Re: heroin

Started by maggie, October 21, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I don't think there was an argument about which was better; just the funding issue.

I think those private schools with a church attachment would have a better argument if the church were to pay taxes, just like when businesses pair with schools. They pay taxes and have lobbying power. Churches obviously already have lobbying power but get by tax free. If that church has a school on the public dime, or receives public services, they should fess up some tax bucks.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

G I'm telling you I know plenty of churches that pay taxes.   I work with many who pay property taxes.   I can prove that.  They pay employment taxes.   In Wisconsin they are only allowed to own a certain size parcel of land without paying taxes.  After that they must pay taxes.   I can show you the tax bills.  They have to pay sales taxes as well.  I've paid those bills.   What they don't pay is corporate taxes.   
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 27, 2013, 08:29:42 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 07:44:05 AM
Quote from: maggie on October 27, 2013, 07:27:49 AM
here hound, here's your favorite people telling ya....you believe them right?....... :D     https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpfVWHklvTeU&ei=RQZtUsfCBuHi2QXWroGoAg&usg=AFQjCNFGLeIAUtkS70otsVYSodiGHmUm6Q   notice how they have a black public school teacher out front yelling we need cash?....UNION BASHING ATTEMPT...wow, that's what I call propaganda at it's best...who agrees?   did ya catch his first statement?..."THERE KIDS"  ::) as if there all a bunch of union kids...

I am not arguing whether public or private is better. Never have. I just want Badger to show me where anyone on here said private was better. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Still waiting.

Hound, I though in another thread about private schooling you stated that you went to a private school until 8th grade. You also stated you felt you had a very good education and maybe a better education than the public school for those grades and at those times.

I believe you stated you and your 3 brothers all went to the same school.

Am I correct with this statement?
Was it a reglous based school?

I remember a post from you on this order. I also remember you talked about you and your brothers and the great education you received but I will say I do NOT remember you saying that private was better for others just you.

Friendly post hear HH, just trying to jog the old memory train with this forum.

You are right on LG. It is a Lutheran grade school. I think my education was great. My education in a public high school was also outstanding. When I was in 8th grade, we were allowed to participate in sports at the public school. What the agreement is between the schools, I have no idea. We also rode on the public school buses, so there was some crossover between public and private. I have NEVER said private education is better than public.

I also believe you have never stated private better than public. Though I think you believe you got an awesome go at your education from k-8 but maybe you thought you might have gotten the top of the line I have never heard you say that private was better than public in an overall post.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on October 27, 2013, 10:18:31 AM
I don't think there was an argument about which was better; just the funding issue.

I think those private schools with a church attachment would have a better argument if the church were to pay taxes, just like when businesses pair with schools. They pay taxes and have lobbying power. Churches obviously already have lobbying power but get by tax free. If that church has a school on the public dime, or receives public services, they should fess up some tax bucks.

I would agree if the property taxes of the parents whose kids are going to the church's school followed them to that school. I think they are contributing to the public school also, so it works both ways.

Houndhead

MNbadger made the claim that some on here argued that private was better. I'm still waiting for him to show me where that was ever said.

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 01:25:08 PM

MNbadger made the claim that some on here argued that private was better. I'm still waiting for him to show me where that was ever said.

Yes I know I am jumping in on this and I am NOT defending MNbadger.

Like I stated before, some could have confused your statement about your top notch education at your private school from k-8 as you were implying that private was better. I believe you stated that you believe your education in that school was as good or better than the public school in your area.

However you never said as far as I am aware of that all cases were like yours. Just you stated that your education was top notch and maybe some think you meet that for everyone.

Sometimes I take a few words out of context and assume also.

I am just trying to clear up any confusion and I believe I am trying to back you HH.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

Quote from: littleguy301 on October 27, 2013, 07:04:36 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 01:25:08 PM

Yes I know I am jumping in on this and I am NOT defending MNbadger.

Like I stated before, some could have confused your statement about your top notch education at your private school from k-8 as you were implying that private was better. I believe you stated that you believe your education in that school was as good or better than the public school in your area.

However you never said as far as I am aware of that all cases were like yours. Just you stated that your education was top notch and maybe some think you meet that for everyone.

Sometimes I take a few words out of context and assume also.

I am just trying to clear up any confusion and I believe I am trying to back you HH.

I think most people are proud of their school and think it is the best. I can only think of one teacher I had that was subpar. That was a high school math teacher with an alcoholism problem. He should not have been teaching. I don't think you realize it at the time how much most of the teachers care about kids, I think maybe  even more in a small town. But you do appreciate it as you mature.

bigG

Quote from: MarkK on October 27, 2013, 10:57:42 AM
G I'm telling you I know plenty of churches that pay taxes.   I work with many who pay property taxes.   I can prove that.  They pay employment taxes.   In Wisconsin they are only allowed to own a certain size parcel of land without paying taxes.  After that they must pay taxes.   I can show you the tax bills.  They have to pay sales taxes as well.  I've paid those bills.   What they don't pay is corporate taxes.  

Income and property tax? Why call it a non-profit, then?

All I'm saying is that if we wish to pay a private school, we should seek the tax payments and those behind them.

I know many who do too, while enjoying the public love while paying private "taxes." Why can they avoid property taxes? Mine are less reliant on size than value. Businesses have to pay property taxes. If a church wishes to set up a school, they should pay every bit the property taxes from which they get public funding. The people working for them should pay income tax.

I'm fine with private schools. Just don't know why public money should go to them; whether the constituents pay or not. I'd be great with no property taxes. Until that time, those who suck from the public teet should pay, like I do.

So why dilute a system that is already hurting for money? The only answer I've been given is God. That should have no bearing on it. there is no proof the voucher system does any ,more than public aside from paying for more buildings and all that goes with it. Dilution isn't the way , IMHO.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 01:21:42 PM

I would agree if the property taxes of the parents whose kids are going to the church's school followed them to that school. I think they are contributing to the public school also, so it works both ways.
Those taxes do follow the kid to private school. Transportation, technology, food, books, and now tuition. Everybody in a community pays taxes which go to kids in both public and private schools. Let's not forget that before making statements to the contrary.

ramjet

Well Handles then with your line of thinking what should people who have no children and pay property taxes say about fairness?  :o :o :o :o

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on October 28, 2013, 09:32:38 AM
Well Handles then with your line of thinking what should people who have no children and pay property taxes say about fairness?  :o :o :o :o

They should say, "Thanks for all of you who paid for MY education!  Now, it's MY TURN to contribute."
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Quote from: imnofish on October 28, 2013, 11:16:03 AM
Quote from: ramjet on October 28, 2013, 09:32:38 AM

They should say, "Thanks for all of you who paid for MY education!  Now, it's MY TURN to contribute."
Exactly!

ramjet

Maybe they paid for their own in a private school?

Who should they thank then?

Handles II

There is always someone to thank for what you have. Nobody can do it all on their own.

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on October 28, 2013, 02:53:15 PM
Maybe they paid for their own in a private school?

Who should they thank then?

Everyone else who contributed to the private school, unless they are the only student whom has ever attended there.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!