WIAA Winter Sport Guidelines

Started by CoachA, October 09, 2020, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestling Novice

My concern is that each conference will treat this differently. 

For example, in soccer one conference in SE Wisconsin is only playing conference games, while other conferences are allowed to play conference games and some non conference games.  I would love to see all conferences on the same page.

Second, if the first meet is December 4th, and regionals are January 30th, provided they will allow this to take place, From December 4th to January 23rd, you will only have the opportunity for maybe 8 dual meets.

Third, they need to address Conference Championships, Regionals, and Sectionals.  Will these be allowed?

padre

wrestle4life

Quote from: padre on October 09, 2020, 03:17:43 PM
Quote from: CoachA on October 09, 2020, 01:33:58 PM
https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Health/Covid/WIAA-Winter-Sport-Guidelines.pdf

Thoughts?

Thoughts? One match a week for 7 weeks.  What kind of thoughts could there be besides bad?
Ridiculous.

Agreed, I think MN is at least doing quads.  Many kids won't get to wrestle if it is a single team dual only. 

madeyson

Not a good sign, duals once a week with only one team. Forfeits and shifting - kids may only get a few matches the entire season? What is the purpose - have to look at risk vs reward - zero reward with this plan. Guessing this assumes no state tournament at all. Sad - wish they would allow these kids and coaches to make the decisions - keep fans out...really don't care about that -  but give the kids a chance.

madeyson

How many tournaments around the country have had 1500+ wrestlers wrestling....and we can't find a way to have 100 in a gym for a tournament? There are so many options and ideas on how to be responsible and have tournaments/competitions. It seems like no one wants to really fight for what is right - instead take the easy way out.

imwi

Quote from: wrestle4life on October 09, 2020, 03:22:32 PM
https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Health/Covid/WIAA-Winter-Sport-Guidelines.pdf

Thoughts?

Thoughts? One match a week for 7 weeks.  What kind of thoughts could there be besides bad?
Ridiculous.

Agreed, I think MN is at least doing quads.  Many kids won't get to wrestle if it is a single team dual only.

Thought they said triangulars but your point is valid

padre

Quote from: imwi on October 09, 2020, 03:55:43 PM

Thoughts?

Ridiculous.

Thought they said triangulars but your point is valid

Nope.  If we don't come together as a wrestling community against this then WE are the problem.  Basketball basically can carry on as usual.

DarkKnight

Somehow, I'd like to appeal to the WIAA to get this properly straightened out. There are some huge misunderstandings.

padre

Quote from: DarkKnight on October 09, 2020, 05:41:44 PM
Somehow, I'd like to appeal to the WIAA to get this properly straightened out. There are some huge misunderstandings.

At this point they are just recommendations so we will see how it plays out.

MNbadger

Duals and tris in MN.
Max two per week.
No tournaments whether dual or indy.
Al least this was the last permutation.

Thoughts?

Ridiculous.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

madeyson

Keep in mind - these are basically the same guidelines for the cross country season...and there have many multi team events and I believe they are having a state tournament. While frustrating - let's not give up just yet!

shift

Im sorry but this is absurd.   As of right now if we hypothetically had a state event, kids are gonna have 6/8 matches give or take.   SMH.   So wrestling its 1 on 1 obviously, but basketball is ok?  I mean you have say 20 players including the bench players right in each others faces guarding each other and a ton of touching while guarding????   What am I missing here!!!!    I dont even want to tell my senior this, hes already distraught from football being moved to spring but holding out hope there.  This is gonna break the camels back for him here, im at a loss of words right now.   Time to stand up community and see if any changes can be made here...

Thanks

imwi

Just think, not too long ago, we worried about what was on a kid's head gear

Numbers

You can say this sucks but Wisconsin voted for the the current state leadership in 2018.  Deal with it.