Started by TomM, December 24, 2013, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

neutral

Arkush can sometimes be insightful - but he tends to take himself too seriously.

If he means what he's saying in the excerpt below ... he believes you should make franchise QB decisions on the basis of 1 or 2 week(s) performance(s)  and that's just stupid.

Cutler hasn't earned a long-term contract ... they can franchise him for next year - even if they draft a QB ... he should hold a clipboard for a year (they all should ... IMO) - why wouldn't they franchise him? ... maybe they could even get the comensurate draft pick for him.

... While there was nothing Cutler could have done by himself that would have changed the outcome of the game, his lack of leadership and character got so out of hand in the third period that I'm rethinking for the first time my continued belief the Bears must bring him back in 2014.

Why is he suddenly going to fulfill his potential after failing to in his first eight seasons? The belief is because of Trestman.

After watching him constantly whining to official Mike Carey for non-calls on hits which clearly should have been non–calls, I'm thinking maybe it is time to cut bait. He seemingly lost focus and interest on the two possessions following the Eagles touchdown after the Forte safety and most importantly failed to lead ...

He's absolutely the best option this Sunday against Green Bay and maybe he'll bounce back and change my mind again.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

DrSnide

I do think the Bears have a decision to make with Cutler.  He is what he is at this point of his career and not is not likely to improve.  Now that still leaves you with an above average QB but I'm not sure one that can "carry" a team far in the playoffs.  Especially with a rapidly aging/regressing defense that needs to be fixed quickly.  The question becomes how much do you want to invest in Cutler rather than the defense - particularly when you have a cheaper alternative in the backup  (who seems to fucntion pretty well in this offense) while you groom a QB you draft in what looks to be a really good draft for QBs.  

On the other hand if you franchise him you pay a lot but  only for one year.  You could still draft a QB and build the defense through the draft while holding serve for one year which is probably what I would do if I didn't think it would blow up the locker room.  Not sure I would sign Cutler long term though.  
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bigG

think they will franchise him for the reasons you state. Chicago has always shown the faith in D.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.