort for the betterment of the team.

Comfort is it? I gotta think you were a heavyweight, Handles. Cutting hard weight was never just an issue of "comfort." It's a pretty ugly experience with some potentially long-term damaging effects.

That said, the Dardanes are indeed "sacrificing their comfort" for the team (and quite possibly doing the only thing that can do to keep a place in the line-up - so it might not be as noble as you make it out to be).
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

MNbadger

The Dardanes moved UP last year to make room for a wrestler (Thorn or Chris Dardanes would have been bumped in a wrestle off).
Thorn could no longer hold 125. 
Their performance though still very good was not what it will likely be this year.  If you follow the Gophers closely you know that Dardanes have a physical style that works best when they are not outsized as they were last year (albeit a small amount).
You will see them dominate their opponents more as they did two years ago at these weights.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

crossface21

I don't know if I would say that RL will "struggle" at 149. It's what he wrestled at last year. It's the weight class that he was a National Qualifier at. It's the weight class that he won 2 matches at Nationals at.

Handles II

Quote from: npope on November 25, 2014, 08:54:44 AM
....someone who will sacrifice their comfort for the betterment of the team.

Comfort is it? I gotta think you were a heavyweight, Handles. Cutting hard weight was never just an issue of "comfort." It's a pretty ugly experience with some potentially long-term damaging effects.

That said, the Dardanes are indeed "sacrificing their comfort" for the team (and quite possibly doing the only thing that can do to keep a place in the line-up - so it might not be as noble as you make it out to be).

I'm almost a hwt now...does that count?  ;D