WIAA board approves changes to Winter regulations

Started by TomM, June 21, 2023, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Hansen

Quote from: MNbadger on June 28, 2023, 10:37:21 PMIt seems to be redundant to keep the descent plan but doing the 50% weigh in after January.
Quote from: littleguy301 on June 28, 2023, 07:41:55 PM
Quote from: Chris Hansen on June 28, 2023, 06:13:28 PMYes we kept the exact same descent plan as before and yes, 145 has always been a weight class, dating back to 1940.

What was the reason on keeping it?

MNBadger - I'm not sure what you mean.  We don't have a "50% weigh in after January."

Chris Hansen

Quote from: Chris Hansen on June 28, 2023, 06:13:28 PMYes we kept the exact same descent plan as before and yes, 145 has always been a weight class, dating back to 1940.

Let me start by saying I am not a part of the WIAA, nor am I on the WIAA's Sports Medical Advisory Committee, nor have I ever been on the WIAA's 7% committee.  While I did serve my 3-year appointment to the WIAA's Coaches Advisory Committee, that was back from 2019-2021.  I point all that out to clarify this is just one coach giving out a bunch of info to other curious coaches.  Ideally, this will not be biased in any way and you will not know where I stand after reading.

First realize that by NFHS rules, the WIAA must have a weight control program in place.  That is rule 1-5-1,2,3 and I'd be happy to share those if someone doesn't have a rule book handy.

August of 2016:  the 7% Committee and Medical Advisory Committee's recommendation to move in compliance with the NFHS weight allowance received support by the Board of Control. The current one-half pound per day weight loss allowance will be replaced by the NFHS 1.5 percent weight-loss-per-week guidelines. The implementation of the change will occur in 2017-18.   

Why did they do that?  In my opinion, because the one-half pound per day rule served us really well for many years but it had a glaring weakness in that a 300 pound athlete needed the same length of time to drop 15 pounds to get to 285 as the 121 pound athlete needed to get to 106.  The 300 pound athlete was losing only 5% body weight while the 121 pound athlete was losing 12.4% body weight.

Littleguy301, you asked "What was the reason on keeping it (the descent plan)?" and you stated "Get rid of the decent plan for sure!"   I just want you to realize that at the end of the day, you are asking that question to the WIAA's Sports Medical Advisory Committee which in my opinion, may be the most powerful committee in the entire WIAA.

Jason Abels, LAT (WATA Liaison), Waukesha
Conrad Andringa, MD, Madison - Emeritus
Abbey Bubolz, RD, CD (ADA Liaison), Manitowoc
Amy Ford, DO, Oconomowoc
Tim McGuine, PhD, ATC, Madison
Patrick McKenzie, MD, Green Bay
Matthew Myrvik, PhD, CMPC, Milwaukee
Claudia Reardon, MD, Madison
Brian Reeder, MD, Madison
Laurel Rudolph-Kniech, MD, Marshfield
Kevin Walter, MD, Milwaukee - Chairman
Ryan Wozniak, PhD, MPH (DHS Liaison), Madison

Will the descent plan ever go away?  I suppose it will at least change because all things change over time.  I can assure you that new weight classes and the fact that MN has 13 will not weigh very heavily on the mind's of the PhD's.  So certainly not anytime soon.  Aside from the lone WWCA Rep bringing it up each spring at the annual WIAA 7% Committee meeting, it really is not on anyone's radar screen so I would suggest change is many years away.  The WIAA's 7% Committee has one wrestling coach and one Rep from the WWCA.  The other 9 members are people like Samantha Nauer (UW-Sports Medicine), Jesse Jorgensen (Bellin Health), Dr. Andrew Jagim (Mayo Clinic Health System). 

So to summarize, the NFHS forces the WIAA to have a plan in place and the WIAA uses the 7% Committee and the Sports Medical Advisory Committee to create, oversee, and review that plan. 

If you made it to the end, I hope this clarified a little as to the "why" and "how."

MNbadger

I thought WI had gone to requiring half their weigh ins after January at your desired state series weight.  I guess I was incorrect.
Quote from: Chris Hansen on June 29, 2023, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on June 28, 2023, 10:37:21 PMIt seems to be redundant to keep the descent plan but doing the 50% weigh in after January.

MNBadger - I'm not sure what you mean.  We don't have a "50% weigh in after January."

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on June 29, 2023, 06:20:06 PMI thought WI had gone to requiring half their weigh ins after January at your desired state series weight.  I guess I was incorrect.

I think after January 1st you have to make scratch weight in order to get your 2 pounds, is that correct chris hanson?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Chris Hansen

Quote from: littleguy301 on June 29, 2023, 08:58:26 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on June 29, 2023, 06:20:06 PMI thought WI had gone to requiring half their weigh ins after January at your desired state series weight.  I guess I was incorrect.

I think after January 1st you have to make scratch weight in order to get your 2 pounds, is that correct chris hanson?

Close.   The date is Christmas.   If you skinfold after Christmas or if you have a successful appeal after Christmas, you must make scratch weight one time.