2013-14 team

Started by BuckyMatt, March 24, 2013, 09:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

Lantz has actually struggled on the national scene the last few years. He is a good mat wrestler.  These top WI guys really need to prove themselves on the national level this summer.  There are a couple of true blue chip recruits in Illinois that would be nice to get.  To replace Graff WI is going to have to go out of state.  Wish list:

1.   Jered Cortez   Glenbard North   IL   Junior
2.   Micah Jordan   St. Paris Graham   OH   Junior
3.   Mark Hall   Apple Valley   MN   Freshman
4.   Lance Benick   Totino Grace   MN   Sophomore   
5.   Sam Stoll   Kasson-Mantorville   MN   Junior

Scourge

Quote from: billymurphy on April 02, 2013, 10:09:56 PM
Lantz has actually struggled on the national scene the last few years. He is a good mat wrestler.  These top WI guys really need to prove themselves on the national level this summer.  There are a couple of true blue chip recruits in Illinois that would be nice to get.  To replace Graff WI is going to have to go out of state.  Wish list:

1.   Jered Cortez   Glenbard North   IL   Junior
2.   Micah Jordan   St. Paris Graham   OH   Junior
3.   Mark Hall   Apple Valley   MN   Freshman
4.   Lance Benick   Totino Grace   MN   Sophomore   
5.   Sam Stoll   Kasson-Mantorville   MN   Junior

Yeah, I'd say he'd be topping any long term wish list there is out there, and the AV connection helps.

Jordan is obvious.  Breske is another Freshmen that I think you have to try and lock up early, though if he's a big Greco guy, he may cross the river to wrestle.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Updated Projected Roster ...

125 - Taylor, Cavallaris
133 - Graff, Kelliher, Crone
141 - Thielke, Glenn, Lubeck
149 - York, Ruschell, Moe
157 - Jordan, Yde, Cathery, Justin Weber
165 - Cousins, Cox, Koethe, Seth Leigel
174 - Scott Liegel, Hochstaetter, Stilling
184 - Iczkowski, Gennrich, Veling, Robertson
197 - Hein, McCall, Brandon Weber, Hines
285 - Medbery, Tobin, Horwath
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on April 29, 2013, 01:18:49 PM

125 - Taylor, Cavallaris

That almost passes for having some depth! Of course, just projections at this point and the Badgers will likely lose at least a couple. And too, the allowable number in the room is only 30 (or is it 33?). That means that at least a couple of names won't be on the mat next fall.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Drivingforce

Quote from: npope on April 29, 2013, 01:48:38 PM

125 - Taylor, Cavallaris

That almost passes for having some depth! Of course, just projections at this point and the Badgers will likely lose at least a couple. And too, the allowable number in the room is only 30 (or is it 33?). That means that at least a couple of names won't be on the mat next fall.
I'm not "in the know' like some of you but...I don't see any way Lubeck gets down to 141. 149 if he doesn't have any growth spurt.

dad 2 5

I would thing Crone, Robinson and Seth will redshirt. I agree will looks like we are building depth and that the 13-14 class it critical to growing the program!

Briopiate

Quote from: Drivingforce on April 29, 2013, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: npope on April 29, 2013, 01:48:38 PM

125 - Taylor, Cavallaris

I'm not "in the know' like some of you but...I don't see any way Lubeck gets down to 141. 149 if he doesn't have any growth spurt.

I hope the Badgers have learned from last year (and guys like Dake and Oliver...) that drastic weight cuts are not needed to help the team. I wonder how York and Lubeck match up? I would think having Lubeck in there at 149 would provide the most upside...provided he can beat Ruschell...

badgerjohn

Lubeck wrestled 141 at the opens he went to this past season.  Ruschell was 141 beginning of the season and moved up to 149 mid season.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

billymurphy

I see no reason why we would not have a lubeck vs. Thielke wrestle off at 141 lbs next season unless Lubeck already has made the decision to wrestle off Ruschell at 149 lbs and secure a varsity spot.  Lubeck and Ruschell have wrestled close matches, where as one would have to believe Theilke would be a big favorite once he becomes a true 141 lbs guy.  Taylor is a favorite at 125 obviously as that  was a huge hole last season.  I read in the newspaper where undefeated state champion Peissig is considering walking on next year.  He might have a fighting chance for varsity at 184 next season if he decides to do it. Roberson is the blue chip recruit at 184/197.  There will likely be a lot of seniors in the lineup next year so that sure should mean that the team will be very good next year which also means a bunch of scholarship money will be freed up so a very good recruiting class should be possible with Coach Brandvold continuing to pull blue chips out of Illinois as well as the top WI guys.  Having a coach who is a good recruiter is pivotal to success.

Harris

Would love to see Peissig walk on.  He is a great young man.

jaguarwrestler

Personally, I believe Lubeck would go 149, I think he would be the starter.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

canvasback

The Badgers should, barring injuries, be very good.  A possible 3rd place behind Penn St. and Minn.!

MNbadger

"I hope the Badgers have learned from last year (and guys like Dake and Oliver...) that drastic weight cuts are not needed to help the team."

This is true IF you have a "Dake" or "Oliver".  These are rare birds and most can't do what they do, hence cutting weight.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

cubfan

Baby steps Canvas Back.  ;)

billymurphy

I think the Iowa fans would have a pretty good belly laugh if they heard that WI fans think we will finish ahead of them this coming year.  Keep in mind that we finished behind them in all 10 weights this past season.