No wrestle offs this year.

Started by leg turk, September 20, 2016, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkK

I'm more open to saying wrestle offs are not the only determining factor.  Everything is on the table.   Make the team everytime you step out on the mat.  You are always being evaluated, open tournament, practice, wrestle-off, in the classroom, etc.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

billymurphy

Nothing against the Badgers belief of doing things, but I personally would not go to a school that did not
do the wrestle off.  There are sports were it is subjective on who the best guy is, but not wrestling, you win the wrestle offs
and you have proven you are the best guy at the weight and have earned the right to represent your team
at that weight.  The coach may have several wrestle offs during the season, but if you win them, it is end of discussion
on whether the coach wants to play favorites or not. 

vsmf2010

Quote from: billymurphy on October 17, 2016, 11:02:19 PM
Nothing against the Badgers belief of doing things, but I personally would not go to a school that did not
do the wrestle off.  There are sports were it is subjective on who the best guy is, but not wrestling, you win the wrestle offs
and you have proven you are the best guy at the weight and have earned the right to represent your team
at that weight.  The coach may have several wrestle offs during the season, but if you win them, it is end of discussion
on whether the coach wants to play favorites or not. 

This is not a smart a** question I am truly asking because I do not know. Are there any D1 schools where the lineup is determined purely on wrestle offs? My understanding in talking with coaches and wrestlers is that wrestle offs are only part of the decision and ultimately the coaching staff makes the lineup decision based on what they believe is best for team. 

Drop Step

I think you guys are losing sight of what is really going on. I'm sure there is still going to be wrestle-offs in the room.  The coaching staff has decided that they are not having an event at the Field House.
I for one, have not been had a warm fuzzy feeling when leaving the Red-White dual the last couple years. It's hard to put on a real good show case when your in front of a crowd wrestling your teammate.

Ty Clark

Quote from: Drop Step on October 19, 2016, 12:43:36 PM
I think you guys are losing sight of what is really going on. I'm sure there is still going to be wrestle-offs in the room.  The coaching staff has decided that they are not having an event at the Field House.
I for one, have not been had a warm fuzzy feeling when leaving the Red-White dual the last couple years. It's hard to put on a real good show case when your in front of a crowd wrestling your teammate.

First Post:

QuoteNo Red-White wrestle-offs

The Coaching staff has decided that there will not be an inter-squad scrimmage this year. We will be using the performance at the early season tournaments to determine who will be representing the Badger Team during the dual meet season. It is far more important to see who performs the best against other teams than who wrestles best against a teammate. That doesn't mean that a wrestle-off later in the year couldn't happen. Our job is to determine the best line-up possible to represent the University of Wisconsin and this is what we believe is the best way to do it.

Follow-Up:

QuoteBelow is a preview of the roster this year and their projected weights. These are in alphabetical order, by weight, rather than based on starter. We will not have an inter-squad dual this season to establish our starting line-up. Instead the wrestlers will compete at the Steven's Point open in hopes that they wrestle in competition to decide the starter for the beginning of the year.

2016-2017 Roster

125: Mikey Cullen, Johnny Jimenez, Jenz Lantz

133: JJ McClelland, Eli Stickley

141: Cole Martin, Luke Rowh, Pat Spray

149: Andrew Crone, Gabe Grahek, Rylan Lubeck

157: Jarod Donar, Rylan Lubeck, Izaec Quintanilla, TJ Ruschell, Jared Scharenbrock, Eric Schmid, Zander Wick

165: Jacob Covaciu, Isaac Jordan, Seth Liegal, Evan Wick

174: Santonio Cathery, Ryan Christensen, Jacob Stilling

184: Hunter Ritter

197: Eric Peissig, Mason Reinhardt, Ricky Robertson

Hwt: Connor Medbery, Ben Stone, Brady Wetter
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

billymurphy

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan wrestling team will informally kick off its 2016-17 season on Sunday (Oct. 30) with the annual Maize and Blue Intrasquad at 1 p.m. at Cliff Keen Arena. Admission is free.

The Maize and Blue Intrasquad typically serves as the final round of wrestle-offs to determine the Wolverines' starting lineup. Preliminary matches and the first match of each weight's best-of-three final were held Thursday (Oct. 27) at the Bahna Wrestling Center.