Colt Lyerla

Started by The Last Ride, May 19, 2014, 10:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Last Ride

Packers are giving a player with a troubled past a second chance. Some scouts say he was top 10 talent. As good as Ebron. Hope he has turned his life around and takes this opportunity to do something positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqbrR8FOYI

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/259866681.html

"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

DrSnide

Would have been 1st/2nd round guy if not for the off field stuff.

If he can move past that sky is the limit for him, particularly in this offense.

Great low risk pick up for TT.  If I'm Stoneburner I'm feeling a little nervous right now.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

I hope he does well on and off the field.  Love to see people overcome obstacles, even if they were self-imposed.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

I love the idea of the guy turning it around, do find it curious that Chip didn't call on him. Packers were one of 3 teams at his pro day.

He was a hundredth slower than Ebron and jumped 4.5" higher. Very good blocker as well.

DrSnide

I think (if everything pans out) Mccarthy is going to have a lot of fun with Lyerla.  The guy played a lot of fullback and H Back in college also and even some halfback (gaining 65 yards and a TD in one game). Imagine a line up with all those receivers, Finley or Rogers (or both) at TE and Lyerla in the backfield with Lacey. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

TomM

Hope his 'chemistry' levels out.  That can be a tough order.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Sounds like he could use a little Green Bay. Solid ethics and the expectation of the same.

Just be a man. That said, I hope Johnny Jolly sticks around to make the team as tough as it was with him. He's a heavy load.

Not many things you can do that can't be forgiven. Just ask for it and redeem yourself through action. There will always be some wash-woman that will hold onto your sins. There will also be people to help you become the person you hope to be; and overcome your shortcomings. I hope he hit an all-time low. We'll see a superstar arise if he has the character to do so. I like this pick. Double tights, and the receiving core we have. Watchit! I'd like one more solid O-lineman for freshness/backup. Still, another tough tight, and that can take some pressure off Rodgers; especially if our run stays tough.

I'm pumped already. Got some fun summer wrestling to watch first, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Marshall-in-his-happy-place-with-Bears/9d025e11-71dc-4406-8400-452e6e06268c

Here's an example of a troubled guy who got a second chance and it has worked out very well.  Hope the same for Colt.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Dude's a brute.  Even though I want to see the Pack knock him into next week, sounds like he's turned an important corner in his life. I thank God for saving mine; and many of my babies'. Anyone of us could take a fall. You find your friends before the dust even clears.

easytopin

Just goes to show ya that you can do Coke, Run from Cops and quit on your team and if u have a good combine you can still get signed to a pro contract.

imnofish

Quote from: easytopin on May 30, 2014, 10:14:14 AM
Just goes to show ya that you can do Coke, Run from Cops and quit on your team and if u have a good combine you can still get signed to a pro contract.

He has a second chance, at this point.  Nothing's guaranteed.  I hope for people to do better, but that doesn't mean I agree with their mistakes.  It means I don't think every mistake deserves a life sentence. 

easytopin

Third chance that is. The Coke and cops were one and quitting on his team was number two

imnofish

Quote from: easytopin on May 30, 2014, 03:18:46 PM
Third chance that is. The Coke and cops were one and quitting on his team was number two

Sounds like he's behind in the count.  With one strike left, he can still hit a dinger, though.  We'll just have to see how it plays out. 

bigoil

All the talk is about a new home, team is a family. Time will tell.

bigG

Gotta start with just solid contact. "He who try to hit dinger seldom do. He who try for solid contact (with fast hands, not over front foot, and where balls is pitched)with two strike, hits winning dinger." -Confucious

Dude's worth a shot. Word's still our on Finley, so we'll need some horse to step up and take catches from possibly the best QB in the league. If that don't pump a young tight end up, I don't know what would.