What could have been....

Started by Gutwrench, January 30, 2014, 11:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutwrench

I apologize in advance for this thread.  The intent isn't to dredge up the specifics of what happened a couple years ago.  However looking at the latest AWN rankings got me thinking about what could have been with this year's roster:

125 Taylor
133 Graff
141 Thielke
149 Ruschel/Lubeck
157 Jordan
165 Liegel??? (don't know if he could make 65)
174 Howe
184 Hein
197 Rutt
Hwt Medbery

Six currently ranked.  Three almost for sure AA, with five total a strong possibility.

Again, I apologize in advance for picking at this scab.....

Todd

Would Howe and Rutt been eligible this year if they hadn't transferred?  I thought they would have graduated last year.
"This page intentionally left blank".

buc65

Quote from: Todd on January 30, 2014, 11:55:26 AM
Would Howe and Rutt been eligible this year if they hadn't transferred?  I thought they would have graduated last year.

They both could have taken their redshirt seasons and been eligible this year. Hard to say for sure if Rutt would have taken a redshirt season. Howe most likely would have redshirted last year no matter where he was, since he was recovering from the torn ACL he suffered at the olympic trials.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

They both had an Olympic Redshirt followed by a Regular Redshirt.  
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Well, if you are going to get into pipe dreams then you might as well toss McCauley in there at 149. But given the 9.9 limit on scholarships I don't think you would have ever seen that lineup in Badger red unless....the Badger Wrestling Club was suddenly thrust into a much more financially solvent situation. The 9.9 limit on scholarships couldn't be spread thick enough to keep all of those studs happy - most of those guys could get full-ride money from almost any other school. The Badgers would need to be able to present those guys with alternative sources of supplemental income, e.g., guaranteed well-paid summer jobs as camp counselors, etc. That's how places like Iowa and MN get to stock pile talent (in addition to having first class program pedigrees). The Badger Wrestling Club would be the likely repository for that kind of slush fund money...if it could generate that kind of cash.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I am actually quite happy with "what is...."

5-1 in the Big Ten
4 Wrestlers Ranked Very High (Taylor, Graff, Jordan, Medbery)
Hein and Liegel are Solid
McCall Has Some Nice Wins
Thielke Just Got a Big Win
Lubeck and Ruschell Have Shown Potential
Cousins is Improving

Several Redshirts from "Wisconsin" High Schools Have Impressed - Liegel, Crone, Peissig
Robertson is the Real Deal, Horwath is Solid
The recruits coming are talented mat rats with good Greco and Freestyle Experience

I like where we are, where we can finish this year, and where we can be in the future !!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Todd

Quote from: buc65 on January 30, 2014, 12:15:04 PM

They both could have taken their redshirt seasons and been eligible this year. Hard to say for sure if Rutt would have taken a redshirt season. Howe most likely would have redshirted last year no matter where he was, since he was recovering from the torn ACL he suffered at the olympic trials.

That's right, thanks for the clarification. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

sadpanda

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 30, 2014, 01:29:59 PM
I am actually quite happy with "what is...."

5-1 in the Big Ten
4 Wrestlers Ranked Very High (Taylor, Graff, Jordan, Medbery)
Hein and Liegel are Solid
McCall Has Some Nice Wins
Thielke Just Got a Big Win
Lubeck and Ruschell Have Shown Potential
Cousins is Improving

Several Redshirts from "Wisconsin" High Schools Have Impressed - Liegel, Crone, Peissig

Robertson is the Real Deal, Horwath is Solid
The recruits coming are talented mat rats with good Greco and Freestyle Experience

I like where we are, where we can finish this year, and where we can be in the future !!

Uhh...YES!! Thanks for stating obvious!  ???Geez gut, I really don't understand the 'fantasy' thread because I believe the Reality is that the Badgers are doin just fine so far! Be Happy with what is, not hung-up on what might of been! ;D
no bat-dads please

Gutwrench

Not hung up per se, but when I saw Howe and Rutt's ranking I couldn't help but think about it.

Agreed with WWF's comments as well....I'm totally stoked about what UW has going on in the wrestling room.  The program is certainly on an up tick, and is looking like a sustainable top tier program with what's coming into the room recruiting wise.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, and attending the B1G conference tournament.