Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

factfinder

Quote from: Harris on March 06, 2018, 08:02:29 PM
The Iowa Forum has an interesting thread on this as well.  They are now talking about how they can get some of the top WI wrestlers to transfer.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/barry-davis.224640/

An Iowa forum poster asked a good question, in the last 7 years has Mr Askren ever tourned out a D1 All American? Top level high school coaches can turn out college ready prospects with only 4 years of coaching.

Does placing a free thinker, "free Talker", entrepreneur, with a slightly narcissistic personality in a tight corporate structure ever work? Mr Askren has a reputation as a man that doesn't work well with others which works as a business owner, but will not work as a dept head of a dept that will never produce a profit. I don't feel Mr Askren has the subservient and team oriented personality required to work for Mr Alvarez, especially for less income then he most likely is currently making.
Am I missing something ??

wrastle63

He had D2/D3 champs in Newman and Becker. I know Crone was an AWA guy.

factfinder

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 07, 2018, 06:40:52 AM
He had D2/D3 champs in Newman and Becker. I know Crone was an AWA guy.
So No?

SP

Realbuto
Darmestat- he attended Askren camps for years.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Jimmy

Change is never easy,but the attitude of those affected by said change is what will determine if it fails or flourishes.

maggie

Doug Tiedt, has also offered to field questions or comments.  He can be reached at 608-516-2300 or dat@athletics.wisc.edu      I sent him my thoughts, as we all should  :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

lizard king

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 06, 2018, 07:34:06 PM
Dad 2 5, You keep referring to those of use that wanted a change in head coaches as "Barry Haters"

"Will the haters just shift their hate to the new coach or to BA?"

First of all there was never any hate. I met Barry Davis years ago and have always admired him as a person. He has always done a good job of producing excellent young men that go thru his program. He is very well thought of by most of his former wrestlers as a person. He is very well thought of by some of his former wrestlers as a coach.  Has he been good for the UW program, I would say yes, overall. Has he produced the results that many people are hoping for, NO. He's kinda like Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. A nice guy that is liked by his players but has never won a playoff game in all his years there.
I was ringside during the Donny debacle and what Barry Davis and Barry Alvarez did was shameful. Obviously their word wasn't worth anything. That's all water over the dam but I will never forgive them.
Hopefully UW will hire someone that will move the program into the right direction. I for one will start to attend more duals and events for UW Wrestling and financially support the program to the extent that I am able.
Good Luck to Barry Davis and his family in the future

Well said.

Badgerdad

Darmestat also participated in Mitch Clark's "Take Top" camps.

DocWrestling

But you can say the top wrestlers are then attracted to Askren even after they have had success to make them better?

Isn't that just as good?  Don't we want the best wrestlers to want to wrestle for the next head coach
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

FoldEmUp

Quote from: factfinder on March 07, 2018, 06:39:36 AM
Quote from: Harris on March 06, 2018, 08:02:29 PM
The Iowa Forum has an interesting thread on this as well.  They are now talking about how they can get some of the top WI wrestlers to transfer.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/barry-davis.224640/

An Iowa forum poster asked a good question, in the last 7 years has Mr Askren ever tourned out a D1 All American? Top level high school coaches can turn out college ready prospects with only 4 years of coaching.

Does placing a free thinker, "free Talker", entrepreneur, with a slightly narcissistic personality in a tight corporate structure ever work? Mr Askren has a reputation as a man that doesn't work well with others which works as a business owner, but will not work as a dept head of a dept that will never produce a profit. I don't feel Mr Askren has the subservient and team oriented personality required to work for Mr Alvarez, especially for less income then he most likely is currently making.

You do realize how arrogant Barry Alvarez was when he came into Wisconsin to change the culture right?  In his first press conference he made an unscripted (by his admission) comment telling everyone to get their season tickets early.  It was with that confidence and the bravado he and his coaching staff brought with them that made the situation of our current football program and athletic department a reality.

You think the powers that be were completely gung ho about Barry pushing to make the change to the motion W....for the entire university athletics department?  Do you think Barry had to push people out of their comfort zone for Camp Randall renovations and other facility upgrades?  I could go on and on.  In many ways, Askren and Alvarez are very similar.

People who don't want change cling to the status quo for dear life.  It is not surprising the attitudes of those who don't want Askren because he's going to push people out of their comfort zone.  People don't like being pushed out of their comfort zone.  It's this exact reason I feel Askren is the right person for the job.

FoldEmUp

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 07, 2018, 08:26:14 AM

"Slightly"  ;D - I've never seen anyone retweet half as many compliments on Twitter as he does. Straight out of the Ron Burgandy playbook:

"HEY EVERYONE!! COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK!!"

https://youtu.be/o7cSQQgSeDA?t=1

Anyway, with AWA, there's a tricky chicken or the egg thing too. Without question, many of the best wrestlers I saw a couple weekends ago at state were affiliated with AWA, but does correlation mean causation? Take Bianchi & Bosman, both of whom AWA is taking credit. They'd been in the finals, what, two times(?) before stepping foot on an Askren mat. I believe the same discussion can be had about Krattiger and Breske before that. How much is AWA making the wrestler and how much is AWA's reputation luring in already great wrestlers to pad their resume?

I'm not saying AWA adds nothing. Far from it. I just think if we're taking a magnifying glass to Ben's success at AWA, sorting through this question feels central to it.

You really think Askren is taking credit?  All they are doing is acknowledging that they attend AWA.  Some of you have a good amount of sand in your swimsuit.  The more people complain like this the more I like Askren as the hire because it means he's a big change from what we have now, which is exactly what we need.

DocWrestling

With the comparison to the young Alvarez you have me believing that maybe Alvarez would hire Ben because I have had serious doubts that he ever would.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

FoldEmUp

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2018, 09:09:30 AM
With the comparison to the young Alvarez you have me believing that maybe Alvarez would hire Ben because I have had serious doubts that he ever would.

I have absolutely zero inside information at all, but I would think Alvarez would find Askren's confidence intriguing and would chuckle at it.  "Hmm, I remember an up and coming coach like that once."  If you think he's scared off by Askren I think you've got another thing coming.

And anyone who has ever listened to Askren can't say that he isn't extremely thoughtful, well read, and talented.  He's not just some opinion factory.  Far from it.  He's just a guy who calls it like he sees it at times and such honesty isn't something people like hearing.

Alvarez was an arrogant bad mo fo when he came to WI.  He had to be to change the face of the program.  He wasn't coming here to be the head coach, he came here to take us to Rose Bowls and compete for national championships.

bigG

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 07, 2018, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: Brett Favre on March 06, 2018, 07:34:06 PM
Dad 2 5, You keep referring to those of use that wanted a change in head coaches as "Barry Haters"

"Will the haters just shift their hate to the new coach or to BA?"

First of all there was never any hate.

For real, Dad 2 5, why would you classify Brett Favre as a "Barry Hater"? There's certainly no evidence to support that ...

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 03, 2018, 08:14:35 PM
Yea, now in 8th. Time for a lifetime contract for Barry. Overachievers :

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 03, 2018, 07:10:37 PM
WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 03, 2018, 06:04:18 PM
Wisconsin is so bad that when they scroll the team scores across the bottom of the screen on flo that Wisconsin doesn't even show up, they only show the top ten
Barry, please resign tomorrow

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 21, 2018, 07:59:28 AM
WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR  ;D

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 17, 2018, 07:59:05 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE BARRY DAVIS LOVERS

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 06, 2018, 07:46:06 AM
If you think UW is good now, wait till next year.

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 01, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Barry couldn't hold Donny's jockstrap. Davis had a better international career but is nowhere near the coach Pritzlaff is.

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 01, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
Anyone that thinks Barry is a good coach because Hammen says so needs to refine their thinking. BD should have been fired years ago

Quote from: Brett Favre on January 01, 2018, 10:23:48 AM
Looks like the "what if" barry backers are alive and well. When are you guys going to come to realize that BD is the common denominator in the lack of success for the badgers.
Drain the swamp

Quote from: Brett Favre on December 30, 2017, 06:59:24 AM
I hope you Barry lovers don't forget to buy him flowers and chocolate for Valentine's day

Quote from: Brett Favre on July 17, 2017, 08:58:58 PM
More quality kids that wont improve in their college career. Sad but that's the Barry Davis way

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 08, 2017, 04:08:56 PM
UW wrestlers are better off if BD is in the locker room

That's just in the last calendar year.

Naw, Brett was just supporting the program. To Brett, hate talk = respect. Little twisted that way. I bet we all know "that guy."
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestle03

FoldEmUp:
Yes, Alvarez took the Badgers to multiple Rose Bowls - agreed.
Competed for National Championships? - NO

Please put the Alvarez koolaid down.
Thanks.