WTT - Graff

Started by Numbers, May 29, 2014, 07:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Anyone know why Tyler has not registered?

npope

I see that the weigh-ins have been completed and no Graff. Anybody willing to share the story?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Harris

Was wondering the same thing yesterday

npope

Also of note at 57 kg is that McDonough is also entered there - along with Ramos. McD wrestled a weigh up at the last qualifying competition for the trials. A lot of guys cutting awfully hard to be at that weight.

Nat Pope

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Why no Graff. Connor Medbury just teched trice in consolation. Medbury is listed as Titan Mercury wrestling club. Why not Badger wrestling club?  WTH

Briopiate

Wonder if Graff is going to wrestle for @61 kg... I think the team trial for the two non Olympic weights are in Fargo.

npope

Quote from: Brett Favre on May 31, 2014, 12:12:00 PM
Why no Graff. Connor Medbury just teched trice in consolation. Medbury is listed as Titan Mercury wrestling club. Why not Badger wrestling club?  WTH

Not sure what you are looking at, but according to Trackwrestling, Connor didn't wrestle Trice.

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: Briopiate on May 31, 2014, 02:54:54 PM
Wonder if Graff is going to wrestle for @61 kg... I think the team trial for the two non Olympic weights are in Fargo.

I have to wonder what the point of that would be. I can understand doing it when the Olympics are far off, but as they approach I would think you would want to be in the pool with the sharks to measure yourself against the guys you are going to have to beat to make the Olympic team. That said, Graff finished a hair away from being the NCAA champ over Ramos - and now Ramos is in the challenge final against Hazwinkle; winner represents the US in the Worlds. It's strange how things play out; Graff could have had things play out dramatically differently for him and now it appears as though he is staring into the face of a lot of uncertainty regarding his wrestling future.

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Maybe Graff is injured. Who knows? 57 is one of, after 74, the most loaded weights in the tournament. There's no way he'd have been able to compete if he isn't 100%.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

npope

Well, here are those among us who are insiders and know the reasons for Graff's absence. If it was an injury I don't see any reason to sit on that information - it's not like there is a competition two weeks from now where divulging this information would have some implications. The trials were it this year for the World Team, there's nothing waiting around the corner in a month or so.

I am suspicious that the weigh cut took a lot out of Tyler emotionally; its a tough haul. And then to get beaten soundly a couple of times at that weight, after all of that sacrifice...well, I think it can bring a guy to a point where he asks himself some tough questions. I just wonder if Graff is at that point right now.

That said, I don't think it's anybody's job to be telling us the inside details. Rather, as a fan, I am curious.

Nat Pope

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

One of Graff's team mates told me today that he is taking time off, may be burning out

Harris

Regardless of what the future holds for Tyler, he will always be one of my favorite Badger wrestlers for staying the course.  What a great role model and leader for Badger wrestling. 

billymurphy

The weight cut must have been too much and/or injury, otherwise I cannot imagine any other reason why he would miss this opportunity.
Did anyone see Graff put his wrestling shoes in the middle of the mat in his last match?  I see Ramos took advantage of his opportunity.
I would like to know the all time Badger career takedown record.  Graff must have broken that by the beginning of his junior year.
I have never seen somebody faster at getting multiple takedowns in a match. The last 30 seconds of the Ramos match is something that I still think about.