Midlands Brackets

Started by badgerjohn, December 28, 2013, 08:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barou

Reality is that Barry's average nationals finish is in the 20's. After 20+ years at the helm is it a surprise that it is looking like a finish of top 20, maybe 15? It's the same verbiage. If a wrestler is successful its because he "bought in". If he isn't successful, he didn't "buy in".  It's all about march unless march doesn't go well then it's all about in the future and not looking at the past.  Being the uw head coach has the best job security in the country, results don't matter. The best wrestlers recruited by wisconsin are wrestling for oklahoma and since Barry's tenure began at least 7 national titles and 2 hodges have been won by wisconsin wrestlers at other schools.
JHI Mafia

hammen

Quote from: boowrestle on December 31, 2013, 03:36:36 PM
Picking down against Colon is about as wrong a choice as taking neutral against Graff,the choice made absolutely no sense at all!!!! ???.Hopefully somebody learns from the mistake.

Since Colon poses zero threat one his feet when down by more than a takedown - guy isn't capable of putting an elite wrestler from feet to back obviously.

MantyShip160

Bottom line, in a tough close match you make decisions that play to your strengths to win the match, not what plays into your opponents strengths. The practice room is where you work on things to get better or in a match against a lesser opponent. In must win matches you stick to what you do best and what wins you matches! JMHO

mkm13

Quote from: hammen on December 31, 2013, 03:29:37 PM
I don't think anyone is trying to say that. Tyler isn't sacrificing the match by going down. Tyler got out in the 2nd, showing he is capable. Get out again and ice the match. The positive of going down and having the result that occurred is that there is room for adjustments/improvements. He knows what he did wrong, and what needs to be adjusted. No one is throwing a match, that's just silly at this level.

Correct.  Also, it seems everyone is assuming that if Graff picked neutral, he would have won for sure.  Colon is extremely good on his feet as well (as Ramos quickly found out).

harley

Quote from: mkm13 on December 31, 2013, 03:55:35 PM
I don't think anyone is trying to say that. Tyler isn't sacrificing the match by going down. Tyler got out in the 2nd, showing he is capable. Get out again and ice the match. The positive of going down and having the result that occurred is that there is room for adjustments/improvements. He knows what he did wrong, and what needs to be adjusted. No one is throwing a match, that's just silly at this level.

Correct.  Also, it seems everyone is assuming that if Graff picked neutral, he would have won for sure.  Colon is extremely good on his feet as well (as Ramos quickly found out).

He has yet to take Graff down, Graff much better on his feet, Colon and UNI coaching staff know that I would bet

npope

I don't mean to suggest that the Badgers were intending to "throw" the match in exchange for "learning" something that they may not have already known. What I do mean to say is that I don't think the coaching staff said, in that moment, "Well, we have a learning opportunity here so let's get under Colon again, even if it means putting this win in jeopardy, just to see if we can get away from him once more in this match."

I just don't see it. I think the focus was all about getting into the semis to get a shot at Schopp and then on to the finals to get Ramos. I don't think the idea of making that moment a "learning opportunity" popped into anyone's head - everything was focused on winning the match - period. That said, I think the coaches felt that the odds were in favor of Graff getting out once again and that would have sealed the deal. But it turns out to have been a bad decision (hindsight is a wonderful thing) - Ty wasn't up to the challenge of getting out from under Colon. Lesson learned - move on and avoid it the next time if you can. I don't blame the coaches for a flawed (in hind sight) strategy, I just think we should all recognize it for what it was instead of making it sound like it was part of some grand strategy aimed at March.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mkm13

Quote from: harley on December 31, 2013, 04:00:21 PM

He has yet to take Graff down, Graff much better on his feet, Colon and UNI coaching staff know that I would bet

And Graff has 1 takedown on Colon, I would not call Graff much better on his feet.  You are not giving Colon enough credit.  Colon is wrestling very tough right now.  I do agree though that Graff is elite on his feet and has a small edge there. 

I would have liked my chances with Graff if he chose neutral, just saying it wouldn't be a sure win if he did.  I would also like my chances next time up 3-0 with Graff choosing down.  He has the ability to get out, or at minimum, not get turned.

harley

Quote from: mkm13 on December 31, 2013, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: harley on December 31, 2013, 04:00:21 PM

And Graff has 1 takedown on Colon, I would not call Graff much better on his feet.  You are not giving Colon enough credit.  Colon is wrestling very tough right now.  I do agree though that Graff is elite on his feet and has a small edge there. 

I would have liked my chances with Graff if he chose neutral, just saying it wouldn't be a sure win if he did.  I would also like my chances next time up 3-0 with Graff choosing down.  He has the ability to get out, or at minimum, not get turned.

Your not giving Colon much credit, he has turned Graff 4 times now :).. I give Colon more credit on this board then almost any poster, he has wrestled my son 3 times, I have seen him in action, he is a complete beast on top, I think Graff has more then a slight advantage on his feet but that is just my opinion.
I am not saying I am right or Hammen is wrong, I just think it is strange to play into your opponents strengths, I do believe every match counts as this will effect seeding for nationals.
I wish Graff the best, I for one will be pulling for him to be standing on the top of the podium, I have seen him practice in the wrestling room, you talk about hard work, and determined, kid just doesn't stop.

theunionchair

Midlands are done and it is time to move on.  Tyler is going to hit the room and work hard to improve. We all know that. There are more wrestlers than just Colon, so Tyler has to work on his own strengths and not worry about others. 133 is a tough class. Many wrestlers have strengths that Colon doesn't have, including Tyler, so he just has to focus on himself to be the best he can be. HE CAN BEAT ANYONE RANKED AHEAD OF HIM CURRENTLY! As long as he is smart and wrestles to the best of his ability, (and his coaches help him with smart strategy choices during the match).

A.J. Schopp    Edinboro    Junior    EWL    2
Tony Ramos    Iowa    Senior    Big Ten    3
Jon Morrison    Oklahoma State    Senior    Big 12    4
Mason Beckman Lehigh    Sophomore    EIWA    5
Ryan Mango    Stanford    Senior    Pac-12    1
Johnni DiJulius    Ohio State    Sophomore    Big Ten    6
Joe Colon            Northern Iowa    Senior    MAC    7
Tyler Graff         Wisconsin

leg turk

I see the Southern Scuffle is being covered by Trackwrestling.   Why on earth doesn't Midlands use track?