Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Houndhead on October 28, 2013, 10:22:21 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 28, 2013, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 07:25:42 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 27, 2013, 07:04:36 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 27, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: bigG on October 27, 2013, 10:18:31 AM
I don't think there was an argument about which was better; just the funding issue.

I think those private schools with a church attachment would have a better argument if the church were to pay taxes, just like when businesses pair with schools. They pay taxes and have lobbying power. Churches obviously already have lobbying power but get by tax free. If that church has a school on the public dime, or receives public services, they should fess up some tax bucks.

MNbadger made the claim that some on here argued that private was better. I'm still waiting for him to show me where that was ever said.

Yes I know I am jumping in on this and I am NOT defending MNbadger.

Like I stated before, some could have confused your statement about your top notch education at your private school from k-8 as you were implying that private was better. I believe you stated that you believe your education in that school was as good or better than the public school in your area.

However you never said as far as I am aware of that all cases were like yours. Just you stated that your education was top notch and maybe some think you meet that for everyone.

Sometimes I take a few words out of context and assume also.

I am just trying to clear up any confusion and I believe I am trying to back you HH.

I think most people are proud of their school and think it is the best. I can only think of one teacher I had that was subpar. That was a high school math teacher with an alcoholism problem. He should not have been teaching. I don't think you realize it at the time how much most of the teachers care about kids, I think maybe  even more in a small town. But you do appreciate it as you mature.

Very nice post there HH. I have to agree, as I got older I realized that I had some pretty darn good teachers in my life. To bad I was such a tool as a student to understand what they were trying to do for me.

Me too. ;D

Guilty
"This page intentionally left blank".

Handles II

Quote from: howavi on October 29, 2013, 01:52:50 PM
Quote from: Handles II on October 28, 2013, 05:39:54 PM
Essentially, yes hound, that is how it works and it is federal law put in place for various reasons, but generally to allow for private schools to compete with public schools which they couldn't do without public money. Paying for tuition is a much newer aspect and varies by state.

Maggie,

Is this putting words in handles mouth? I want to know which law takes my property taxes to the private school? I've asked about four times now.

Probably the most famous case regarding this is Emerson v. Board of Education 1947 which related to the transportation issue. Before that Chochran v. Louisiana set the stage for books. It's all covered under the 1st amendment. public schools cannot refuse funding to parochial schools for non-religious aspects of student life. It's a pretty sweet deal for the privates.

Interestingly, here's a quote from 1835, Thaddeus Stevens regarding evil property taxes:

MarkK

Of course you would miss quote those cases handles.

In Emerson Vs. Board of Education.

A New Jersey law allowed reimbursements of money to parents who sent their children to school on buses operated by the public transportation system.

The law did not pay money to parochial schools, nor did it support them directly in anyway. It was simply a law enacted as a "general program" to assist parents of all religions with getting their children to school.

Justice Black argued that services like busing and police and fire protection for parochial schools are "separate and so indisputably marked off from the religious function

So you are against fire protection too?   

If you are going to cite a case at least don't misrepresent it. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Handles II

Keep reading learning MarkK, you are only at the starting point. And per what you hope to argue, correct, can't pay the parents.  so the public picks up the tab for the private.

This thread was about heroin use. I'm done with the education crap unless it's on a different thread.

MarkK

Cochran is significant because the Court rejected the taxpayers
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigoil

Your done with the argument because you said there was a law that took our tax dollars for education and gave them to private. Our students dollars follow them, which is just not true, except for the 500 kids in the voucher program and those before them.

bigG

Until they're booted from the voucher school after third Friday.

I'm for vouchers in certain cases; just want the accountability that's been lacking for the last 20 odd years.

I'll be waiting for the token accountability program.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on October 29, 2013, 06:19:45 AM
The real question is why did Badger lie about someone saying private is better than public, and then run away and hide when asked to back it up.

Before we jump to any unfounded conclusions, MNbadger does take some days off of posting. That has been a cycle of his for some time.

Though on another note, I do agree that some posters like hit and run, I have felt it has happened to me also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Perhaps he's preparing for the season to come. :)

I know I'm hoping to get into the practice room more this year.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.