WIAA working crowd control at Girls' BB State Tournament

Started by Barou, March 13, 2017, 01:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

we watched it at my work and can only say wow.....  Why wouldn't they atleast let the girl cross over and hug her  brother.  Way Wrong!!!! :(
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Barou

Quote from: aarons23 on March 13, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
we watched it at my work and can only say wow.....  Why wouldn't they atleast let the girl cross over and hug her  brother.  Way Wrong!!!! :(

So many better ways Deb Hauser could have handled that situation.  Another display of the heavy handed WIAA and complete lack of social tact.  By nature of the business they are in they have to make unpopular decisions, I get it.  Rarely agree with them and they disregard the most important part of Wisconsin Athletics, the athletes!  However, so much of how they are perceived is based on interaction.  Just a few weeks ago I gave serious props to Wade Labecki.  I thought he gave a very uplifting and optimistic interview on future changes he envisioned for Wisconsin wrestling.  This, however, is another big step backwards and of course they can't just say how it was handled was wrong.  The typical WIAA response, we apologize IF...........
JHI Mafia

bigoil

I would like to see a video of St point winning and see if she hugged her sons?

I will say we were told there is to be no meeting with family after the game at the Resch that my daughters team was part of. That doesn't excuse shooing away a little kid.

Dale Einerson

Oof.  Good thing they had the crowd control police in tow.

I understand the basic rule; I am a big supporter and believer in enforcing rules once established as breaking 1 rule can mean having no rules...but what would have happened if big state champ Sis took a run off the court briefly to hug the little bro?  In some regards I think they took the "no" at face value when they could have walked off court...perhaps...

I agree on the optics.  Ugly and embarrassing optics, again. 

boowrestle

you can run but you cannot hide.

rl77

Not the WIAA's fault. It is the parent's fault. This is not the local gym. This is not a regular game. I agree poor optics but you have no idea the stuff that is going on behind the scenes to make the tournament run. Please do not fault someone for trying to do their job. She, Hauser, should have never been put in that situation.

DocWrestling

The WIAA's response to this firestorm with their statement has just made things even worse.

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Viral-tweet-WIAA-official-pushes-little-boy-trying-to-hug-sister-after-win-415997203.html

I get what she was trying to do but once she looks back and realizes it was a little boy, how can she not reconsider on the spot and make it happen.  Common sense went out the window.   She was a heartless robot that only could think about her mandate on crowd control.  Almost seemed like she was trying to stop the celebration so they could have the ceremony and she could get out of their quicker.  It is like everything has to be so strict so nobody has to think
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Dale Einerson

I believe the WIAA's response was very well done...

Speaking of wrestling Boowrestle...one of my favorite state tournament memories is the 1-man floor rush by Oscar Mireles that didn't end well when the man's son won state.  I still smile to myself when I think of the Dad being ushered off the floor with some help.

Ghetto

Quote from: rl77 on March 13, 2017, 02:32:58 PM
Not the WIAA's fault. It is the parent's fault. This is not the local gym. This is not a regular game. I agree poor optics but you have no idea the stuff that is going on behind the scenes to make the tournament run. Please do not fault someone for trying to do their job. She, Hauser, should have never been put in that situation.

Totally agree with this. A buddy and I just had this discussion regarding NCAA's. It's not a local gym.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on March 13, 2017, 03:18:29 PM

Totally agree with this. A buddy and I just had this discussion regarding NCAA's. It's not a local gym.

You have to be kidding.  The kid is like 3 years old.  You don't think a conversation with the athlete or the coach could have resolved it. 
JHI Mafia

bigoil

I was there for the semi's and your exit brings you behind the bench and if you are in the student section, you are on the floor. We were told ahead of time, no meet and greets, and to someone's point, so were the Levys.

She still looks heartless and as the Mom of a defending back to back basketball team, you'd think she may have given her sons a hug after they won.

DocWrestling

The WIAA needs to reconsider their policy then.  These are kids.  The first people they should be celebrating with are their family.  Give each kid 5 badges for family to come right on the court and be part of the celebration.  I get you don't want a student body rush but family should be first when dealing with minors!

The kids would rather hug their parents than be rushed to the WIAA trophy ceremenony right away.  Let family be a part of that ceremony

Say-Say

Got to agree with this one. 

DocWrestling

Quote from: Ghetto on March 13, 2017, 03:18:29 PM

You also have to realize that this was the girls state championship.  At the point this happened there were likely fewer people there and near the floor than there are when they play a conference game in their home gym.   There is no safety hazard.

I can agree with you that if they have the policy they want to try and enforce it but there is a time and a place and ultimately the question becomes why is the policy there if safety is not an issue.

And did you also read the the link.  Parents were not allowed to hug, congratulate, or talk to the athletes until they got off the bus in their hometowns!   That is complete nonsense.  Remember these are kids not college or pro athletes.  They still live at home with their families!