UW Update

Started by TBrandvold, January 06, 2014, 01:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBrandvold

I hope everyone is enjoying the start to 2014!

We have been working hard in Madison since Midlands and are trying to get everyone healthy and ready to rock for this upcoming weekend.  We have two huge duals against OSU and Minnesota.  It will be a great chance to rebound from Midlands and get some big wins over the weekend.  I'm looking forward to a good crowd Friday night here in Madison and for our fans in Western Wisconsin to bring some red into the pavilion on Sunday!

The New Year break from school gives our guys a chance to focus on their training and tightening skills up for the Big Ten dual season.  It also gives us a chance to evaluate where we are as individuals and a program.  We know that the experience our athletes have gotten will help us reach our goals over the next few months and beyond as a team.

This forum has been GREAT for wrestling and Wisconsin Wrestling in general.  It is awesome that the wrestling community can communicate and share opinions.  It does frustrate me how much negative chatter there is however.  It isn't good for our athletes or potential recruits to look at or read.  We are big boys though and know that everyone is entitled to their opinions and some of the criticism is just.  Here's a little rundown of what the program has been able to do in 2013 that will give us a chance to become a top program!  To go from where we were two years ago to where we want to be as a program takes a little time.  We have a process, we believe in it, and it IS working!  To say otherwise is unwise and biased.

- 2013 was the 1st time in 3 years that we had the same three coaches on staff leading to consistency from the coaching position
Because of this we have developed core values, a vision, and a mission for the program.

- In 2013 we hired Mitch Hull to run the BWC.  Mitch has started an RTC in Madison and has started fundraising to keep athletes here and to bring in other post grad athletes to train.  His ties to USA wrestling will also provide us with great training opportunities here at UW and to send our guys out to Colorado Springs to train.  He also will help us run our camps and with High School outreach. 

- We won the community service award and the Champs Cup for GPA, service, and spirit in the athletic program

- We had wrestlers on the University Freestyle World Team and the Senior Greco World team. 

- We welcomed in a recruiting class with four Wisconsin State Champions and a number 1 ranked recruit at 195lbs from ILL

- We have put together the #10 ranked recruiting class in the country for 2014 and are looking to add to it.  We have gotten three of Wisconsin's top Sr's, a stud from MN, one of Illinois top wrestlers and Washington's best Sr.  We are ranked ahead of Iowa and Minnesota in those rankings.

- We have a team that is 2-0 in the Big Ten

- We have leaders in the athletic dept in all sorts of organizations

- We get to hold Big Tens in Madison!

- We aren't a top 5 program yet but we have taken and will continue to take the steps through the RTC, recruiting, and developing guys that can get us there.  In my 5 years at Madison we finished in the top 10 4-times.  We've been there before and we will do it again.  It is a process and special things are coming.  Hopefully starting this Friday!  We have a great group of guys that are working their tales off to be as good as they can be.  That's what we ask!         

Keep Warm, On Wisconsin

BOURNE

Thanks for the update (and reminder), Trevor.

Keep up the great work.

Musky Hunter

Good luck the rest of the way.  Should be fun. 

onwisconsin

Thank you Trevor.    Keep working hard and keep with the plan (coaching and recruiting).   Mitch Hull and the BWC is a great thing as I see it.      Congrats on the Champ Cup ... cool award for the boys.     Have a great rest of the season!!

Hawk89

Trevor. Thanks for the update. I hope all Badger fans will really jump on supporting the efforts of these coaches. I really appreciate the compassion for the UW program these gentlemen displayed when talking about where they want to see the program go. Really enjoyed the insight of their vision as we talked at the Cheesehead.

LaValle

Thanks Trevor for the update and the positive attitude!

Also great to see all of the Badger wrestlers and all of the coaches, along with Mitch Hull and the BWC members working at the BWC duals and BWC K-6 tournament this weekend.  Very exciting to see everyone working together to support the youth wrestling in Wisconsin.
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I really like the quality of the recruits coming in.  The vast amount of Greco and Freestyle experience they possess is quite impressive.
The level and depth of talent in the wrestling room has clearly been increasing over the last couple of years and that will continue next year.

This year, I like our chances to have quite a few more qualifiers to the NCAA's than last year.  I think we will get better as the season goes on.  

And the Big Ten's are going to be awesome !!!

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

dad 2 5

Excellent post Trevor! Keep working and digging hard. This team has the potential to have a big March and there are young guys that could keep moving themselves and the program forward.

bigG

Thanks for the information, TB. Good to hear what's all on the team's mind. Some nice opportunities coming up.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Harris

I love your enthusiasm Trevor.  I can't wait to see what happens the remainder of the year.  Keep those young men working hard and keep them healthy.  It is just as much mental as it is physical at this point in the season.  A lot of the negative chatter comes from having high expectations.  As you know, the best way to quiet that noise is to go out and wrestle competitively the remainder of the season.

JAMMIN

"- We have put together the #10 ranked recruiting class in the country for 2014 and are looking to add to it.  We have gotten three of Wisconsin's top Sr's, a stud from MN, one of Illinois top wrestlers and Washington's best Sr.  We are ranked ahead of Iowa and Minnesota in those rankings. "

Where did you get your rankings from?  Iowa and Minnesota have 4 top 100 kids each.  Wisconsin has 2.

10-08-13    Iowa    No. 37 Seth Gross    Apple Valley    MN    133/141
10-28-13    Iowa    No. 93 Logan Ryan    Bettendorf    IA    149
07-03-13    Iowa    No. 62 Burke Paddock    Warsaw    NY    165/174
10-13-13    Iowa    No. 12 Sam Stoll    Kasson-Mantorville    MN    285
10-28-13    Iowa    Tagen Lambotte    Rossville    KS    149

08-08-13    Minnesota    No. 59 Nathan Rose    Sibley East    MN    197
11-05-13    Minnesota    No. 94 Jack Bass    Robinson    VA    157
11-01-13    Minnesota    Will Balow    Lake City    MN    184/197
11-07-13    Minnesota    Colin Carr    Washington    IL    184
05-13-13    Minnesota    No. 26 Tommy Thorn    St. Michael-Albertville    MN    125/133
10-14-13    Minnesota    No. 58 Ethan Lizak    Parkland    PA    125

10-02-13    Wisconsin    Tyler Schmidt    Merrill    WI    285
04-05-13    Wisconsin    No. 73 Johnny Jimenez    Marmion Academy    IL    125/133
10-01-13    Wisconsin    No. 48 Ryan Christensen    Woodinville    WA    184
11-19-13    Wisconsin    Luke Rowh    Hastings    MN    141
09-22-13    Wisconsin    Jens Lantz    Ellsworth    WI    133/141
09-23-13    Wisconsin    Jared Scharenbrock    Sun Prairie    WI    157/165

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrestlersdad

Theres always gotta be one doesn't there??????
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

whatever

Quote from: wrestlersdad on January 07, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
Theres always gotta be one doesn't there??????

;D ;D ;D  That was good!
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

jaguarwrestler

we are fans

short for fanatics

we are critical because we want the best

some are negative, overly negative instead of using critique

we also have to remember some are here just to spread doom and gloom and not actually fans of the team.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!