Meet schedule heads up

Started by uwgrappler, November 10, 2020, 02:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uwgrappler

HI Coaches,
I just got off a call with my AD and Wade Labecki.  Our question was in regards to the 6-7 day rule in between meets.  We asked if we wrestle on Friday, Dec. 4th, can we come back and wrestle on Thursday, Dec. 10th?  His answer was no, there must be 6 full calendar days in between meets.  We also asked about wrestling on Thursday, Dec. 17th and then on Wednesday, Dec. 23rd.  He said no, you would be in violation of the rule.  I did a quick check of some schedules online and it looks like a lot of us were not interpreting the rule that way.  If this applies to your schedule, you might want to have your AD call Wade. 

littleguy301

Hear is the deal, Wade needs to make up his mind and quit changing the rules during the game. The letter I got stated 6-7 days inbetween duals was recommended.

Way to make it more confusing. I also wonder if this would stand up in a court of law if it came to this. Remember a few years ago that a wrestler challenaged a ruling and won that challenage. I wonder if Wades wishy-washy would stand up to a legal challenage.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

gundyboo

I'm guessing you have a misunderstanding there.  That would be a new use of common language.  When we want a "week between" two events, we mean 7 days, not 8.  Why would you say 6 days between events if you meant there needed to be a full week?  Just say a full week.  6-7 days between only makes sense if you are encouraging weekly events, but you can go as short as 6 days (Saturday's to Friday's, Friday's to Thursday's).  If you're right, they've made a mess of an already messy situation.

DocWrestling

What is the actual penalty of breaking this rule?  Will they make wrestlers or teams ineligible for the post season?  I think we all realize a normal post season is unlikely.   What would happen if a district decided to wrestle on a Thursday and a Saturday.  What would be the penalty if a triangular was scheduled on a Thursday night?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

I would guess it is up to the school. Since the school scheduled it.......10% or .7 of a dual ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

uwgrappler

No misunderstanding.  Ask your AD for a copy of the clarification letter that went out to all the ADs and conference commissioners this morning. 

madeyson

Has there been an explanation provided as to why wrestling has to wait 6 days in between events when basketball does not?

DocWrestling

Quote from: madeyson on November 11, 2020, 12:50:22 PM
Has there been an explanation provided as to why wrestling has to wait 6 days in between events when basketball does not?

CDC labels wrestling as high risk and basketball as moderate risk.  The only sports labeled high risk are football, wrestling, boys lacrosse, competitive cheer, and dance.

It does not make sense at all.  Had to come down to personal bias and lobbying.
1) How is football different or more risk than basketball with concerns to air droplets?  Football plays last 5-8 seconds.  Rest of time is spent with your own team.  Longer period of time with exposure in basketball with the same individuals.  Plus football is outside.
2) Boys Lacrosse is high risk while girls lacrosse is moderate risk. How is that possible?
3) Many have already stated that wrestling match is only 6-7 minutes max.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on November 11, 2020, 01:11:08 PM

CDC labels wrestling as high risk and basketball as moderate risk.  The only sports labeled high risk are football, wrestling, boys lacrosse, competitive cheer, and dance.

1) How is football different or more risk than basketball with concerns to air droplets?  Football plays last 5-8 seconds.  Rest of time is spent with your own team.  Longer period of time with exposure in basketball with the same individuals.  Plus football is outside.
2) Boys Lacrosse is high risk while girls lacrosse is moderate risk. How is that possible?

Most football games are 7 days apart but in the WIAA's own schedule they have slated level 2 playoffs for a Thursday event. Some schools are now playing Saturday and presumably Thursday.

Hayward

Quote from: bigoil on November 11, 2020, 01:32:17 PM

Most football games are 7 days apart but in the WIAA's own schedule they have slated level 2 playoffs for a Thursday event. Some schools are now playing Saturday and presumably Thursday.

Do as I say and not as I do.  We have to remember these are recomendations and not rules.

madeyson

Thanks DOC - not to be difficult, but I went and looked this up. CDC does NOT distinguish between sports - it was NFHS that developed these guidelines in May (6 months ago). The CDC has changed their guidelines multiple times since then - including "intermittent exposure" - that is now considered a risk if it accumulates to 15 minutes over a 24 hour period of time. Just wish they would actually look at the data and make appropriate changes.

Here is link to NFHS guidelines from June

https://www.nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020-nfhs-guidance-for-opening-up-high-school-athletics-and-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf

And yes I know none of this forum is probably going to make a difference, but it sure does make me feel a little better :)