Midlands, Dec 29-30th.

Started by leg turk, December 11, 2017, 09:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: Numbers on December 30, 2017, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Brett Favre on December 30, 2017, 06:50:12 AM
Iowa's 5 unattached wrestlers are ahead of Wisconsin as a team. That says a lot.

Iowa's unattached would finish ahead of the Badgers even with all our starters entered!

Badger Midland seeds
JJ 12th
Stickley 2nd
Martin 7th
Crone 10th
RC 9th
Ritter 6th

Badger Midland results
Konrath and Crone wrestling for 7th.  Stickley MFF.

Scores after semis
Iowa has 136.5 points.
Iowa unattached 57.5 points.
Wisconsin 30.5.
Wisconsin unattached 6.5

The only positive I have is next year at Midlands the Badger's starters will beat Iowa's unattached team score.

Not sure wait for next year even applies after RR and AC graduate.  But in March of 2020, you can hope for a Badgers 9th or 10th place finish at NCAAs.  Until then, top 20 might be doable.

You obviously have the wrestle the matches, but Roberston and Evan Wick would have been seeded first. Not close to the truth imo.

Wrestling Thug

Robertson wouldn't place any higher than fifth and Wick probably would of won it, so maybe Iowa's unattached would still score higher!

mkm13

Robertson just beat Emery Parker a month ago, who is wrestling in the finals. I think it is pretty unfair to say he wouldn't finish higher than 5th.  If You want to be negative fine, but at least be reasonable.

Clearly we did not do good without arguably our 3 best wrestlers and are arguably 4th best getting hurt.  It would have been nice for a few guys to do better, but the competition was also tough.

The good news is Konrath shows he belongs and can compete well against ranked wrestlers as a true freshman. 

Hillger had a couple tough opponents.  He will need to figure out his offense before next year as he has had trouble scoring against good wrestlers.  Hopefully a year getting stronger will help.

billymurphy

If your highest finisher is only good for 7th place and Iowa had five champions then the differences between the two programs is vast.

Wrestling Thug

I don't think that it is unfair to say that RR wouldn't place higher than 5th. He's far from being consistent and from what I personally seen at the Midlands I don't think he would of done better than 5th. And to touch on the Big 10 tiers of hierarchy, the Badgers are lower than "lowly" Purdue and Northwestern!

Numbers

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 30, 2017, 04:36:05 PM
Quote from: Numbers on December 30, 2017, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Brett Favre on December 30, 2017, 06:50:12 AM
Iowa's 5 unattached wrestlers are ahead of Wisconsin as a team. That says a lot.

Iowa's unattached would finish ahead of the Badgers even with all our starters entered!

Badger Midland seeds
JJ 12th
Stickley 2nd
Martin 7th
Crone 10th
RC 9th
Ritter 6th

Badger Midland results
Konrath and Crone wrestling for 7th.  Stickley MFF.

Scores after semis
Iowa has 136.5 points.
Iowa unattached 57.5 points.
Wisconsin 30.5.
Wisconsin unattached 6.5

The only positive I have is next year at Midlands the Badger's starters will beat Iowa's unattached team score.

Not sure wait for next year even applies after RR and AC graduate.  But in March of 2020, you can hope for a Badgers 9th or 10th place finish at NCAAs.  Until then, top 20 might be doable.

You obviously have the wrestle the matches, but Roberston and Evan Wick would have been seeded first. Not close to the truth imo.

Well given that Spencer Lee did not wrestle in consolation and only took 6th, a full Badger team would have beaten the Iowa unattached team.  You do realize how crazy it is that this can even be a topic.  

4 Iowa redshirts (that scored) against a Big Ten lineup?  You would think a Wisconsin team sending guys at only 8 weights (and 2 at some weights) could outscore 5 Iowa unattached wresters.  But the unattched team scored 58.5 and another only 31.5.

Wrestling Thug

Michigan's 3 JV's scored 6.5 points less than 8 badgers!

Barou

So Iowa sent all their starters to the Midlands and PSU is sending all theirs to the SS.  I hope that doesn't cost them at NCAA's.
JHI Mafia

herewego

If Eli doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would've given them a healthy boost in the team standings

dad 2 5

Quote from: herewego on January 01, 2018, 09:00:05 AM
If Eli doesn't get injured, I'm sure he would've given them a healthy boost in the team standings

And if the Badgers had the Wick's and RR they would have been near the top but instead a much below average and expectations finish. I'm a big Badger fan and like the coaching staff but this is tough, at least it is not Cleveland Browns type tough :))

Looking forward to the dual meets. Should be interesting math-ups.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Looks like the "what if" barry backers are alive and well. When are you guys going to come to realize that BD is the common denominator in the lack of success for the badgers.
Drain the swamp

Wrestling Thug

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 01, 2018, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: herewego on January 01, 2018, 09:00:05 AM

And if the Badgers had the Wick's and RR they would have been near the top but instead a much below average and expectations finish. I'm a big Badger fan and like the coaching staff but this is tough, at least it is not Cleveland Browns type tough :))

Looking forward to the dual meets. Should be interesting math-ups.
This is exactly Cleveland Browns tough! Both staffs can't produce results for YEARS!

leg turk

Happy New Year!  Next year is finally here!

billymurphy

"I know it's early, but I was looking up some of the teams that will be there.  It's surely going to let us know where we stand."

We learned that unless the Wicks go, then it is a waste of time for the team to go.

mkm13

To be fair it was not just the Wicks. We were essentially missing our 4 best wrestlers: Wicks, Robertson (Who just beat the Midlands champ), and Stickley.