WWF Post Season Plan

Started by padre, November 06, 2020, 03:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

with Pfizer vaccine coming out in December and Moderna mostly by beginning of January, all high risk patients can be inoculated by end of January with proper planning and efficiency.

so hold the WIAA state series in February as normal, masked fans at 50% capacity, and no masks for wrestlers.

dman

Quote from: DarkKnight on November 12, 2020, 10:41:46 AM
with Pfizer vaccine coming out in December and Moderna mostly by beginning of January, all high risk patients can be inoculated by end of January with proper planning and efficiency.

so hold the WIAA state series in February as normal, masked fans at 50% capacity, and no masks for wrestlers.

This!

Lunatic Fringe

The masks on during wrestling definitely comes accross likes it's going to be a huge problem.

However, our team has now been practicing 2x per week for the past two weeks while wearing masks and I think we've got a handle on it.  Couple of idea's for teams who will be facing this shortly.

1st: Buy tight fighting masks have adjustable ear loops. (BSNSports sells a good mask for $1.47 each)
2nd: Make sure your athletes have tight fitting headgear on.  It really locks the mask in place.  (Drilling really isn't much of an issue with the mask falling off)
3rd: Set the standard right away.  Don't let athletes get away with pulling it down below their nose or having it "accidentally" fall off and continuing to wrestle.
4th: Use it as an opportunity.  We've had some good discussions with our guys that the world is full of diversity currently, but we can't let that stop us from accomplishing our goals.

A strong team atmosphere and energized coaches will override the drag of wearing masks.

DarkKnight

I like to hear the positive attack on it.

It can be done.

littleguy301

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on November 12, 2020, 12:57:29 PM
The masks on during wrestling definitely comes accross likes it's going to be a huge problem.

However, our team has now been practicing 2x per week for the past two weeks while wearing masks and I think we've got a handle on it.  Couple of idea's for teams who will be facing this shortly.

1st: Buy tight fighting masks have adjustable ear loops. (BSNSports sells a good mask for $1.47 each)
2nd: Make sure your athletes have tight fitting headgear on.  It really locks the mask in place.  (Drilling really isn't much of an issue with the mask falling off)
3rd: Set the standard right away.  Don't let athletes get away with pulling it down below their nose or having it "accidentally" fall off and continuing to wrestle.
4th: Use it as an opportunity.  We've had some good discussions with our guys that the world is full of diversity currently, but we can't let that stop us from accomplishing our goals.

A strong team atmosphere and energized coaches will override the drag of wearing masks.

That is outstanding and glad to hear it!

I am going to ask, and please I am asking for advice on how to handle this.

you said drilling, how is live going?
have you worked on front head situations?
have you worked on crossface cradles and turk stuff?

I know my son ran into problems with the front heads and cross face with the mask getting ripped or getting lodged in the mouth.

just asking.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Also I was told today that the mask has to meet certain quailifications set by the WIAA. I havent confirmed that yet but recieved an email that showed the mask that is being asked to wear while competing in wrestling. It cost around 20 dollars and much like the head gear must meet the guide lines set by the WIAA reguarding extra equipment.

I believe the one that is being recomended is by Shock Doctor. It is attached on the back of the head to reduce any pull on the ears and provide a bigger coverage to reduce the chance of becoming dislodged and preventing choking or strangling.

Wrestling Novice

Wouldn't it just be easier to wear a lucha libre tyoemmask and be done with it?  Have the head gear built in and it solves everyone's problem.

littleguy301

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on November 13, 2020, 05:58:27 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to wear a lucha libre tyoemmask and be done with it?  Have the head gear built in and it solves everyone's problem.

Sounds like it!

littleguy301

Quote from: Hayward on November 11, 2020, 09:34:09 AM
These still say guidelines.  Can a school still choose to do things different?  What can the WIAA do if the guidelines are not followed?

One of the several questions I asked Heidi. Still waiting for a response

bigG

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on November 12, 2020, 12:57:29 PM

Good stuff, man. It is do-able. Can't wait to get up there and wrestling.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

It can be done if it has to be done.  I am tired of parents saying "I am not going to let my kid wrestle if he has to wear a mask".  Let them make the choice.  It does not affect the parent and it is pretty obvious that kids can adapt to anything and are willing to try anything.

So far in everything I have seen with changes in life over past 6 months the kids that are doing the best are just adapting and moving on rather than listening to their parents complain about everything.

It sucks for everyone and most of all these kids but in so many instances when given at least the chance to do something they are making the best of it no matter the rules and guidelines.

Coaches and parents can make a huge difference.  If done well this year it will only benefit your team or child even more next year when they grow from this and things return to normal.

I do not think athletes need to wear masks while competing like it is somehow changing the course of the virus for the better but I also do not see it as some safety issue.  That is mostly an excuse.  WRESTLERS DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: DocWrestling on November 13, 2020, 09:39:29 AM
It can be done if it has to be done.  I am tired of parents saying "I am not going to let my kid wrestle if he has to wear a mask".  Let them make the choice.  It does not affect the parent and it is pretty obvious that kids can adapt to anything and are willing to try anything.

So far in everything I have seen with changes in life over past 6 months the kids that are doing the best are just adapting and moving on rather than listening to their parents complain about everything.

It sucks for everyone and most of all these kids but in so many instances when given at least the chance to do something they are making the best of it no matter the rules and guidelines.

Coaches and parents can make a huge difference.  If done well this year it will only benefit your team or child even more next year when they grow from this and things return to normal.

I do not think athletes need to wear masks while competing like it is somehow changing the course of the virus for the better but I also do not see it as some safety issue.  That is mostly an excuse.  WRESTLERS DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!

I don't like wrestling in masks, but whatever; it is what it is.

I've noticed through the whole mask thing that parents have more problems BY FAR than the kids. Still, I worry about a choking event.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Lunatic Fringe

you said drilling, how is live going? With the headgear on, live has been going well.
have you worked on front head situations? Yes, it can be an issue, it gets pulled up or down, kids just adjust it afterwards.
have you worked on crossface cradles and turk stuff? Yes, this has been less of an issue than front head stuff.

The mask certainly moves if someone's arm or hand comes in contact with it.  The tighter the mask and the better the headgear the less it happens.

It's not perfect but it is manageable.

Lunatic Fringe

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 12, 2020, 10:13:46 PM
Also I was told today that the mask has to meet certain quailifications set by the WIAA. I havent confirmed that yet but recieved an email that showed the mask that is being asked to wear while competing in wrestling. It cost around 20 dollars and much like the head gear must meet the guide lines set by the WIAA reguarding extra equipment.

I believe the one that is being recomended is by Shock Doctor. It is attached on the back of the head to reduce any pull on the ears and provide a bigger coverage to reduce the chance of becoming dislodged and preventing choking or strangling.

Where did you read this? I haven't seen anything about this in the communications from the WIAA.  Only thing I've seen is that Gaitor's aren't allowed.

imwi

I suspect his coach wants those kind of masks.  The WIAA said no gaitors and no logos just like the headgear.  Someone might have said "hey, these are good masks' and somehow that got translated to this is what the WIAA said.