Why kids quit wrestling.

Started by ramjet, September 29, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do think the reason is that some kids do not go out for wrestling?

Think the singlets are weird.
10 (16.7%)
To tough physically and do not want to work.
41 (68.3%)
Specific program (school is not great wrestling school)
10 (16.7%)
Not exposed to it at young age.
7 (11.7%)
Too much commitment required.
20 (33.3%)
Weight cutting
9 (15%)
Crazy Parents demand too much
3 (5%)
Injuries and physical strain on the body.
0 (0%)
Grades
0 (0%)
Competing sports discouraging wrestling.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: October 09, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

imnofish

I think that in today's social culture, "It's gay" is an easy excuse.  I really doubt the authenticity of that statement, but I suspect what they really mean is "I feel self-conscious in the singlet."  American males would rather sound macho, instead of admitting personal vulnerability. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Quote from: imnofish on October 06, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
I think that in today's social culture, "It's gay" is an easy excuse.  I really doubt the authenticity of that statement, but I suspect what they really mean is "I feel self-conscious in the singlet."  American males would rather sound macho, instead of admitting personal vulnerability. 
Those are not excuses, real examples that I heard a week ago. To be clear neither kid quit, one was my son. But if that happens to two kids I know in one week in a wrestling community, I'm guessing it is happening a lot more and the impact on each kid is different.

Barou

Has the singlet issue always been around?  "Back in my day" (20+ years ago) I honestly don't remember any issues of self-consciousness or whatever regarding the singlets.
JHI Mafia

ramjet

Come on kids or adults that throw that at you about wrestling are obviously afraid of the sport because of the toughness, physical and mental demands so they grab at some funny little term so they can justify not doing it themselves. Cowardly and Petty that's what I call these folks and remember "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Barou

Quote from: ramjet on October 08, 2015, 12:58:14 PM
Come on kids or adults that throw that at you about wrestling are obviously afraid of the sport because of the toughness, physical and mental demands so they grab at some funny little term so they can justify not doing it themselves. Cowardly and Petty that's what I call these folks and remember "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Yep, right on point!
JHI Mafia

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on October 08, 2015, 12:58:14 PM

Yep! Ranks right up there with, "I hate the coach." Excuses... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Troy Grindle

People read way to much into why a kid quits a sport.  Wrestling is no different than any other sport.  I currently have 63 kids out for my 4th grade football team.  Most likely half will quit by their senior year.  Wrestling isn't as popular as football so a safe number of kids that wrestle in the first day of practice in a 4th grade program for a division 1 high school is probably around 10.  Half the kids quit before their senior year and you have 5 seniors on the team which is probably what a above average division 1 high school wrestling team has on it.  Kids quit because they just don't enjoy the sport, it isn't their "cup of tea".  I played baseball all through elementary and middle school and was pretty decent at it.  In high school there was no way I was going to play baseball.  Plain and simple I didn't like it.  I thought it was boring.  It wasn't the uniform or the coach or playing double headers or insert any other excuse.  I just didn't like playing baseball that much.  Same goes for 99% of the kids who quit wrestling.  They just don't want to do it.  Focus on the average athletic kids that want to be in your wrestling room and get better not the super athletic kids who aren't in your room and don't want to be.
And then there was that.

ElectricGuy

Troy - your banned from the forum.  This is no place for common sense, reasoning, and rationality
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

imnofish

People who quit or choose not to participate in a sport all too often make negative comments about the sport or its participants.  Why not simply state, "It's just not my thing."  Nothing else to say, really.  Is there really any way we can make it "their thing?"  Probably not, in most cases.  I've heard basketball players say that wrestling is gay and I've heard wrestlers say that basketball is for wimps.  However, when a basketball player challenges a wrestler to a match, he gets destroyed.  Same thing happens when a wrestler challenges a basketball player to a game of one-on-one.  Maybe the real question is, "What can we do to encourage more kids to explore wrestling and give it a fair chance?" 

Handles II

A repost from Kevin Black's blog last year:

http://kjblack.blogspot.com/2014/11/why-kids-quit-sports-and-how-parents.html

And today:

http://kjblack.blogspot.com/2015/10/why-cant-we-just-have-discussion-on.html?spref=fb

Some pretty similar things have been brought up in this and other threads. Not looking to the future, plowing ahead with the status quo while numbers dwindle, then saying "oh well, kids quit stuff.".  That isn't acceptable in my book. Try to figure out why, and see if there are solutions.

1Iota

Quote from: Handles II on October 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM

And today:

http://kjblack.blogspot.com/2015/10/why-cant-we-just-have-discussion-on.html?spref=fb

Some pretty similar things have been brought up in this and other threads. Not looking to the future, plowing ahead with the status quo while numbers dwindle, then saying "oh well, kids quit stuff.".  That isn't acceptable in my book. Try to figure out why, and see if there are solutions.

I think I would vote for Kevin if he ever runs for public office.

ramjet

And today:

OMG HandlesII you are just doom and gloom for crying out loud there many very succeful,programs and clubs in the state for wrestling.

::) You might want to stick to obese people and tattoos at the Dells.....that seems to fit your poltitical persona better. ;)

imnofish

And today:

Thanks for posting these.  Both are very pertinent to this discussion and should be read and considered by all parents, coaches, fans, Americans.   8)

Handles II

Quote from: ramjet on October 09, 2015, 08:50:24 PM

And today:

OMG HandlesII you are just doom and gloom for crying out loud there many very succeful,programs and clubs in the state for wrestling.

::) You might want to stick to obese people and tattoos at the Dells.....that seems to fit your poltitical persona better. ;)

Talk to Kevin, they are his blogs, not mine. He must not know much about it in comparison to you ramjet.

ramjet

Quote from: bigoil on October 07, 2015, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: imnofish on October 06, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
Those are not excuses, real examples that I heard a week ago. To be clear neither kid quit, one was my son. But if that happens to two kids I know in one week in a wrestling community, I'm guessing it is happening a lot more and the impact on each kid is different.

I do not suppose they join the swim team either then.  :o

In the end I do not feel that wrestling is suffering any more looks in participation than any other sport these days. Fact is its cyclical and I am sure there is some data to prove that. Basketball may suffer but it not that apparent because 5 that's all you need so the bench goes down slightly so what. Football plenty of 8 man teams cropping up these days. Why football is so popular? The reasons are as vast as any some you tell you soccer is taking kids some will tell you head injuries , some will tell you declining enrollment. How about golf one kid can make up the team.

Greco I remember when my son started in our little club consisted of 2 wrestlers two coaches and parents. The guy who ran that program stayed the course and my son and the other young man made thier marks at the WWF State tournament and we all had allot of fun. Sure more kids would have great but the interest was not thier and baseball and fishing and prom and everything else kept others from joining. 

So all this should come down to is; Take care of your own house and make your team or program better the rest will follow.

In other words; much ado about nothing.