Wis. Legislature AB 76

Started by woody53, March 11, 2015, 05:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Sorry if I stir something that is nothing. But that is a new Bill AB 76, that changes the verbage from "MMA" to "Unarmed Combat Sports". Wrestling is considered a Unarmed Combat Sport. There are excemptions for amaetuer wrestling, but the verbage talks about primary, secondary and collegient competition. Does this put Club competition and Private training Centers in a bind. The verbage, if I read it right, would require a Licensed Promoter. And Licensed Doctor, and Licensed Officials on site and conducting the competition. This was brought to my attention by another wrestler. Depending on how they receive compensation, as a Club or a Training Center also is what is brought to question.
Do you think it will be a problem? Is it another Bill that is being presented blind to most involved?

Added by Administration:
Consider Contacting
Mike Kuglitsch
R- New Berlin Dis. 84
608-267-5158
888-534-0084
Rep.Kuglitsch@legis.wisconsin.gov
He wrestled in college at Whitewater in early 80's.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

jeast

Wondering about this section:

Section 13. 444.04  Promoter and club reports. Within 2 business days after a promoter
or club holds a professional contest or amateur unarmed
combat sports contest, the club shall furnish to the department a written report,
verified by the promoter or by one of the club's officers under penalty of perjury,
showing the number of tickets sold for the contest, the amount of gross proceeds, and
all other information the department requires by rule to be included in the report.
The department may limit, suspend, revoke, or assess a forfeiture to the promoter
or club for failure to comply with this section or failure to provide accurate
information to the department.

Would that include the Dells thing coming up in future years?  It isn't a school event so to me, it sounds like it would be under this provision. 

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

jeast

Then there is this:
Section 21. 444.11 of the statutes is amended to read:
12444.11 Licenses to matchmakers, referees, contestants, etc. The
department may grant licenses upon application and the payment of the prescribed
fees to matchmakers, managers, referees, boxers,
unarmed combat sports contestants, seconds, and trainers timekeepers in
professional contests and amateur unarmed combat
sports contests. The fees to be paid per year shall be: Matchmakers and managers,
$10; referees and judges, $15; examining physicians, $10; boxers and unarmed combat sports
contestants, $40; seconds, $40; and
timekeepers, $10. The department may limit, suspend, or revoke any license granted
under this section or reprimand the licensee upon such cause as it deems sufficient.

Everyone including coaches, timers, refs and contestants will be paying a license fee to the State. Hmm...

woody53

You are reading it the same way that I am. Wondering the same and what should we do?

jeast

foose4

I already called and sent an email to our Assemblyman as this is way out of bounds for a youth event.

Crazy stuff in here.  It is definitely geared towards the Flowrestling events, etc.

It requires insurance on EACH contestant, licenses, bonds to be posted.  Way too much.

If you want a copy of what I sent my assemblyman PM me and I will get it to you.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

DocWrestling

The list of the bill's sponsors/signers are at top of bill, they are the ones to contact besides your local legislators.  The WWF should be made aware and they should probably take the lead to get an amendment to the bill that simply states that folkstyle wrestling, freestyle wrestling, and greco-roman wrestling shall not be declared as "unarmed combat sports" thus exempting them.

USA wrestling should also get involved because if this passes in this state it will certainly pop up in other states.  Heck this may even affect the WIAA.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Kodonnelllaw

Sorry, this is going to be a long one:

This is a poorly drafted piece of legislation that could potentially kill youth wrestling clubs and tourneys. The highlights, contained below, are

1.  There are fees. Lots of them. You must be bonded as a tourney.
2.  You need permission from State to have tourney. They could inspect you and charge you more fees.
3.  No more HS or college refs without them obtaining a license.
4.  All kids must have insurance and must be verified
5.  My favorite, if you had a bracket with an "excellent" kid and 3 "beginners" (due to weights and age), the ref is supposed to stop the match as the kids are "outclassed."

Text relatiing to these issues:

444.01 (1g) "Amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contest": Kids would meet the definition of amateur. "amateur" means a contestant who does not compete for a prize, in cash or otherwise, that has a value of more than $25.

444.01 (5) "Unarmed combat sports" includes wrestling...

444.015(2) This chapter does not apply to, or require any license or permit for, any of the following:
(a) Any karate contest, match, or exhibition in which all of the contestants are amateur participants.
(b) Any interscholastic or intercollegiate contest, match, or exhibition.
(c) An elementary or secondary school, college, or university karate or wrestling coach who receives compensation for teaching or coaching karate or wrestling only from the school, college, or university.

444.02 (1) The department shall have the sole direction, management, and control of, and jurisdiction over, all professional contests and all amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contests conducted within the state by any promoter or club. No club or promoter may conduct professional contests or amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contests within the state except under authority granted by the department and in accordance with this chapter and the rules of the department.

444.02 (3) No professional contest or amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contest may be conducted by any licensed club without a permit from the department. An application for a permit shall be accompanied by a nonrefundable $300 processing fee. Every permit shall be conditioned on payment by the promoter or club to the department, within 2 business days after the event for which the permit was issued, of the following fees:

444.03 Application for license; fee. No professional contest or amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contest may be conducted by any promoter or club except by license granted to it by the department. An application for a license shall be in writing, addressed to the department, and verified by the promoter or by an officer of the club. An application shall be accompanied by an annual fee of $500. The application must show that the promoter or club has entered into a valid agreement for the use of the building, amphitheater, or stadium in which contests are to be held.

444.035 Bond.

444.04 Promoter and club reports. 3Section 14. 444.06 of the statutes is amended to read:

444.06 Inspectors. 

444.095 (1) No individual may be a contestant in an amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contest unless the individual can provide evidence that he or she is covered by adequate health insurance.

444.095 (3) (a) Qualifications and fees for licensure of referees and judges for mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contests.

444.095 (3) (b) (intro.) Requirements for regular health examinations of mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contestants,

444.11 Licenses to matchmakers, referees, contestants, etc.

444.12 Referee to stop contest. The referee must shall stop a professional contest or amateur mixed martial arts fighting unarmed combat sports contest when either of the contestants shows a marked superiority or is apparently outclassed.

bfboy

This is the response that I got from my representative's assistant...

Just following up on your email regarding concerns you have with AB76.  It is my understanding that interscholastic events and their coaches are exempted from the rules set out under this bill.  Does that affect the parts that you mentioned or are they a separate competition still that would need additional protections?

ramjet

I really do not see thus as being directed towards youth or ameture wrestling the fact they specifically call out Mixed Martial Arts......it would be prudent however to voice your concerns to your representative.

Kodonnelllaw

Quote from: bfboy on March 11, 2015, 02:11:46 PM
This is the response that I got from my representative's assistant...

Just following up on your email regarding concerns you have with AB76.  It is my understanding that interscholastic events and their coaches are exempted from the rules set out under this bill.  Does that affect the parts that you mentioned or are they a separate competition still that would need additional protections?

Correct, "interscholastic events" are exempted. Wrestling tourneys are not "interscholastic." They have nothing to do with schools, other than the fact that most of them are taking place in a school gym. Kids are not representing Luther Elementary, they are representing Fox Valley Elite, Waukesha wrestling Club, Askren, Ringers, KWA, Higher Level, etc. None of those would be defined as "interscholastic."

foose4

Quote from: ramjet on March 11, 2015, 02:12:18 PM
I really do not see thus as being directed towards youth or ameture wrestling the fact they specifically call out Mixed Martial Arts......it would be prudent however to voice your concerns to your representative.

If you look it states these are rules for "Unarmed Combat Sports" which says includes WRESTLING....

Yes, school events are exempt (all interscholastic and intercollegiant are exempt) but do not see where any youth tournament is exempt. 

Just one line says you must have a $25,000 insurance policy on each participant, not for event, EACH PARTICIPANT

I know this is geared towards the stuff AWA and Flo are doing, they really need to do something to exempt youth tournaments.   THIS WILL KILL ALL YOUTH TOURNAMENTS if passed.   No one could do the red tape and it wouldn't be worth getting caught to do all the paperwork, etc. that comes with it.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

Dale Einerson

Silly...

...if you want to keep your youth tournament, you can keep your youth tournament.