Big Ten Results

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, March 07, 2020, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: onwisconsin on March 07, 2020, 07:31:57 PM
How will they seed 133 now?  Is it as simple as their places this weekend?
1.Whoever wins Big Tens 2. Chaz Tucker 3/4 Gross or other Big Finalist  5.Desanto

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Eric Barnett just pinned Brandon Cray in the 9th Place Bracket.

He has Patrick McKee next. 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

crossface21

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 07, 2020, 08:52:26 PM
My overarching feeling coming off today is that we have a bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors that are worn out and ready to be done wrestling.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just a bad day. But that's what it felt like.

A couple of us were having the same discussion. Some of the guys look burnt out. They look flat, and have so for about the last 4-6 weeks. One of the the guys said "I truly believe the whole team is breaking down physically and mentally. Bono is trying to install a Iowa type of mentality and work ethic but these are Davis guys. Not Iowa's type of grinder." Obviously the irony is that Davis was an Iowa guy. 

crossface21

UW did not have a great day. Even if Wick was wrestling they'd only be sitting in about 7th. With all that said: Maryland went 0-25 today. 0-25. Let that sink in. How bad is that??? MSU had some really lean years. UW even had a year that they only scored like 9 points. It could be waaaaaaay worse.

wrastle63

Quote from: crossface21 on March 07, 2020, 09:04:10 PM
Quote from: Luke Louison on March 07, 2020, 08:52:26 PM
My overarching feeling coming off today is that we have a bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors that are worn out and ready to be done wrestling.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just a bad day. But that's what it felt like.

A couple of us were having the same discussion. Some of the guys look burnt out. They look flat, and have so for about the last 4-6 weeks. One of the the guys said "I truly believe the whole team is breaking down physically and mentally. Bono is trying to install a Iowa type of mentality and work ethic but these are Davis guys. Not Iowa's type of grinder." Obviously the irony is that Davis was an Iowa guy.
We are in the middle of a coaching change and have transfers from other programs. Next year will be a much different team without Gross, Moran, Martin, Sebastian, and Watkins. We lose some of our top level talent, but those spots will be filled by Bono's recruits. It might not be as good of a team next year, but I think there will be more drive with fresh guys looking to make a name for themselves.

The Legend

Barry's guys?   Are you kidding me?  125 Not Barry's Guy...133 Not Barry's Guy  141 Not Barry's Guy.   184 Not Barry's Guy.   197 Not Barry's Guy

If you going to give Bono and staff the benefits of having Barry's guys at 165 and 285 he gets credit for 174 Only been coached by Bono and Co.  157 2/3 years with Bono. Then Martin @149

Also late add here.   Do you think Bono and staff sit back and say yea we are not winning because these are not our guys?   I highly doubt that!

crossface21

Quote from: The Legend on March 07, 2020, 09:17:07 PM
Barry's guys?   Are you kidding me?  125 Not Barry's Guy...133 Not Barry's Guy  141 Not Barry's Guy.   184 Not Barry's Guy.   197 Not Barry's Guy

If you going to give Bono and staff the benefits of having Barry's guys at 165 and 285 he gets credit for 174 Only been coached by Bono and Co.  157 2/3 years with Bono. Then Martin @149

It's a knee jerk reaction. A couple guys today didn't perform early on. They wrestled back and did well. I think we'd just like more consistency and to beat a guy that they aren't suppose to beat. With that said, In Bono We Trust. In a few years, I don't think there will be the inconsistency in the lineup that there is right now.

GoodGod

Off topic, but i sat by all of our coaches at individual state last weekend. If those 3 guys don't have it figured out i don't know who ever will. Give it time, all i can say.

Handles II

Here's to hoping for Gross and Hilger to both place 3rd. I'm doubting it.  Gross hands out opportunities for his opponents to score on him, and it sometimes happens.
Hilger could beat Cass but he's going to need to be getting better angles and way more aggressive than he normally does. He will have to force at least one stalling point.
If Wick was healthy and a top 4 finisher, we would bump up about two or three spots as a team, right about where they should be.
If Gross ends up 4th to a RYB 1st, and that's the seed at Nationals, I don't think he makes the finals.
I hope im wrong.

jeast

Quote from: crossface21 on March 07, 2020, 09:10:08 PM
UW did not have a great day. Even if Wick was wrestling they'd only be sitting in about 7th. With all that said: Maryland went 0-25 today. 0-25. Let that sink in. How bad is that??? MSU had some really lean years. UW even had a year that they only scored like 9 points. It could be waaaaaaay worse.

LOL!!! Maryland is soooo bad, they had to wear JV uniforms today!!!  ;D
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

MNbadger

Zing!!!!
Quote from: jeast on March 08, 2020, 08:56:17 AM
Quote from: crossface21 on March 07, 2020, 09:10:08 PM

LOL!!! Maryland is soooo bad, they had to wear JV uniforms today!!!  ;D
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

jeast

I think Max M may have to wear the jv uniform the rest of today.   ;)
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

wrestlemania

"A couple of us were having the same discussion. Some of the guys look burnt out. They look flat, and have so for about the last 4-6 weeks. One of the the guys said "I truly believe the whole team is breaking down physically and mentally. Bono is trying to install a Iowa type of mentality and work ethic but these are Davis guys. Not Iowa's type of grinder." Obviously the irony is that Davis was an Iowa guy."

We should not be talking about "Barry guys" or "Bono guys" because if the insinuation is that "Barry's guys" are soft and unable to take this "Iowa-like mentality" please explain why Connor Brown, Beau Breske aren't out there or Watkins bust of a season or Gross falling short of the finals or other younger wrestlers not developing throughout the season.

I know talk about "culture" is a cliche but look at from this point of view. UW's men's basketball team. They play in the toughest conference in the country and find a way to go from 13-11 and 6-6 to B1G champions. They know how to fight. They don't let adversity stand in their way. Likewise, the women's hockey team. Champions. They know how to win. They know what it takes to win. It's baked into the team and every player on that team from the moment they walk in the door when they're freshman.

UW wrestling does not have that kind of mentality. Some individuals have had it over the years but not as a collective whole and not in the same manner as Iowa for so many years or developed like Penn State or Ohio State or even Minnesota. I would hope someone like Gross who has won at the top levels of college wrestling can help in developing that mentality for this team because it would be an awful waste of his time here if it never filtered down.

If Bono is trying to instill "a Iowa type of mentality and work ethic" (and who wouldn't no matter what the team) then it's going to come through his recruiting efforts in finding not just good wrestlers but those willing to pay the price to be champions and somehow instilling it into the athletes he has so they do give their absolute best so they are at their peak by the time they're seniors, not looking for the exits. So far the results on paper have been disappointing, you can't sugarcoat it. But there's time to turn it around, both today and in the NCAA meet and for the next few seasons as those recruits begin to fill in spots in the line-up. That's where it has to come from.

factfinder

A Question bit off topic.
Who was the last Wisconsin native to win the Big 10?  Was it Trevor Brandvold in 2010?

BennyJammin

Let's give a lot of credit to th BTN broadcast.  That was absolutely to notch. Loved the aspect of Dan leading into the commercials.