Seabass

Started by coconut joe, June 24, 2020, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coconut joe

The rumor mill is running at full capacity this morning.  I've been hearing rumblings of Seabass finding a new home at UW.  Can anyone confirm?

npope

I know he is in the portal (he has graduated but evidently has one more year of eligibility left), but have not heard anything about the UW being in the mix. Most of what I hear is chatter about heading back East, e.g., Rutgers, and wrestling at 141 this coming year. Some posters suggest that he is getting ready for a run at the Olympics and/or MMA. Not sure as the the veracity of any of it, but Johnny Sebastian could put a good word in for the UW.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

For Olympic training, Seth Gross and Sebastian Rivera would obviously be great workout partners...
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

leg turk

Is there a certain timeframe that they have to wait to announce new school, after they say they are entering the portal?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: leg turk on June 24, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
Is there a certain timeframe that they have to wait to announce new school, after they say they are entering the portal?

Here is an article about Sebastian Rivera at Flo Wrestling (apparently Northwestern has 48 hours to enter his name into the transfer portal. Not sure if there is a specific timeframe beyond entering the portal)

After much speculation that Sebastian Rivera will transfer, he has confirmed to FloWrestling that he has talked with his coaches and has begun the process to enter the transfer portal. Rivera graduated from Northwestern this year which will make transferring simpler than it would have been otherwise.

Rivera's name might not appear in the transfer portal immediately as schools have 48 hours to submit student-athletes' names after an athlete make their transfer portal request.

Rivera placed sixth at NCAAs as a freshman and improved on that performance by finishing third as a sophomore. Both of those finishes were at 125. In his third varsity season at Northwestern, Rivera earned the top seed at 133 for the 2020 NCAA Championships that were canceled due to COVID-19.

He has wins over NCAA champions Spencer Lee and Seth Gross and will be an asset to any program that can land him. Rivera's warm welcome in his home state of New Jersey during the Big Ten Championships led to speculation that he would consider Rutgers as his transfer destination. This has not been confirmed by Rivera.
Kirk Nelson

Ghetto

Consensus seems to be that he's going home to New Jersey and will be at Rutgers
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

leg turk

Let's see if Bono can pull another rabbit out of his hat.

walden_hiker

Looks like the most likely destination is Rutgers.

Keaton Kluever

Ghetto

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 24, 2020, 05:51:12 PM
I think the more interesting guy is Gavin Teasdale. Elite recruit out of high school, who has changed his mind a bunch:

Iowa, Penn State, Iowa. Now portal.

He'd fill (or at least compete at) 141, the most up-in-the-air weight for the Badgers.

The problem is the shine has really come off.  He took multiple losses to non-D1 guys last year. Still, if you're going to have a come-out-of-nowhere type guy, it's usually one with a high pedigree guys.

What do you guys think?

No. Got teched by a D3 kid. Shine isn't coming back.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Rivera has officially transferred to Rutgers..
Kirk Nelson

Ghetto

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 25, 2020, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on June 24, 2020, 10:45:10 PM
No. Got teched by a D3 kid. Shine isn't coming back.

The likelihood is that you're right.

On the other hand, Breske took losses to non-D1 guys in the 2016-17 and 2018-19 seasons, and he ultimately fell one win shy of the NCAA tourney in 2019. You never know when someone was wrestling hurt or there were other factors.

I think the more damning part is him moving so much. Huge red flag to me.

I only brought him up because the 141 is probably our weakest weight going into 20-21. Unlike 197 the last couple years though, we do have plenty of guys to throw at it.

That actually gives me an idea...

I wonder, with Teasdale, if it isn't a lost confidence thing, which he thought he would get back when he transferred. It's always hard to tell, but maybe Teasdale was just physically way ahead of his peers and then the world caught up with him.

Either way, it's a no for me, bro.

npope

Quote from: Ghetto on June 27, 2020, 04:30:42 PM

I wonder, with Teasdale, if it isn't a lost confidence thing, which he thought he would get back when he transferred. It's always hard to tell, but maybe Teasdale was just physically way ahead of his peers and then the world caught up with him.

I agree that it might be a confidence thing. That said, as far as building one's confidence, Iowa ain't the place to go...only 10 guys get to be on top of that dog pile in any given year. Same with PSU. There are plenty of other confidence-building-locations that he could have chosen on at least a couple of occasions...and he chose quite possibly the two worst destinations for building confidence. He was still thinking with that "I am the top dog" mentality; he wouldn't be the first to find out otherwise. I dare say any number of us posters had a similar experience the first time we set foot in a college wrestling room - that's a heck of a big step up...and I'm not just talking about PSU and Iowa. Here's hoping he makes the "right" choices for himself going forward, whether it be in wrestling or not.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 27, 2020, 06:46:02 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on June 27, 2020, 04:30:42 PM

Randy Jackson weighing in on a potential transfer!!! What is this, Transfer Portal Idol!

I shoulda said dog. It's a no for me, dog.

But thanks for getting the reference. Even when I messed it up.

littleguy301

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 24, 2020, 05:51:12 PM
I think the more interesting guy is Gavin Teasdale. Elite recruit out of high school, who has changed his mind a bunch:

Iowa, Penn State, Iowa. Now portal.

He'd fill (or at least compete at) 141, the most up-in-the-air weight for the Badgers.

The problem is the shine has really come off.  He took multiple losses to non-D1 guys last year. Still, if you're going to have a come-out-of-nowhere type guy, it's usually one with a high pedigree guys.

What do you guys think?

;D ;D I doubt the shine comes back unless there is some professional help with shinning ;D

I thought it was a bad secret that Rivera was heading back home to Rutgers. Get his degree from northwestern and head ba k home. I dont know but I thought I had been hearing that for some time.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet