Zander

Started by leg turk, October 23, 2019, 08:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Rumor has it he's back in the mix.

Harris

That would be awesome.  I thought I saw him in a picture in the room recently. 

leg turk

Would he be the front runner right now then for that spot? He's been out of wrestling for awhile now, I wonder how much "catching up" he has to do?

oregoncy

Reading between the lines on his social media it would appear he's back. On twitter with the #backatitagain #recovered and then the instagram of him and Evan in the room together. If he's healthy, big IF obviously, he would be an upgrade on any any of the current 157 options. Upside might not be what it once was, but obviously a lot of talent there.

https://twitter.com/zander394/status/1187132675007508480

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-jTJ2Acyx/?igshid=1d4l1p3pl2cxw

mkm13

Hope he is able to stay healthy and wrestle up to his potential.  It has likely been a very frustrating few years for him dealing with significant injuries.

Will be curious how much his injuries have set him back. 

BuckyMatt

Zander took a Medical Hardship so he's no longer able to compete in the NCAA's. 

leg turk

Quote from: BuckyMatt on October 24, 2019, 10:57:18 AM
Zander took a Medical Hardship so he's no longer able to compete in the NCAA's.

Dang, I was really hoping he was back on the team. Well, maybe he is, he just can't compete for ncaa duals,tourneys.

Boris

Can you explain a medical hardship vs a medical red shirt?

hammen

There is no difference. He can compete in college athletics.

Boris

Thanks Hammen, that's what I thought but didn't know if I was missing something.

BuckyMatt

I should not have used the word "hardship" with medical; as Hammen says, medical redshirts and medical hardships are relatively the same.

At the same time, Medical Retirement/Medical Exception/Medical Disqualification or Medical Non Counter are totally different per the NCAA Division 1 Manuel 15.5.1.3

npope

BuckyMatt, just to be clear, you are saying Zander is no longer eligible because he already took a medical redshirt (or whatever you want to call it)? It would seem that Hammen is of a different opinion. Personally, I have no idea as to the exact rules, but is it possible that a kid can get more than one medical redshirt? I see some kids getting quite a few years to complete their "four years" of eligibility.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

leg turk

Zander's Mom has commented on twitter that he is indeed just a practice partner, so he must not be competing ncaa wise.

DocWrestling

I am guessing that maybe he took a medical retirement.  This allows UW to still keep him on scholarship so it helps the athlete in completing his degree at reduced cost but he can no longer compete.  This also helps UW because his scholarship money does not count against their NCAA max of 9.9.  See it in football where a player gets hurt but can stay on scholarship but the team can add another scholarship player in his place.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

BuckyMatt

Quote from: DocWrestling on October 25, 2019, 08:14:58 AM
I am guessing that maybe he took a medical retirement.  This allows UW to still keep him on scholarship so it helps the athlete in completing his degree at reduced cost but he can no longer compete.  This also helps UW because his scholarship money does not count against their NCAA max of 9.9.  See it in football where a player gets hurt but can stay on scholarship but the team can add another scholarship player in his place.

Bingo!