Cheating-By top programs in the state

Started by wrestler_73, February 03, 2020, 12:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How sick are you about the cheating going on with wrestling programs in our state

Not all...I welcome the competition...it's a free market for students and families
33 (40.7%)
I am ok with it, I wish our coach and henchmen did it!
6 (7.4%)
I don't like it...but meh
15 (18.5%)
I would love to see a homegrown state tournament...tired of over zealous parents bidding out their kids to the top programs
17 (21%)
I wish the WIAA would step in
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: February 23, 2020, 01:06:32 PM

The wrestler

Great idea for your son. Won't believe how much more your son can learn not just in wrestling but new school atmosphere and does for a kid in all around different culture. Has a lot of influence on making decisions down the road. It's fun winning on a team instead of winning his match but the team always losing. What school are you thinking of going to.

NoFooForU

Quote from: GradeTough on February 19, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
Great thread. I have been going back and forth for a couple of years on if transfering my son to a good wrestling program is worth it. I have actively explored the idea and I am seriously considering it. Especially knowing the type of team he would be on during his time at the H.S. program.

Comparing the academics, culture, and other factors that appear equal among the schools targeted leaves the wrestling program as the difference. My rationale is why not get a great education and get a great wrestling team atmosphere while you are at it. More enjoyable doing it as a team than strictly an individual.

And don't let anyone tell you that what you are doing is cheating or un-ethical.  You have the right as a parent to do this, and it doesn't violate any rules.  Best of luck on your search. 

GradeTough

lol...it can't be cheating. I know a few parents that looked into this as their son was nearing high school. Plus it is openly talked about during practices.

In the end you want to put your kid in a position of success on multiple levels. It isn't a clear cut decision. Looking at Slinger, G-Town, and Arrowhead.

ramjet

Quote from: GradeTough on February 19, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
Great thread. I have been going back and forth for a couple of years on if transfering my son to a good wrestling program is worth it. I have actively explored the idea and I am seriously considering it. Especially knowing the type of team he would be on during his time at the H.S. program.

Comparing the academics, culture, and other factors that appear equal among the schools targeted leaves the wrestling program as the difference. My rationale is why not get a great education and get a great wrestling team atmosphere while you are at it. More enjoyable doing it as a team than strictly an individual.

Open enrollment by the rules is NOT cheating. It's a family decision and it's your decision you can do it and should not have any BS from anyone. Play by the rules you are good to go. This thread was an obvious rhetoric aimed at successful programs out of jealousy and speculation.

YAAFAHB

Quite honestly, if parents want to move their kids because they think their kids are superstars and are going to benefit so much more and get scholarships, good ridden's. Most of the time, those parents are selfish and are not good for a program or team, jumping from youth program to youth program, High School to High School and most of the time, they are done wrestling soon after HS.

I am more impressed with kids who help their program become better and win as a team.

I do think it is wrong when programs recruit, and they do, and those WIAA guidelines that were posted are so cloudy and often overlooked. Look at all of the High School Coaches who are coaching their HS kids at Freestyle State, its illegal, but they do it.

YAAFAHB

Quote from: GradeTough on February 19, 2020, 01:47:47 PM
lol...it can't be cheating. I know a few parents that looked into this as their son was nearing high school. Plus it is openly talked about during practices.

In the end you want to put your kid in a position of success on multiple levels. It isn't a clear cut decision. Looking at Slinger, G-Town, and Arrowhead.

It can be cheating if they are openly recruited for their athletic ability. Arrowhead is one of the biggest culprits. Slinger is a true story of a homegrown program.

NoFooForU

Quote from: YAAFAHB on February 20, 2020, 10:01:01 AM

Slinger is a true story of a homegrown program.

Ahh, we see your true colors.  And, Slinger isn't the only program in the state that has homegrown talent.  Don't disparage another program because they're not exactly the same as your home town team.

The wrestler

Every school has its own identity. They are noted for excelling in certain sports in a conference. Some schools have more sport programs than the school can handle. That makes some schools not good in any sports. A school like Wrightstown this year are ranked in all the sports. Majority of most schools don't support the wrestling programs because it is not a professional sport. When you have a great wrestler and their is no one in the wrestling room to practice with and pushing you to be better what do you do. Ask your parents to go to AWA academy to learn more and they will if you can improve your wrestling then you are entering high school and your program have not won a conference match in years. Nobody for your son to improve. Nine times out of ten if a kid transfers to a school for wrestling he will only wrestle or and play football. When you have a bushel of apples and and one rotten apple in it they can turn all the apples rotten fast. Your wrestling program has to be full of a lot of positive people to help the TEAM. That is what wrestling is about. If you can not put 14 kids on the mat you will not go far. That's where the apples come in the program. That is why the kids transfer. Get your school and the parents to back your program. Always feel sorry for the schools that don't have nobody in the stands to watch their wrestling team. That's why kids transfer.

NoFooForU

It can be cheating if they are openly recruited for their athletic ability. Arrowhead is one of the biggest culprits.

Arrowhead doesn't need to recruit.  Everyone knows that take transfers.  To imply they are violating the rules is wrong on your part.  They are a huge district with the means to put funds into their athletic programs.  That is how they attract kids from outside their district.  So, don't throw shade on them because parents want something better for their kids.  Look internally to see what your home town district can make do to improve what they offer to families. 

YAAFAHB

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on February 20, 2020, 10:19:48 AM
Quote from: NoFooForU on February 20, 2020, 10:15:59 AM

Ahh, we see you're true colors.  And, Slinger isn't the only program in the state that has homegrown talent.  Don't disparage another program because they're not exactly the same as your home town team.

Mukwonago=homegrown, too.

Agreed, Great example. There are plenty of similar examples. My use of Slinger was just came to mind because the post stated it was one of their choices. Look, I have no problem if a parent wants to "transfer" their kid because they are not happy with a program or school, My problem is when kids are recruited, which there is a difference, where coaches are actively looking to get kids to come to schools. I look at schools like mukwonago, slinger, Burlington, and many more I see homegrown teams.

ElectricGuy

Recruitment probably happens, but what are you going to do unless it's caught.  I guess you can rant and rant on the forum   ::)

I had 3 HS kids in 3 different HS in the same year.  2 open enrolled, 1 stayed put, each had their own reason and each HS offered our student / athlete additional opportunities that the other HS did not have.  I never see that as a bad thing to give our kids opportunities and choices. 
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

hasbeen

Quote from: GradeTough on February 19, 2020, 01:47:47 PM
Looking at Slinger, G-Town, and Arrowhead.

Wait a minute...If GradeTough's kid goes to "Home Grown" Slinger are they then cheating too?? What can the coaches there do to stop this from happening???

wrestlemania

"One thing unique about Wisconsin is we have many small school districts. . .at what point and time are we going to have serious discussion on school district consolidation in regards to taxpayers tax dollar relief?"

We will not. Because the state legislature will not touch that hornets nest with a 100-foot pole. Because whacking a school district actually turns out to be more expensive than keeping it as those in the Palmyra-Eagle School District who wanted to strangle their own schools found out. Because if you closes a school you condemn the towns which they are in to economic deprivation and poverty (don't believe me? Find a small town in Wisconsin which has an open school building and one that doesn't and tell me what the differnce is. I think you'll find it stark.) And which districts are you going to take out hmm and what are you going to do when they don't want to be eliminated? Hmmm?

Bottom line is if consolidation happens, it will happen when two districts agree merge on their own and the citizens of both districts are agreeable to it. In other words, it takes place of its own volition, not because someone forces it on them.

npope

Ahh, we see you're true colors.  And, Slinger isn't the only program in the state that has homegrown talent.  Don't disparage another program because they're not exactly the same as your home town team.

Not that it really impacts this discussion, but Mukwonago's superintendent (Shawn McNulty) was one of my wrestlers for me in high school.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

crossface21

Quote from: npope on February 20, 2020, 01:10:59 PM

Not that it really impacts this discussion, but Mukwonago's superintendent (Shawn McNulty) was one of my wrestlers for me in high school.

Their AD is the former head coach as well.