Previous topic - Next topic

badgerjohn

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

billymurphy

Drew Hammen would know the story far better than me, but
if I remember correctly, James Barker from Neenah, WI
came to the Badgers and the program listed him at either/or
165/174 and I think he finished one season with the Badgers and
by the time summer was over he had visibly become a very big heavyweight.
However, he retired from wrestling well
before the season began as he must have decided not to give it a go at heavyweight.

hammen

Quote from: billymurphy on June 24, 2014, 05:30:55 PM
Drew Hammen would know the story far better than me, but
if I remember correctly, James Barker from Neenah, WI
came to the Badgers and the program listed him at either/or
165/174 and I think he finished one season with the Badgers and
by the time summer was over he had visibly become a very big heavyweight.
However, he retired from wrestling well
before the season began as he must have decided not to give it a go at heavyweight.

James was a guy who could let his body get heavier based on his build. I'm not sure how big he got though. Rutt was the same way, and was typically 205+ in the offseason when he was 184. Graff was never more than 145 pretty much throughout his career, which is right around where I was in the summer of my last year. I remember the summer before Bugenhagen started at 184, he came in around 215 I want to say, and everyone was like "what the heck!" He was quite the physical monster. Zeke has the frame to easily move up if he wants to. I'm sure the decision to do so or not was made before the semester was over, so his summer training can be tailored to whatever his wrestling weight will be. We've all seen the successes of guys wrestling up, and with Zeke's proven abilities it may be an edge on the competition to be focusing on staying strong and wrestling versus spending time and energy to manage weight.

mkm13

Quote from: dad 2 5 on June 24, 2014, 04:19:10 PM
It will be interesting where Zeke ends up. I have not talked to him but a couple guys on the team said he was going 65 which from a team stand point makes a lot of sense. If he goes 57 it is better for him.

With the way scoring is now and the importance on AA's and placing high you have to let your best wrestlers pick their best weight and go from there.  Zeke should pick his best weight (maybe that is 165 this year?), and the rest can fill in.  I am not sure him being at 65 makes the team much better than him being at 57.  I think Liegel at 165 would perform similar to how Ruschell/York would perform at 157. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Updated Projection - Liegel and York at 157

125 Taylor, Cavallaris
133 Thielke, Grahek
141 Crone, Grahek, Lubeck?
149 Lubeck, Ruschell, Crone
157 Ruschell, Liegel, York, Donar - Tossup
165 Jordan
174 Stilling, Iczkowski, Cousins, Cox - Tossup
184 Robertson
197 McCall, Peissig
285 Medbery, Horwath

There will some big time battles to get the starters at 141, 149, and 157.  It will be interesting if the veterans can hold off Stilling at 174. Can Crone, Grahek, or Liegel crack the lineup?  All three have shown great potential over the last year.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

imnofish

There are some names that have been left out of the mix, because we assume they will redshirt.  Don't count those guys out; one of them will probably surprise us by cracking the lineup.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Black Cloud

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson

dad 2 5

Seems to be full agreement on Hwy = Medberry; 97 = McCall; 84 = Robertson; 33 = Thielke and a majority that 25 = Taylor. SO  ;)we :) have half the line up set.
In question 41; 49; 57; 65; 74.
I am convince Jordan is at 65 because of who I heard it from, but that does not mean I will be right.
So that would leave battles at 41;49;57;74.
41 Crone wrestle off vs Grahek (Crone won 4-0 last year at one meet)
49 Lubeck ended up the starter but Ruschell had the better record
57 could it be Donar vs Weber? or is it Liegel who had a 20-4 redshirt record or Ruschell move up.
74 Stilling with a great redshirt record of 19-6 but could Iczy drop down and be strong there?

Pretty exciting looking forward to the battles and the season!!!

Gutwrench

Quote from: dad 2 5 on June 26, 2014, 05:17:23 PM
Seems to be full agreement on Hwy = Medberry; 97 = McCall; 84 = Robertson; 33 = Thielke and a majority that 25 = Taylor. SO  ;)we :) have half the line up set.
In question 41; 49; 57; 65; 74.
I am convince Jordan is at 65 because of who I heard it from, but that does not mean I will be right.
So that would leave battles at 41;49;57;74.
41 Crone wrestle off vs Grahek (Crone won 4-0 last year at one meet)
49 Lubeck ended up the starter but Ruschell had the better record
57 could it be Donar vs Weber? or is it Liegel who had a 20-4 redshirt record or Ruschell move up.
74 Stilling with a great redshirt record of 19-6 but could Iczy drop down and be strong there?

Pretty exciting looking forward to the battles and the season!!!

Great run down!  Thanks!

dad 2 5

Hope you guys get a clearer picture of the team and see what weights guys are "for sure going to be at. Wish I could come out but can't make it. Taylor can make 25 another year right?

bigG

That is sort of a fulcrum for this team. Glad you asked, Dad.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

I have heard that Taylor has no problem making 125.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Updated Projection:
125 Taylor, Cavallaris
133 Thielke, Grahek
141 Lubeck, Crone, Grahek
149 Ruschell, Crone, York - Tossup
157 Liegel, Donar, Weber - Tossup
165 Jordan
184 Robertson
197 McCall, Peissig
285 Medbery, Horwath

Kirk Nelson

RollTide

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 02, 2014, 09:05:57 AM
Updated Projection:
125 Taylor, Cavallaris
133 Thielke, Grahek
141 Lubeck, Crone, Grahek
149 Ruschell, Crone, York - Tossup
157 Liegel, Donar, Weber - Tossup
165 Jordan
184 Robertson
197 McCall, Peissig
285 Medbery, Horwath

Looks pretty accurate to me.  Pretty sure Lubeck will be 141.  Didn't I hear from somewhere that Liegel is recovering from surgery and won't be available early in the season?