Q&A with WWF Women's Director Pat Kilty

Started by Molly Engedal, February 03, 2017, 07:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly Engedal

What opportunities are available for my daughter when she reaches Schoolgirl age?

As of 2016, the WWF formally incorporated schoolgirls training alongside the Cadet and Junior National Teams. By providing this opportunity, Wisconsin schoolgirls are exposed to quality training, quality coaches, and great practice partners. These three elements will better prepare them for when they become part of Team Wisconsin.

Why have the WWF fees increased? Is there a financial gain to the WWF?

This year's cost to be a part of Team WI (Cadet and Juniors) is $550. No other state in the country can match what we offer for that cost.

• Registration for 3 National tournaments (double registration if Cadet desires to wrestle in both divisions in OKC and Fargo)
  • Hotel cost for those 3 National tournaments which is 10 nights
  • Transportation to and from Fargo
  • Hotel costs for three overnight camps: River Falls, Middleton and River Falls which all adds up to 7 nights
  • High caliber coaches
  • Five training camps:  Wrightstown March 19th, River Falls April 7-9, Wisconsin Dells May 7, Middleton May 12-14, Pre-Fargo July 13 -15

The athlete fees do not cover these costs fully. The WWF financially supports both the men's and the women's programs.

When do you foresee Wisconsin implementing High School sanctioned Women's Wrestling in Wisconsin?

If I was asked this question 2 months ago, I would of told you one year. After much debate and education on the complexity of the process, there are more dynamics then one would think. Our numbers have increased every year that is on record in regards to the amount of girls skin folding for their high school programs. Looking back at the 2014-15 season, Wisconsin had 151 girls skin fold and this year we had 200. The same holds true for our WWF Folkstyle Youth State numbers. In 2010 which was the first year of the WWF's implementation of the girls division, we had 123 girls compete. Last year, we had 218. We are growing as you can see but we need to grow even more before we can pursue sanctioning.

If growth is what is needed to sanction women's wrestling in Wisconsin as a high school sport what do we need to do differently?

At the high school level, coaches with female wrestlers need to do a better job of educating their female athletes and parents of the opportunities available to them. Be a coach and an educator. Whether its competing in 2 non-WIAA female wrestling tournaments which is allowed during the season or educating them on what the WWF has to offer with Team WI. Of the 200 girls that skin folded, the 60 plus that are on varsity, and the 30 plus teams with 2 or more females on them, I can honestly say that over half of the 200 have no idea of what's out there for opportunities.

At the youth level, the WWF is providing great opportunities with folkstyle and freestyle state. Youth tournaments are incorporating more and more all girl opportunities. But we can do better. Starting next year, we will be working with youth clubs directly around the state to incorporate all girls divisions into their youth tournaments. The goal is to target one, maybe two youth tournaments per month and promote girls to wrestle at these venues. We will be very aggressive on getting the information to youth clubs and beyond. Last weekend, Wrightstown implemented this and had 50 girls attend. They also had Team WI ladies reffing. This will also be part of what we offer at the selected youth tournaments.

Does my daughter have to be a part of Team WI to go to the 3 National tournaments?

No. Folkstyle Nationals in Oklahoma City and Girls Nationals/World Team Qualifier in Texas are open tournaments which means you could go to those 2 tournaments on your own. Fargo on the other hand requires you to be a part of your state's association which in Wisconsin is the WWF. 

What will my daughter get with being involved with the WWF's Women's National Team/Team WI that she can't get with another club?

Some of the best coaching in the country, excellent practice partners, and training opportunities that are second to none. If your daughter has aspirations to make World Teams, win National Titles, become an All American, or go to college to wrestle, why would you not? We have the tools and resources to help your daughter reach her goals.