Final X

Started by Ghetto, June 15, 2023, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

So no mention of two Wisconsin natives making world teams?

Congratulations to Macey Kilty and Brady Koontz for making it to the biggest stage. Despite it all we are extremely proud of you.

If either is selling shirts or having a fundraiser, please put something out.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on June 15, 2023, 10:17:13 PMSo no mention of two Wisconsin natives making world teams?

Congratulations to Macey Kilty and Brady Koontz for making it to the biggest stage. Despite it all we are extremely proud of you.

If either is selling shirts or having a fundraiser, please put something out.

Congrates!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

blacknblue

Impressive amount of work needed to compete at this level. Hoping for great matches for the Wisconsin kids!
You can drill and waste your time or you can drill and get better. Either way we're going to drill! - D.G.

GO BLUE!!

Ghetto

Bono sneezes wrong and it gets 12 pages. These two make a world team and three posts.

Unreal.

littleguy301

Is keagan o Toole on the U23 team? Just a tick confused at how it was run this year.

Ghetto

I didn't see hi mentioned. Is he hurt?

Coach V

O'Toole is on the U23 Team and Sinclair is on the U17 Team
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

bman

O'Toole bumps the winner of the UWW U23 World Team Trials off the team by virtue of making the US National Team with his 3rd place overall. If you are eligible for U23 age group and you make the National Team you automatically get the spot. Keegan was not on the U23 team until he was officially National Team after his forfeit victory for true 3rd.

Thanks for the original post Ghetto.

Ghetto

Quote from: bman on June 19, 2023, 12:28:40 PMO'Toole bumps the winner of the UWW U23 World Team Trials off the team by virtue of making the US National Team with his 3rd place overall. If you are eligible for U23 age group and you make the National Team you automatically get the spot. Keegan was not on the U23 team until he was officially National Team after his forfeit victory for true 3rd.

Thanks for the clarification. Excited to see gim dominate at U23s

littleguy301

Quote from: bman on June 19, 2023, 12:28:40 PMO'Toole bumps the winner of the UWW U23 World Team Trials off the team by virtue of making the US National Team with his 3rd place overall. If you are eligible for U23 age group and you make the National Team you automatically get the spot. Keegan was not on the U23 team until he was officially National Team after his forfeit victory for true 3rd.

Awesome!

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure and hadn't seen it!

Go wisconsin at the world's! Nice showing I believe!

Troy Grindle

Quote from: Ghetto on June 17, 2023, 10:34:51 PMBono sneezes wrong and it gets 12 pages. These two make a world team and three posts.

Unreal.

It's because most wrestling fans think freestyle and especially Greco are boring and almost unwatchable.  I know that will ruffle a lot of feathers on here.  But it is true.  Take a casual or non fan and have them watch a Olympic style.  They won't get it and the action is sooooooo slow.  Except for very small short bursts. 

Folkstyle wrestling has so much more action.  Even the riding is more entertaining in collegiate wrestling than watching a guy get a push out or a leg lace tech in 30 seconds.  The die hard Olympic style guys will chime in and say we just don't get it and all of the completely lopsided scores are actually much closer than the score indicates.  Or the final x series between JB and Marsteller was so exciting.  But those matches are so rare.

Just look at attendance at all levels of freestyle from high school state to the national team  trials versus folkstyle state to the NCAA tournament.  Quite the difference in fan attendance.  All styles of wrestling have their place, but unless the Olympic styles can figure out how to be more relatable to the average sports watcher like folkstyle has then the Olympic styles will only be as popular as equestrian is.
And then there was that.

bman

I'm certainly one of those with a different opinion. Our schools wrestle folkstyle, our colleges and  universities wrestle folkstyle, and individually, people have a bond or ties to their local school or university. People that don't pay attention to or find Freestyle and/or Greco as entertaining also lack a familiarity with it and most notable do not know or understand the scoring and rules. It is hard to watch, follow or become a fan if one does not know what is going on.

bigoil

having been around the sport for nearly 50 years, the rules are complicated.

I watched a portion of the duals this past weekend and it wasn't unusual for the 3 refs to agree on a call, say 4 Red and have a challenge go 4 blue. As a youth, I favored freestyle because it seemed to reward the attacker or a great counter. Those lines are now so blurred, the 3 people closest to the action get it "wrong".

2021 worlds Yazdani/Taylor Each had a takedown butTaylor lost because he was pushed out of bounds 2 times, with zero intent of a wrestling move, simply and under and drive.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of issues with folkstyle rules as well....

hornbuckleb

Quote from: bman on June 20, 2023, 08:26:19 AMI'm certainly one of those with a different opinion. Our schools wrestle folkstyle, our colleges and  universities wrestle folkstyle, and individually, people have a bond or ties to their local school or university. People that don't pay attention to or find Freestyle and/or Greco as entertaining also lack a familiarity with it and most notable do not know or understand the scoring and rules. It is hard to watch, follow or become a fan if one does not know what is going on.

100%

I would also mention that Final X was a failure in my mind.  Flo has to go.... as they are not evolving the sport only lining their pockets. No Mat Cast made Women's and Greco an after thought.  The streams and their commercials are a joke.  Why not rotate just 2 matches simultaneously at one time with John Smith and/or Shane at the helm.

USA wrestling also needs someone that can market the product.  Not sure whose idea it was to call it "Final X", why not just World Team Championships.  And why in the world would you have multiple USA wrestling events going on at the same time (Final X and Age Group Duals.) World Team Trials coupled with USA open was a little bit of a head scratcher.  USA needs to partner with a quality provider in the future.  Video review seems like a back alley deal at times.  Why not make a public announcement (like football)after the ruling to educate the fans.  Would have cleared up a lot of backlash. Remaining hopeful, but nothing seems to change.

Wrestling is and always will be their own worst enemy and that holds true for the NWCA and NCAA.  Is it really that hard to understand that having your national championship the same time as March Madness is insane.  Viewership was significantly down this past year.

Dunn County

Quote from: hornbuckleb on June 20, 2023, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: bman on June 20, 2023, 08:26:19 AMI'm certainly one of those with a different opinion. Our schools wrestle folkstyle, our colleges and  universities wrestle folkstyle, and individually, people have a bond or ties to their local school or university. People that don't pay attention to or find Freestyle and/or Greco as entertaining also lack a familiarity with it and most notable do not know or understand the scoring and rules. It is hard to watch, follow or become a fan if one does not know what is going on.

100%

I would also mention that Final X was a failure in my mind.  Flo has to go.... as they are not evolving the sport only lining their pockets. No Mat Cast made Women's and Greco an after thought.  The streams and their commercials are a joke.  Why not rotate just 2 matches simultaneously at one time with John Smith and/or Shane at the helm.

USA wrestling also needs someone that can market the product.  Not sure whose idea it was to call it "Final X", why not just World Team Championships.  And why in the world would you have multiple USA wrestling events going on at the same time (Final X and Age Group Duals.) World Team Trials coupled with USA open was a little bit of a head scratcher.  USA needs to partner with a quality provider in the future.  Video review seems like a back alley deal at times.  Why not make a public announcement (like football)after the ruling to educate the fans.  Would have cleared up a lot of backlash. Remaining hopeful, but nothing seems to change.

Wrestling is and always will be their own worst enemy and that holds true for the NWCA and NCAA.  Is it really that hard to understand that having your national championship the same time as March Madness is insane.  Viewership was significantly down this past year.

Can you clarify what you mean by "no mat cast made Women's and Greco an afterthought?"