Started by TomM, January 28, 2020, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

how about making the half nelson outlawed. heck that is putting pressure on the back of the neck and it also in the history of wrestling has gotten alot of pins ;D

o boy, I bet this mom is just a treat to deal with at times.

I agree both clips the blows to the back of the head were aggressive and looks that one of the blows there was a penality awarded so it looks like she is a tick late to the fight because like Luke said, it is already illegal!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Fabulous Falcons

Wrestling is one of the most physical sports offered period. . .it's not for the faint of heart.

I can recall getting a couple shots to the back of the head with a forearm. . .I thought of it as an acknowledgement that my opponent wasn't very happy with me.

Now I understand this is why I never became a doctor. . .never to old to learn new things.
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

ramjet

Sensationalized reporting on topic the reporter is clueless on..... geeeesh  ::)

leg turk

Is the "Bow and Arrow" Illegal in High School? I know they do it in College, but unsure of high school.

Oldtimer

Beware of the northern sleeper

leg turk

TomM

Submitting for your consideration

From 2019-2020 NFHS Rules Book - Wrestling
Rule 5 Definitions; Section 12 Flagrant Misconduct (pages 23-24)
Article 2 "Contestants";
b. Acts include, but are not limited to:
1. striking;
2. butting;
3. elbowing;
4. kicking an opponent

Rule 8 Penalties and Injuries (pages 41-42-43)
Article 7
"Flagrant misconduct results in disqualification of the individual..."

Comparing example: (interpretation of Rule 5, Art. 2, b.)
(striking or elbowing)
as in a 'punch to the face/head'  of an opponent

Comparing example: (interpretation of strike to back of head/neck)
(striking or elbowing)
as in a 'strike to the the back of the head, the back of the neck with a forearm, fist or elbow'

NFHS Rule Books may be obtained here:
https://www.nfhs.org/resources/publications/

bronco

Thinking these two are related?? for a good laugh, Old but good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI make sure to read the comments...they are a good laugh also.

TomM

Is it OK for one wrestler to intentionally elbow the opponent in the face?
Is it OK for one wrestler to intentionally punch the opponent in the back of the head?

I would argue neither is necessary and both could be considered flagrant misconduct.

I'm wondering why someone would think it necessary to hammer an opponent in the back of the head/neck from the top position.

(I'm not sure how the comedic 'deer crossing' video relates. You obviously don't agree with me and feel I must be really stupid. Thanks for bringing it down to my low mental level.)

bigoil

Quote from: TomM on January 30, 2020, 08:27:49 AM
Is it OK for one wrestler to intentionally punch the opponent in the back of the head?

I would argue neither is necessary and both could be considered flagrant misconduct.

I'm wondering why someone would think it necessary to hammer an opponent in the back of the head/neck from the top position.

(I'm not sure how the comedic 'deer crossing' video relates. You obviously don't agree with me and feel I must be really stupid. Thanks for bringing it down to my low mental level.)
School crossing would be safer for deer to cross, hilarious!

TomM

Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2020, 08:46:37 AM

Agreed. I laughed hard the first time I heard this. Was it a spoof or real call?

bigoil

Quote from: TomM on January 30, 2020, 08:49:15 AM
Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2020, 08:46:37 AM

Agreed. I laughed hard the first time I heard this. Was it a spoof or real call?

I heard a slight giggle in there so maybe a spoof but I'm quite sure that it could also be very real....

npope

To tell you the truth, I am not sure exactly who is saying what in this conversation. That said, wrestling is not MMA; it is not boxing. There is no place in our sport for the intentional striking of an opponent for the sole purpose of punishing or intimidating them. I know it can be rough and tumble at times, but if one guy is smacking the other guy just for the sake of smacking him then I am all in favor of the ref lowering the boom on the kid - hard and swift.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope