Zander Wick

Started by Gopher, January 23, 2018, 04:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Out for season Torn Labrum in Hip.  Per Twitter.

wrastle63

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 23, 2018, 04:40:18 PM
Bummer. From his mom:

"Although he tried to continue... His season unfortunately has come to an end. Torn Labrum in hip."

If I'm digging for a silver lining, that spot, Martin wrestling up, is probably one of the easiest holes to fill in the lineup. Could argue Jake at 174 or Mason at 197 as well, but getting Cole back in there is nice to see.

Let's hope for a full recovery.
Agreed big time bummer. Now all the people who whine and complain can rest easy. Agreed JW on what a great feeling to have Cole Martin as a backup to fill in. Look for Cole to hopefully step up and get a couple big wins down the stretch. Would be nice for him to at least make NCAAs

Ivan Stankowski

Wish him best of lucky.

Is he eligible for a medical redshirt?

bkraus

If he has competed in more than 30% of the events, then no.
Strive for Perfection

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: bkraus on January 24, 2018, 09:10:47 AM
If he has competed in more than 30% of the events, then no.

Zander has not competed since the Cliff Keen tournament, so if each dual or tournament counts as an event he would be under 30%.

That being said, the main priority is he gets healthy. I wish him the best of luck and good health in 2018!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ivan Stankowski

I totally agree, I know nothing about the Medical redshirt policy so was just inquiring

imwi

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 24, 2018, 11:04:29 AM
I totally agree, I know nothing about the Medical redshirt policy so was just inquiring

Me either.  For some reason I thought for wrestling it didn't exist but I don't know why I thought that.  I've seen it used in football but don't recall it ever being used in wrestling but my exposure might be limited in the big picture

wrastle63

Yea I don't know how that process works, but I would imagine he would have a pretty good case to get a medical redshirt.

bkraus

There are three basic criteria for a medical redshirt.

1- the injury can not occur in the second half of the competitive season.
2- the athlete can not compete in over 30% of the season or 3 contests, which ever is more (in wrestling it is 30%)
3- the injury must be season ending

this only applies to division 1.  the other two divisions base eligibility as 10 semesters of enrollment.  D2 and 3 can apply for a medical waiver to add another semester or two based on this.
Strive for Perfection

wrastle63

Quote from: bkraus on January 25, 2018, 08:34:51 AM

2- the athlete can not compete in over 30% of the season or 3 contests, which ever is more (in wrestling it is 30%)

this only applies to division 1.  the other two divisions base eligibility as 10 semesters of enrollment.  D2 and 3 can apply for a medical waiver to add another semester or two based on this.
Well based on that he meets criteria 1 and 3 but not 2.

bkraus

It'll be right there.  they have 18 contests on their schedule.  30% is 5.4.  Cliff Keen was the 5th contest.  He might get it if they apply.
Strive for Perfection

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 25, 2018, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: bkraus on January 25, 2018, 08:34:51 AM

Well based on that he meets criteria 1 and 3 but not 2.

18 events, 30% would be 5.4 events, he competed in 5 from what I can see.