Columbia University-University has stopped them from competing

Started by crossface21, November 11, 2016, 02:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

Zach Tanelli is the Head Coach at Columbia. Unfortunately, it looks like he's gonna have to deal with things that has the potential to quickly sidetrack his career in his first season as a HC.  

http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-racist-sexist-text-messages-that-put-colu-1788867450

MNbadger

Harvard's Men's soccer Team had their season cancelled for this kind of thing.
Somehow we have to teach our young men not to behave/think like this.  Mostly it appears to be arrested development.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Handles II

Because they weren't voted onto the wrestling team by people who seemingly condone that type of language and/or behavior. Puzzling to be sure.

crossface21

This article made it sound like they were stopping the season until the issue is resolved. Flowrestling says the season has been suspended, which makes it sound like they are done for the year.

CLC FAN

Suspend means to hold in place.  Sounds like it could be temporary or a loss of the entire season, depending on how the investigation goes.

Disappointing behavior by the young men involved.

bkraus

I'll be honest, I am having a hard time with this.  It's not like the guys were doing this on a public forum, social media page or anything like that.  It was teammates sending texts to each other.  It may not be tasteful or anything like that, but they were doing it privately.  How many of you have gone out with your buddies and talked about that hot girl at the other table or the reverse of that?  I just don't see the difference.  I guarantee you that you could find someone who has gone out with their school president, AD, and other administrators that have done just that to admit that they have.   
Strive for Perfection

Handles II

I believe we have all had this type of discussion with our wrestlers or heard this from our coaches. That actions on and off the mat represent our school, our sport, our team, our parents, our coaches. That when a wrestler goes out and does or says something inappropriate, that it gets lumped onto the whole of the team and school.

The argument is that they are representing the University both on and off the mat (and perhaps on scholarship money). The things they do and say matter. Going to college is a privilege, going to Columbia is very privileged. They don't need to keep anyone that is making them look bad.