Barry Davis

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 04, 2018, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Football-  What changed the program and brought in more fans?   A new coach and success
Basketball- What changed the program and brought in more fans?  A new coach and success
Volleyball- What changed the program and brought in more fans?  A new coach and success.
Hockey- Just made a big coaching change- Attendance has gone up.
Women's hockey- coach built program and now they have their own arena
Women's basketball- Can't seem to find the right coach and no fans are showing up. But they have tried different coaches
Men's Soccer- being revived with local coach that turned that program into Big Ten Champs

Other non-revenue sports like tennis have changed coaches.

Seems that a new coach and success leads to fans which leads to more investment by the university.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Houndhead

Quote from: 1Iota on March 06, 2018, 11:02:42 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on March 06, 2018, 10:44:24 AM
Do we know if this decision was made by Davis? Was it his choice to resign? I just don't think Alvarez would force BD out after all these years of status quo. If it was Alvarez that made the decision, then I don't think the replacement would come from the current staff.

He was definitely forced out.  He said he had a meeting with Alvarez & it was decided he would resign.  That is not how it would have unfolded if this was something Barry D was thinking about for some time.  Also the reaction of the team & Parents tells you that this was not Barry D's decision. 

This tells me the administration may have changed the way they view the wrestling program and may be willing to invest more into it.

wrestlemania

"He was definitely forced out.  He said he had a meeting with Alvarez & it was decided he would resign.  That is not how it would have unfolded if this was something Barry D was thinking about for some time.  Also the reaction of the team & Parents tells you that this was not Barry D's decision."

Hmmm, this is curious because if true it begs the question why now? especially when BD was probably going to retire in at least two seasons anyway. You're just now concerned about the state of the program UWAD? You should meet all the fans who have been "concerned" about it for the past 20 years.

But if true, does this mean UW serious about competing at a higher level of wrestling i.e. more resources invested and fewer administrative restrictions on the program? If so, then maybe you can attract someone to coach who is a program builder or who can "take it to the next level" who already is a head coach. But as I said, they're going to want a lot more than $100,000 in salary. Again, are they serious? We're going to find out. But I will say if they forced out BD after 26 years (and there's a difference between resignation and retirement which I thought curious as well in yesterday's official statement) and hire one of the assistants with no change as to how the program is structured and set up, then they've done a big injustice to BD who had to coach with those limitations for so long. It could be BD couldn't make up his mind as to how long he wanted to coach and BA made it up for him, but still as I and many have changing coaches does not guarantee changed results if they still have one-hand tied behind their backs.

mkm13

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2018, 10:42:08 AM

There are plenty of smart wrestlers and this is not just an issue at UW.  In all honesty I don't think our recruiting has ever been that bad.  Davis landed plenty of recruits.  I think he was decent in that area.  

A good portion of future national champs and high AAs are top 15 nationally ranked recruits (I am talking all weights, not individual weight rankings).  Davis very rarely landed this type of recruit.  Most were in the 20 to 75 range (Jordan, Hillger, Taylor, Medberry, Christensen, Robertson, Wicks, etc.)

Houndhead

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 06, 2018, 11:33:57 AM
"He was definitely forced out.  He said he had a meeting with Alvarez & it was decided he would resign.  That is not how it would have unfolded if this was something Barry D was thinking about for some time.  Also the reaction of the team & Parents tells you that this was not Barry D's decision."

Hmmm, this is curious because if true it begs the question why now? especially when BD was probably going to retire in at least two seasons anyway. You're just now concerned about the state of the program UWAD? You should meet all the fans who have been "concerned" about it for the past 20 years.

But if true, does this mean UW serious about competing at a higher level of wrestling i.e. more resources invested and fewer administrative restrictions on the program? If so, then maybe you can attract someone to coach who is a program builder or who can "take it to the next level" who already is a head coach. But as I said, they're going to want a lot more than $100,000 in salary. Again, are they serious? We're going to find out. But I will say if they forced out BD after 26 years (and there's a difference between resignation and retirement which I thought curious as well in yesterday's official statement) and hire one of the assistants with no change as to how the program is structured and set up, then they've done a big injustice to BD who had to coach with those limitations for so long. It could be BD couldn't make up his mind as to how long he wanted to coach and BA made it up for him, but still as I and many have changing coaches does not guarantee changed results if they still have one-hand tied behind their backs.

Maybe Davis wasn't planning on retiring in 2 years. He is only 56 years old. He stated recently that his favorite moment as a coach is when he gets his contract renewed.

wrastle63

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 06, 2018, 11:33:57 AM

It said on the post the minimum salary would be $120,000. So depending on who we get it could be more.

DocWrestling

Quote from: mkm13 on March 06, 2018, 11:38:50 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2018, 10:42:08 AM

There are plenty of smart wrestlers and this is not just an issue at UW.  In all honesty I don't think our recruiting has ever been that bad.  Davis landed plenty of recruits.  I think he was decent in that area.  

A good portion of future national champs and high AAs are top 15 nationally ranked recruits (I am talking all weights, not individual weight rankings).  Davis very rarely landed this type of recruit.  Most were in the 20 to 75 range (Jordan, Hillger, Taylor, Medberry, Christensen, Robertson, Wicks, etc.)

I realize that but I just don't think we are going to land those top recruits very often with any coach.  Just like football does not land the top recruits.  Need a coach that can go higher with less recruits.  A difficult proposition

mkm13

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 06, 2018, 12:31:52 PM
Need a coach that can go higher with less recruits.  A difficult proposition

That will be very difficult.  Part of the reason Askren is appealing is he is so good at promoting himself and I think a lot of younger athletes look up to him.  I think he would be able to bring in a few more high level recruits compared to what we have seen in the past.

IMO, if the new staff brings in the same level of recruits, there will still be a lot of people complaining about the results.

DocWrestling

I just think that some coaches are better at identifying which wrestlers will succeed collegiately.  Many Fargo placewinners do not succeed.  I thought Breske was going to step in and compete to be an AA right away.  There truly is a next level of recruits with guys that can be AA's as freshman.

I also think some coaches are better than others at managing their 9.9 scholarships.  Have to be quite the GM with that salary cap.

bigG

Askren is also boosted by his college coach that could take in lesser recruits and make them shine. Sure did  a fine job with many WI wrestlers.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

billymurphy

It turns out it was the loss to Purdue that got Barry Alvarez to come in and get Barry to clean out his desk.

wrastle63

Quote from: billymurphy on March 06, 2018, 04:33:18 PM
It turns out it was the loss to Purdue that got Barry Alvarez to come in and get Barry to clean out his desk.

How do you know that?

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 05, 2018, 07:50:03 PM
Ringing endorsement for Barry Davis is go look at Wick's mom twitter feed.

I did not get to see the twit but what if this cost's the Badgers the Wick's; Trent H; others that came here due to character and the wrestling. Will the haters just shift their hate to the new coach or to BA?

My hope is that BA hires someone with great character and elevates the team

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Dad 2 5, You keep referring to those of use that wanted a change in head coaches as "Barry Haters"

"Will the haters just shift their hate to the new coach or to BA?"

First of all there was never any hate. I met Barry Davis years ago and have always admired him as a person. He has always done a good job of producing excellent young men that go thru his program. He is very well thought of by most of his former wrestlers as a person. He is very well thought of by some of his former wrestlers as a coach.  Has he been good for the UW program, I would say yes, overall. Has he produced the results that many people are hoping for, NO. He's kinda like Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. A nice guy that is liked by his players but has never won a playoff game in all his years there.
I was ringside during the Donny debacle and what Barry Davis and Barry Alvarez did was shameful. Obviously their word wasn't worth anything. That's all water over the dam but I will never forgive them.
Hopefully UW will hire someone that will move the program into the right direction. I for one will start to attend more duals and events for UW Wrestling and financially support the program to the extent that I am able.
Good Luck to Barry Davis and his family in the future

Harris

The Iowa Forum has an interesting thread on this as well.  They are now talking about how they can get some of the top WI wrestlers to transfer.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/barry-davis.224640/