WI vs Minny RESULTS

Started by leg turk, February 07, 2016, 12:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cross-face

Quote from: imwi on February 07, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: cross-face on February 07, 2016, 05:22:29 PM
I know the coaches are down for not earning the victory in this one, but the Badgers look like a completely different team in the last two matches - fighting till the end, looking to score and figuring out ways to win (e.g. Andrew Crone!). In a season like this one, these matches tell a lot about the team. JJ has looked like a totally different wrestler these past two matches, Andrew Crone has pushed the pace to victory in three straight matches, RT is coming into form, Ryan Christensen continues to battle and came out on top this time for his efforts and Zeke is that ever so important anchor for the team (quietly dominant). These are the positives I take away from this tough loss.

I would also add that JJ deserved an escape plus a take down early on in his match, but was awarded only the takedown. I bring this up because 1) we were screaming it from the stands and 2) it would have earned him the major. The ref obviously saw it differently:). That being said, we would have lost on criteria given Pfarr's tech fall. It was an exciting match and we should be talking about this team in a different light now.    

I was convinced the ref had awarded the 1 then the 2 but apparently I was incorrect as no one agreed.

We thought the same. I kept looking over at the coaching staff, but they did not seem to think the ref had missed it. Must be the homer in me. I did bring it up with someone later and they seemed to think a review there would either not be allowed or useless since the ref did not think control had been lost.

vsmf2010

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 07, 2016, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: mnkstr on February 07, 2016, 04:57:41 PM
Short was coming off of a huge victory against Jason Tsirtsis a few days ago.  Great win for Crone this afternoon, congrats to him!  Brad Dolezal (3X State Champ from Marshfield, WI) was wrestling at 165, not Urbach. Brad didn't give up 6 points to the #2/3 ranked Jordan, which help Minnesota in the end. Good hard fought dual.   

what has happened to Tsirtsis, dude was a champ and now struggles to beat anyone in the top 5.

Jason has endured extraordinary personal tragedy. Hard to imagine that has not impacted his ability to wrestle at the highest level. For those who do not know. He lost his sister in a car accident in September and lost his best friend in October.  :(

GoodGod

Tsirtsis is a great kid and is dealing with more than most of us could handle, definitely one guy i'll be pullin for in March.

Recap from today:

25: Johnny looked better from neutral, sweet outside trip to a body lock in the 2nd. Waited a little too long to get that 1st TD in the 3rd but I was happy with the win.

33: RT looked good when he did anything, scored at will when he pulled the trigger. By Big 10's I believe he'll be a 100 percent and be a tough out for anybody.

41: Rowh did some good things from neutral but was outclassed. Tommy Thorn is the real deal and it showed today.

49: CRONE, inspiring is all I can say. Battle and push for 7 minutes and good things happen. We had our high school team there today and he showed a great example of wrestling a full match. Big Win

57: TJ, 7 2 after a period and we choose down in the 2nd? Didnt make sense to me and it showed at the end. Apparently none of our coaches knew who Brandon Kingsley is.

65: Zeke came through with bonus points when we needed, Dolezal had no intention of wrestling him so he did the best he could.

74: Terrible, don't know if Ricky is cuttin too much weight or what but he's not the same guy we had last year.

84: Credit for battling in OT but never should have been there. Only a freshman, upside there.

97: Veling didn't get pinned, he did his job.

285: Brock is solid but doesn't have enough to beat top tier guys.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 07, 2016, 09:44:37 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 07, 2016, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: mnkstr on February 07, 2016, 04:57:41 PM
Short was coming off of a huge victory against Jason Tsirtsis a few days ago.  Great win for Crone this afternoon, congrats to him!  Brad Dolezal (3X State Champ from Marshfield, WI) was wrestling at 165, not Urbach. Brad didn't give up 6 points to the #2/3 ranked Jordan, which help Minnesota in the end. Good hard fought dual.   

what has happened to Tsirtsis, dude was a champ and now struggles to beat anyone in the top 5.

Jason has endured extraordinary personal tragedy. Hard to imagine that has not impacted his ability to wrestle at the highest level. For those who do not know. He lost his sister in a car accident in September and lost his best friend in October.  :(

didn't realize that, major loss.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

billymurphy

I highly doubt Robertson cut weight because he could not beat Christensen out at 184.
The truth is that Christensen had planned to go 174 lbs until Robertson
cut down and forced Christensen up to 184.  The top 4 guys at 174 lbs guys in the Big Ten
graduated and going down to 174 lbs seemed like a good idea at the time, but
for whatever reason, it has turned out to be a horrible decision, just as it was for Lubeck to cut last year.

Ask Hammen or the coaching staff if you do not believe me.

lizard king

I went to the match yesterday and I have to say I was very happy with Wisconsin and the way they wrestled.  Given the fact that Minni isn't very good, still WI wrestled harder, seemed to be in better condition, had life on the bench, and in general just seemed to care more.  I know that it is all perception, but I kind of thought it would be the other way around.

I did get a kick out of the announcer when he kept saying "what time is it?  It's short time"  when Short was wrestling for Minnesota. 

billymurphy

The Badgers are starting to show some real fight.
Early in the season it was just a couple of guys.
Now, it is nearly everybody. Good to see.

littleguy301

Quote from: Goat Roper on February 08, 2016, 06:51:19 AM
Maybe Robertson has to cut weight because he can't beat Christensen?

I seriously doubt that but who knows!

I dont think weight is an issue. I think RR was having a rough time making 84. Meaning I believe he was under that normally so a cut to 74 shouldnt be a huge deal but once again what do I know.

While I am happy as heck that the Badgers were in this and could have won this dual.

I realize that MN is done but also they have some really good kids coming and some really good re-shirts. I wonder in 2 years if this dual will be close at all.

I do think next year if they wrestle it will be a win by Bucky because hopefully RT, Zeke and Medbury all are in the line up and another year of improvement from crone, RR and having Ritter in the line up will be a solid line up but in 2 years the Badgers are going to be losing some of those horses and will they make up the difference?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Micah

In HS he wrestled 195 and I assume he was managing his weight then, now he is wrestling 20 lbs less.

stbird

Crone appears to really have turned the corner.  Short just beat Tsirtsis prior to this match.  He's no joke!  The fact that Crone beat him in OT is huge!  Looks like we have a real, true to life, B1G 149 pounder!  Awesome job Crone!

Quote from: leg turk on February 07, 2016, 12:18:04 PM
Starting at 149

#15 Short-term MN
Crone-WI

Crone wins in O.T. 9-7!!!!!

WI leads 3-0

dad 2 5

Really impressed by Crone. I am a big RR fan. I have a strange theory but it is too weird to even say but bottom line is confidence is the key to much success in wrestling.

mkm13

Robertson and Ruschell are having rough years.  It is good to see Jimenez and Christensen with some B10 success.  Hopefully they can build on that.

Ruschell has been in the varsity lineup for along time, and not had the best results against big 10 level wrestlers.  I assume Lubeck and Scharenbrock can't beat him.  Hopefully we get more out of this weight, whoever is in the lineup.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: mkm13 on February 09, 2016, 06:32:52 AM
Robertson and Ruschell are having rough years.  It is good to see Jimenez and Christensen with some B10 success.  Hopefully they can build on that.

Ruschell has been in the varsity lineup for along time, and not had the best results against big 10 level wrestlers.  I assume Lubeck and Scharenbrock can't beat him.  Hopefully we get more out of this weight, whoever is in the lineup.

Looks like Crone will be 149 for the remainder of his career, wonder if Lubeck thought about bulking up to 157... I will assume Liegel can no longer make 157.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!