Wisconsin vs Michigan State ( Sunday)

Started by dad 2 5, December 06, 2013, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

Quote from: imnofish on December 11, 2013, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: whatever on December 11, 2013, 09:52:49 AM
Quote from: Oldtimer on December 11, 2013, 09:37:11 AM
So by that logic when AP steps out of bounds as long as his arm is in the field he's golden.  Watched Pitt and Penn State last night and I think the same call opportunity came up and they called the wrestlers out as soon as the foot went out of bounds.  I'm pretty sure there was a large part of the body still in bounds from both wrestlers.
I would say that on a touchdown,  requiring the ball to break the plane is the equivalent of "being in the cylinder "....

Good analogy.  Way to bring a new perspective to the discussion!   8)

Football also benefits from multiple camera angles. I believe there is only 1 camera angle for wrestling, probably not near the quality of that in the NCAA or NFL football games. I like the idea behind the "cylinder" rule, but it's application is going to bring subjectivity in critical moments during a match, where each takedown matters in college. The supporting point rule is/was a great, objective rule that was easy to confirm and understand, especially for fans. The "cylinder" rule just adds some complexity to the sport, and will create unsettling outcomes the more it needs to be applied.

I don't see this rule sticking around very long. The bad reviews will overwhelm those satisfied with the rule.

Spartan

Football also benefits from multiple camera angles. I believe there is only 1 camera angle for wrestling, probably not near the quality of that in the NCAA or NFL football games. I like the idea behind the "cylinder" rule, but it's application is going to bring subjectivity in critical moments during a match, where each takedown matters in college. The supporting point rule is/was a great, objective rule that was easy to confirm and understand, especially for fans. The "cylinder" rule just adds some complexity to the sport, and will create unsettling outcomes the more it needs to be applied.

I don't see this rule sticking around very long. The bad reviews will overwhelm those satisfied with the rule.
[/quote]

Hammen
The cylinder rule is not new. It has been around for several years. I believe it came in the year they extended the mat area to one supporting point in bounds. Or it was a modifications added the year after they expanded the one supporting point rule. From everything that I have heard they like the rule so I don't think it is going away anytime soon.

hammen

Thanks Spartan. Either I'm not very observant, or it has been applied loosely over the past few years. I could think of a few occasions where all supporting points were out, with a leg floating within the "cylinder," and the action was stopped. Even the B1G announcers during the match were extremely confused by it during the MSU match. I understand the reason for it, but I still stand firmly by my comment.