Rocket scramble

Started by tess5, January 04, 2015, 10:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tess5

CLC were you at Cedar Grove yesterday just wondering your thoughts 113 126 132 wow great wrestling stacked with talent

CLC FAN

I was not there, but I followed closely on track.  The three brackets you mentioned were indeed stacked.  Big props to Brockman for winning at 126 against good competition - and guys he could/will see later this season.

I must also say I am impressed with how full the teams were.  Many of these kids just wrestled a 2-day tournament Monday & Tuesday... still on Christmas break, etc.  shows some serious dedication!

ELG

I was at the Rocket Scramble and there were some great matches:

113- a real meat grinder.  Theobald (Shiocton) is a very talented freshman.  Him and Loomans were in a very tight match before Theobald caught Loomans and got the pin.  Theobald was losing to Kroening (Sheb South) before getting injured and defaulting. He was not able to wrestle against Costello in the last round.

Loomans got beat by Costello (Campbellsport) by a major.  Looked like Loomans was still feeling the effects/shock? from getting pinned by Theobald in the previous match.  I expect the Loomans/Costello rematch at Regionals to be much closer.  Loomans was defeated by Kroening 5-3 in the last round. This was my first time seeing Kroening wrestle in person.  Very strong 113# kid. Costello 1st, Kroening 2nd, Theobald 3rd, Loomans 4th.

126- another tough bracket.  Brockman wrestled very well.  He beat Langer from Marshall, Pawleski from Southern Door, and Snortum (another talented freshman from Shiocoton) in route to a first place finish.

132- very solid bracket but Hansen (Deerfield) undoubtedly stood out from the rest. He was dominating.  Was very impressed with yet another freshman from Shiocton in VanStraten.  VanStraten defeated Kasten (Brillion) and Hutterer (Mishicot) to finish in second.  Hansen 1st, VanStraten 2nd, Kasten 3rd, Hutterer 4th.

Another very good bracket was 152.  Garriety (Lomira), Young (Mishicot), and Riehl (Shiocton). Garriety defeated Young and Riehl to win this bracket. Young defeated Riehl in a very close match. All 3 of these wrestlers were D3 state qualifiers last year with Young finishing in 5th @ 145 and Riehl finishing in 6th at 138. Interestingly, Riehl defeated Garriety in the opening round of the state tournament last year by a major decision.

Shiocton wrestled in Elkhart Lake Friday night.  That is a very solid team. They have upperclassman leaders in seniors Riehl (152), Gunnderson (160) and junior Fielding (182) and some very talented freshman in Sawyer (113), Snortum (126), VanStraten (132), and Gunderson (220). They are in a tough regional with Coleman and Bonduel but expect to see a few of them in Madison come the end of February.

Congratulations to Oostburg in a 2nd place finish at this years Rocket Scramble.  They had a great all around team performance being led by Ebiling 2nd @ 170, Hackl 2nd 220, Meyer 3rd 195, and Loomans 4th at 113.