thoughts on next year

Started by neutral, March 23, 2014, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

I was told JT was under weight before practice much of the time.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

HMsDad

My son was at a JT camp in November and he told us he was walking around at about 140 natural. I just don't see any Badger taking 133 from him next year.

jaguarwrestler

I think many are basing the outcome on the results this year... yet RT was a big 125 and JT a small 141.... for the best team we need RT at 125 and JT at 133
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

HMsDad

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 25, 2014, 12:41:25 PM
I think many are basing the outcome on the results this year... yet RT was a big 125 and JT a small 141.... for the best team we need RT at 125 and JT at 133
I agree

npope

During JT's redshirt freshman campaign he was mysteriously held out of a handful of opens without explanation. The word I got from a person close to the program was that JT had outgrown 133 (and that he would never see it again); the coaches were giving him some down time to "grow into" the 141 weight class before asking him to actually compete at that weight. Maybe the situation has changed since he made the cut back down to 132 for international competition last summer, but that information came from a pretty (typically) reliable source. The source said that JT would "never see 133 again after Midlands" a year ago.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

aarons23

Quote from: npope on March 25, 2014, 03:56:20 PM
During JT's redshirt freshman campaign he was mysteriously held out of a handful of opens without explanation. The word I got from a person close to the program was that JT had outgrown 133 (and that he would never see it again); the coaches were giving him some down time to "grow into" the 141 weight class before asking him to actually compete at that weight. Maybe the situation has changed since he made the cut back down to 132 for international competition last summer, but that information came from a pretty (typically) reliable source. The source said that JT would "never see 133 again after Midlands" a year ago.

Your source was wrong. ;)
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

harley

Quote from: npope on March 25, 2014, 03:56:20 PM

Heard the same thing

Spartan

So let me get this straight, Your source said he would never see 133 again after the Midlands, yet he cut to 132 for the world team this fall? If he can make 132 he can make 133 for the season. I have seen JT up close against other 141lbs and he was a small 141.

hammer

Personally I think that they held him out for more training. I think JT transition from high school to Greco to college folkstyle was a tad more than maybe anyone expected.

With that said, I wish him the best because I think the last few years the seasoning has helped him and I think he will make a nice little run now that he is more in tune with college.

npope

Quote from: Spartan on March 25, 2014, 05:17:41 PM
So let me get this straight, Your source said he would never see 133 again after the Midlands, yet he cut to 132 for the world team this fall? If he can make 132 he can make 133 for the season. I have seen JT up close against other 141lbs and he was a small 141.

Yup - exactly. The cuts that the international guys make are unreal (and unhealthy). The source, who again is someone who has some experience in this stuff and was/is close to the actual guys and coaches on the team, fully acknowledged the anticipated coming cut to 132 last summer. I think what may have been unexpected was that in making that cut, JT simply reduced his body size and never fully returned to his pre-2013 bulk. I think that's what we are seeing now.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mkm13

A few weeks before the season started this year Thielke had an interview and said at the end of last year, he was closer to a true 41.  He said during the summer making the cut for Greco, he lost that weight/muscle and his body was not like that anymore.  He wanted to wrestle off Graff for 133.  I have no doubt his body was more of a 133 this year as he looked very undersized at 141. 

In the future, his Greco weight is 130.  I know the weight cutting is different, but I think Jesse would continue to be a very small 141 in college if he wrestled 130 in the summer.

hammen

Gotta love how FILA is impacting the Badger line-up with the new weights.

neutral

Taylor & Graff are listed at 5'4" ... JT at 5'7".  133-141 looks different on 5'7" than it does on 5'4"

If he has to work that hard to make 130-133 ... all year long - it's may be better for him to stay at 141 for folk-style ... to give his body some  time to recouperate.  It may just be a matter of priorities.

I don't know how realistic it is to expect Taylor at 125 again.  He's looks very big - would sure like to know what he's walkin' around at.

These guys could still be growing.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

billymurphy

This season Graff was going 133 lbs. so Taylor had to go 125 and Thielke had to go 141 if they wanted to be on varsity. 
Next season the alpha male will pick his weight again.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: billymurphy on March 26, 2014, 09:18:40 AM
This season Graff was going 133 lbs. so Taylor had to go 125 and Thielke had to go 141 if they wanted to be on varsity. 
Next season the alpha male will pick his weight again.

pretty much spot on.