Season

Started by wrastle63, September 25, 2018, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: Luke Louison on October 05, 2018, 12:59:52 PM
Quote from: stbird on October 05, 2018, 12:46:21 PM

Wick and Wick are locks and then another one from the other 8, maybe 2. 

Wow. You sure are liberal "locker". Zander wasn't a top 8 ranked wrestler last year and is now coming off labrum surgery.

He's a great candidate to make a leap (new coaching/talented wrestling partner to push him) and make the podium. I'm hoping for it, and I'm cautiously optimistic. But a lock?

Is he even ranked in the Top 20 right now at 157?
Agreed he is FAR from a lock to AA. I think he could make the jump, but like Luke said he was hurt and wasn't even ranked top 10 at any point last year so what makes it a lock?

stbird

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 05, 2018, 02:36:52 PM

Wow. You sure are liberal "locker". Zander wasn't a top 8 ranked wrestler last year and is now coming off labrum surgery.

He's a great candidate to make a leap (new coaching/talented wrestling partner to push him) and make the podium. I'm hoping for it, and I'm cautiously optimistic. But a lock?

Agreed he is FAR from a lock to AA. I think he could make the jump, but like Luke said he was hurt and wasn't even ranked top 10 at any point last year so what makes it a lock?

I have great confidence in the Wick brothers! 

TomM

Quote from: stbird on October 09, 2018, 02:15:29 PM

There is a reason they wrestle the matches. 8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

badgerjohn

Quote from: TomM on October 09, 2018, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: stbird on October 09, 2018, 02:15:29 PM

There is a reason they wrestle the matches. 8)

Where was Evan ranked at the beginning of last season?  Who on here expected Evan to finish 3rd at NCAA's after he got spanked at Michigan State Open to start off last year?  Jus askin   ;D
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

wrastle63

I am not saying he can't AA. I think he has a shot just like every guy, but coming off an injury and moving up a weight there a lot of unknowns. To say he is a lock to AA is foolish. I am as optimistic as they come, but his best win was over a guy just inside the top 30 according to wrestlstat and that was Jerret Degan.

dad 2 5

From intermat
1    Jason Nolf    Penn State    Junior    Big Ten
2    Hayden Hidlay    North Carolina State    Freshman    ACC
3    Tyler Berger    Nebraska    Junior    Big Ten
4    Michael Kemerer    Iowa    Sophomore    Big Ten
5    Alec Pantaleo    Michigan    Junior    Big Ten
6    Micah Jordan    Ohio State    Junior    Big Ten
7    Josh Shields    Arizona State    Sophomore    Pac-12
8    Luke Zilverberg    South Dakota State    Senior    Big 12

Pretty tough top 8 to break into. Let's see how ZW does

T.Vieau

Kemerer is no longer at 157. If I remember correctly I think he is jumping up to 174 this year.

Sandimcdonough

Remember, Matt McD was not even ranked when he began his freshman year and brought home the prize!  Anything is possible if you work hard enough and want it bad enough!

Harris

Quote from: Sandimcdonough on October 10, 2018, 10:45:27 PM
Remember, Matt McD was not even ranked when he began his freshman year and brought home the prize!  Anything is possible if you work hard enough and want it bad enough!

Well said!  Mix the hard work and desire with great coaches and some natural talent and anything is possible.

wrastle63

Quote from: Luke Louison on October 11, 2018, 08:13:07 AM
Just to give a play-by-play of this ridiculous discussion:

GUY 1 - "Zander Wick is a lock to be an All-American this year."

GUYS 2 & 3 - "Zander Wick isn't a lock to be an All-American. It certainly could happen, but it's in no way a given."

GUYS 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... - "Here's a thousand examples of random and unpredictable things happening in wrestling to back up GUY 1 saying Zander Wick is a lock to be an All-American."

Good talk, guys.

LOL exactly. Everyone wants him to be an AA and thinks he has a chance to be an AA. He IS NOT a lock to AA.

stbird

I think most of those guys are moving up.  Flo has Zander ranked #15 and he hasn't wrestled in a year.  That's probably a good spot for him to start.  It's my opinion, you don't have to like it. 

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 10, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
From intermat

stbird

Quote from: Sandimcdonough on October 10, 2018, 10:45:27 PM

Right on!

wrastle63

Quote from: stbird on October 11, 2018, 11:05:39 AM
I think most of those guys are moving up.  Flo has Zander ranked #15 and he hasn't wrestled in a year.  That's probably a good spot for him to start.  It's my opinion, you don't have to like it. 

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 10, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
From intermat

Not correct. The only one is Kemerer. Micah Jordan might be moving down, but then it would be Keshawn Hayes who is also very good.

billymurphy

Minnesota should be improved this year enough where the Badgers will not be able to beat them.
I am looking forward to seeing if their true freshman heavyweight is a title contender.

dad 2 5

Quote from: billymurphy on October 11, 2018, 06:01:52 PM
Minnesota should be improved this year enough where the Badgers will not be able to beat them.
I am looking forward to seeing if their true freshman heavyweight is a title contender.

From what I saw of him at Cheesehead and couple other times he will be a great one