Great Interview

Started by WiscFan, July 31, 2023, 11:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STFM1

Jon Reader is as good as they get. So much energy and not one ounce of negativity comes out of his mouth. If they could get the pipeline to Wisconsin High School kids figured out, it would make Wisconsin Wrestling that much more fun for everyone but as of now there is no chance to land even one

bigoil

One thing I haven't seen posted was the hiring of Garrett Model, one of Wisconsin's own, as the 4th coach.

Congratulations to Garrett, his grit was infectious.

dad 2 5

greta interview. Left me with a question of why no pipe line to the High School and Club he mentioned early in the interview?

hammer

Reader is such a great guy. Getting him into the kitchen has to be the main goal of the Badger program!

BadgerOne

Quote from: hammer on August 01, 2023, 09:33:34 PMReader is such a great guy. Getting him into the kitchen has to be the main goal of the Badger program!

Many top recruits have met Jon Reader but they didn't commit to Wisconsin, so that goal hasn't worked lately.  I'd suspect that most recruits care much more about the head coach and it sure seems like Bono who also has met lots of top recruits isn't able to lure top in-state kids.  Maybe, its Ben and AWA talking badly about Bono or maybe its guys that have left the program talking badly about him, or both, but Bono's message has fallen flat and Reader's energy and positivity isn't able to overcome that.  Reader seems to be implying "give it time" as we are at the "tip of the iceberg" with respect to Wisconsin high school kids, but the 2024 Wisconsin class was epic and UW whiffed and not sure how much time Bono will be given to turn in-state recruiting around.  I don't see anything that's changed to make me believe the next batch of Wisconsin high school studs are coming to Madison. 

PS: All these stories about Bono and Reader doing 100 mile "runs" might actually be counterproductive and might not be resonating with top end wrestlers as Bono and Reader sound more excited talking about doing 100 mile runs than they do talking about wrestling.  It seems that it hasn't helped with recruiting and might be more of a distraction with kids that are single mindedly focused on being elite wrestlers.  Think about it in elevator pitch terms, that you only have 5 minutes to grab a kid's attention and if they are left with these guys are into extreme runs, how does that translate in making me a national champ.  It doesn't and maybe they are worried that this might take away time and energy from their being able to be the best wrestling coaches that they can be.  Not saying its necessarily a bad thing, but they probably should keep more focus on wrestling.

Ray Williams

Badger one exactly right.All of it.

Bono's reputation continues to be the story and no amount of "energy" from his right hand man can fix it.Most especially when he continues to loose recuits and fails to have teams perform year after year.Who have they developed?I guess you can argue Barnett but thats a weak one.Hamiti?They appear to believe group suffering is a winning slogan to get top kids.Results are for losers we suffer big here at Wisconsin.

Looking at this next years team its going to be a rough one boys.The administration needs to make a change and that's not even getting into rumors of misconduct from Bono over this past year and the years before.

dad 2 5

Does Reader want his own show, program? Who are his guys if he did lead the program? would Ben stop hating on the W with Reader at the top of the program? I can't see Big Mac making a change but I just wonder because why make a change if, especially the last question is not answered right, helpful.

WiscFan

In response to losing recruits. I know first hand that Laird Root got a better offer from UNC that WI wouldn't match. And with Estrada, Iowa was always his first choice since he was little as he admitted in his interview. So neither of those flips were personal.

I disagree with BadgerOne about the 100 mile race. Reader and Bono are different breeds and their accomplishment of the 100 mile race just exemplifies that fact.

The problem with getting new recruits (especially WI recruits) is hugely a Ben Askren problem. Askren and Bono need to have a coming to Jesus discussion.

Askren is such a good coach and person that it continues to shock me how vindictive he has been with regards to single-handedly turning kids away from WI.

Ofc Reader wants his own show but he is loyal TO THE BONE. My guess is that he is waiting for Bono to retire before makes his move.

WiscFan

Ha OK I will concede with Ray that maybe group suffering isn't what you want to be known for!

Reader accentuates the positives and will always be a "half-full" guy. While YES it is better to be know for winning than suffering, Reader seems to focus on the process which - ultimately reduces performance anxiety and other mental blocks that impede athletes' performances.

smitty71

Quote from: WiscFan on August 02, 2023, 12:52:54 PMIn response to losing recruits. I know first hand that Laird Root got a better offer from UNC that WI wouldn't match. And with Estrada, Iowa was always his first choice since he was little as he admitted in his interview. So neither of those flips were personal.

I disagree with BadgerOne about the 100 mile race. Reader and Bono are different breeds and their accomplishment of the 100 mile race just exemplifies that fact.

The problem with getting new recruits (especially WI recruits) is hugely a Ben Askren problem. Askren and Bono need to have a coming to Jesus discussion.

Askren is such a good coach and person that it continues to shock me how vindictive he has been with regards to single-handedly turning kids away from WI.

Ofc Reader wants his own show but he is loyal TO THE BONE. My guess is that he is waiting for Bono to retire before makes his move.

I don't see that happening anytime soon...
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

hornbuckleb

It is interesting that both Reader and Brent Metcalf are both products of Davison, Michigan.  Brent does a good job within Michigan.  Of course Brent did lose a good one to Penn State.

Many kids select a school based on the assistant coach too, and transfer when an assistant moves on.

SP

Quote from: WiscFan on August 02, 2023, 12:52:54 PMIn response to losing recruits. I know first hand that Laird Root got a better offer from UNC that WI wouldn't match. And with Estrada, Iowa was always his first choice since he was little as he admitted in his interview. So neither of those flips were personal.

Wiscons8n kids not going to UW is not an Askren problem. It's a Bono problem. It is his job to foster relationships with all club coaches and high school coaches. Bono has performed poorly in those areas.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

hammer

Quote from: SP on August 06, 2023, 08:02:37 PM

Wiscons8n kids not going to UW is not an Askren problem. It's a Bono problem. It is his job to foster relationships with all club coaches and high school coaches. Bono has performed poorly in those areas.

Your are 100% right. I guess the elephant is out in the open! Bono needs to put his foot down and say he is running the state and that's the bottom line. You think Cael or brands let a club coach run his mouth about their program? I want the Badgers to do well and look at the up side but while I cheer, 1 and 7 last year and doesn't look much better this year, it is difficult to be excited for sure.

Ray Williams

Estrada had his commitment to WI up for months on his insta.I guess its just a big coincidence he and Root de committed at the same time.What about Grayson Clark?You have current Badgers waving kids away from the team because of major isssues in the room.I know some of the rest of you on here know that,but i guess screaming ASKERN every time we lose a recruit or have a terrible year is just easier to stomach.

We are allowed to have 4 paid coaches now and i see that most of the other big 10 teams have already done this.What about the Badgers?Why did Hillger leave?What about Lamont?Gomez?Nobody wants to stay and work for Bono.

I want the team to be successful,but denial is not helping and i do not understand the loyalty to losing coaches.