Illinois, Sunday, 2-8-15

Started by leg turk, February 03, 2015, 07:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbird

Martinez is a beast at 157, but he isn't a pinner.  He attacks, attacks, attacks on his feet but doesn't seem too interested in riding at all. 

Quote from: Goat Roper on February 03, 2015, 08:11:16 PM
Quote from: Wrestling fan on February 03, 2015, 08:04:34 PM
Did graff wrestle Richards last year? I think 133 is the key weight, and we got to stay off our back @ 157, that kid is pretty tough.
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/120613aaa.html

Looks like Graff won.

Huckfinn

Quote from: stbird on February 06, 2015, 08:21:58 AM
Martinez is a beast at 157, but he isn't a pinner.  He attacks, attacks, attacks on his feet but doesn't seem too interested in riding at all.  

I was late coming to the party, but I am gripped by Martinez fever.  That kid is unbelievable.
I disagree that he isn't a pinner, but he definitely is more of a freestyle guy.  You're right, he does little from top position but horse the guy around when he feels like it.

For a bit I thought he was the new David Taylor, just because he is so dominant as a freshman, so aggressive, a point-scoring machine.   But Martinez is just getting started, not only does he not use a variety of moves as a rider,   he really uses some very predictable techniques on his feet.   The kid is so physically gifted, he creams everybody with strength, stamina, burst, balance.    To me, Martinez looks like a kid in highschool who is just much more physical than the other boys, wins every match.

Too bad Martinez is such an extreme punk.   All the shoving.   Waving to the crowd in the middle of the match.  The Mexican Muhammed Ali.  But he sure can back it up.

I predict Martinez will be 4-time NCAA champ.    David Taylor was a polished wrestler as a freshman.   Martinez is just getting started, his upside is with the wrestling gods.

Jimmy

Couldn't agree more huck.he wrestles mean with a huge chip on his shoulder. Will be one of the greats before his career is over

badgerjohn

Quote133: #3 Zane Richards vs. #7 Ryan Taylor
Richards is coming off an upset loss to #11 Danny Sabatello of Purdue. Taylor will be the seventh ranked wrestler that Richards has wrestled this season. Richards is 3-3 against ranked foes this season.

165: #8 Jackson Morse vs. #3 Isaac Jordan
Morse is 6-2 since the start of Big Ten competition. He is 3-3 against ranked opponents this season, but Jordan has the best ranking of anyone Morse has faced this season. Jordan is up from a weight class after wrestling at 157 pounds last season.

184: #18 Nikko Reyes vs. #14 Ricky Robertson
Reyes has won three straight matches entering his bout with Robertson. Reyes is just 1-8 against ranked opponents this season. Reyes is 5-3 in Big Ten duals, while Robertson is 6-1.

Sounds good on paper.  But Tom says they still gotta wrestle on the mat.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

TLV

I wanna see Jordan against Martinez!!! Can't Jordan cut down a little bit tonite....or Martinez move up??? Or meet at an agreed weight....just for me, dammit.
Martinez is a great wrestler....but I seriously doubt that he will be a 4 timer. Remember Coon from MIch last year. Beat the inappropriate term3 out of everyone including defending champ Nelson and folded at end of season. I don't think he'll get by Ness.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

TLV

Tom.....YO, TOM....I did NOT say 'blazes" ;D
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

harley

Interesting comment by Coach Davis

""We didn't wrestle our best, but we won. It's a win in the win column, but there are still things to work on. We need to get better and make some adjustments and get ready for Sunday," Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Davis said. "Sunday there will probably be a few changes to the lineup. That's what you have to do though, you have to keep guys on their toes."

Huckfinn

Quote from: harley on February 07, 2015, 10:33:13 AM

""We didn't wrestle our best, but we won. It's a win in the win column, but there are still things to work on. We need to get better and make some adjustments and get ready for Sunday," Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Davis said. "Sunday there will probably be a few changes to the lineup. That's what you have to do though, you have to keep guys on their toes."

I wonder if Barry can make weight at 141

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: harley on February 07, 2015, 10:33:13 AM

That probably means Crone, Ruschell, Liegel, and maybe Grahek need to be ready if called upon. 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

jaguarwrestler

is Seth hurt or is Donar beating him?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

leg turk

Any coverage of the match today, maybe badger twitter?

hammen

It's on at 1 CST on BTNPlus. I might be able to do updates.