Come On Wisconsin

Started by Barou, October 10, 2017, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: shakerag on October 12, 2017, 11:04:44 AM
It's probably not good that UW only grabbed two of seven D1 kids that have committed so far from Wisconsin.
In my opinion they got the 2 best of the 7. I think Mocco and Joles would be only ones that I would have wished they would have gotten.

billymurphy

I think Coach Brandvold follows the top Wisconsin high school wrestlers closely and knows which ones
Wisconsin should go after.   If there was any of the coaches that are currently at Wisconsin that did not
know that Dieringer was a total stud that had NCAA title written all over him then that coach should take
up another occupation.   

lizard king

I wouldn't worry a lot about the WI kids.  Get the best kids you can at the weights you need.  I would then talk/recruit all of the ranked WI kids and let them know you would like them at WI, but first get the best kids at the weights you need.

This may seem like a no brainer but I do know in the past they didn't even bother talking to, or sending a letter to, WI kids that were ranked? Some of those kids may go with out any money?

Barou

Quote from: coconut joe on October 12, 2017, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on October 12, 2017, 11:13:28 AM
I think Coach Brandvold follows the top Wisconsin high school wrestlers closely and knows which ones
Wisconsin should go after.   If there was any of the coaches that are currently at Wisconsin that did not
know that Dieringer was a total stud that had NCAA title written all over him then that coach should take
up another occupation.   

How could anyone have known Dieringer was going to be a total stud?!  It's not like these coaches have a treasure map that leads them to the booty.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm but if it's not, a couple clues would be 1.) Fargo success and beating Dylan Ness and 2.) John Smith going to his house for a recruiting visit.  BD should have a personal policy that if there is any interest in a WI kid that draws the likes of Smith, Sanderson, Brands......etc, then he needs to recruit them.
JHI Mafia

sudden_victory

USC had a quarterback, John David Booty, a few years ago.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

lizard king

Exactly, that is why I say don't worry too much about where they are from, get the best kids.  Talk to the WI kids though, with good coaching those kids may end up AA, and they may go to WI if someone at least talks to them. (With out even money)

Barou

Quote from: coconut joe on October 12, 2017, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: Barou on October 12, 2017, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: coconut joe on October 12, 2017, 11:52:01 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on October 12, 2017, 11:13:28 AM
up another occupation.   

How could anyone have known Dieringer was going to be a total stud?!  It's not like these coaches have a treasure map that leads them to the booty.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm but if it's not, a couple clues would be 1.) Fargo success and beating Dylan Ness and 2.) John Smith going to his house for a recruiting visit.  BD should have a personal policy that if there is any interest in a WI kid that draws the likes of Smith, Sanderson, Brands......etc, then he needs to recruit them.

Yes, that was sarcasm. I figured between all of the clues that were actually there and the booty reference it would have been clear.  Sorry  :-[

I figured it was.  Wanted to comment for anyone not sensing it.  Thanks Joe.
JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 13, 2017, 06:21:43 AM
Quote from: lizard king on October 12, 2017, 12:17:56 PM
I wouldn't worry a lot about the WI kids.  Get the best kids you can at the weights you need.  I would then talk/recruit all of the ranked WI kids and let them know you would like them at WI, but first get the best kids at the weights you need.

This may seem like a no brainer but I do know in the past they didn't even bother talking to, or sending a letter to, WI kids that were ranked? Some of those kids may go with out any money?

Unfortunately there are not very many D1 starters that the WI high school system creates, I think we have 6 or 7 starters in all of D1 the past few years. In BD defense its hard to have a winning college program when your in state High School system isn't creating D1 wrestlers. Other then Alex D. Who have the Badgers really missed out on in the past 4-5 years??

There is a 12 year old kid in Louisiana by the name on "Conner Booty" that went 10-16 and took 4th at youth state that the Badgers might want to keep an eye on.

Some might say that since there are not many D1 caliber wrestlers coming out of WI that it might make recruiting a little easier in identifying top level talent.  The list of WI national champions and AA's during BD's tenure has been noted many times.  He has missed on a ton.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 13, 2017, 08:05:24 AM
Quote from: lizard king on October 13, 2017, 07:37:41 AM
Exactly, that is why I say don't worry too much about where they are from, get the best kids.  Talk to the WI kids though, with good coaching those kids may end up AA, and they may go to WI if someone at least talks to them. (With out even money)

So with a partial scholarship and expensive out of state tuition, Dated facility's, a Dated Coach, an under funded RTC, and a weak High School program and a recently divorced relationship with Paris Grahm I am not holding my breath on seeing any blue chip's for a while.
Clearly time for an overhaul!!!
You mean like the Wicks? Or Hilger?

wrastle63

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 13, 2017, 08:34:11 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on October 13, 2017, 08:11:15 AM
Quote from: getyourpoints on October 13, 2017, 08:05:24 AM
Quote from: lizard king on October 13, 2017, 07:37:41 AM

So with a partial scholarship and expensive out of state tuition, Dated facility's, a Dated Coach, an under funded RTC, and a weak High School program and a recently divorced relationship with Paris Grahm I am not holding my breath on seeing any blue chip's for a while.
Clearly time for an overhaul!!!
You mean like the Wicks? Or Hilger?

Your right the Wicks were a great pick up for sure ranked 25 & 26 on the big board in 2016, and I hope they have a great season. I think a Big 10 school should be able to get more then 2 kids ranked in the top 100 though. I am optamistic about Dow and Schoenherr next year, I could see both of them cracking the line up at some point. How ever the handfull of names we mentioned are not enough to get us to the top 6 of the big ten.
Hilger was 21 as well!

Barou

Quote from: sk123471 on October 13, 2017, 09:41:21 AM
Forums are a great place to post opinions.  I get that.  But really, it's the same handful of people that have the SAME negative opinion on pretty much everything.  State high school teams, WIAA, WWF, UW, BRTC, BD....... some of you even have a special talent to predict how these high school kids will do in college and are ok posting it (amazing superpowers).

If you read this and are one of those people that post over and over and over bashing both the paid and unpaid (volunteers) - flatter us - post WHAT YOU DO TO HELP IMPROVE WISCONSIN WRESTLING as a whole.  Heck - post your resume / credentials, let us be the judge to see if you are doing your part.

Were you one heck of a wrestler.....where did you wrestle in college....what was your record.....did you reach AA?
Do you have a kid that wrestles now.....how many times did he win state....reach AA.....rankings?  (I bet you care about those!)
Better yet, maybe you are a parent of a multiple time YOUTH state champ....(that for sure would make you super knowledgeable!)
Are you a coach now......how many team / individual titles have you coached your team to......any nationally ranked wrestlers you can take credit for......

CMON people, look in the mirror.  Are you really that much better than the people putting forth effort?  Some of you come up with a million reasons why you think WI is failing.  I come up with ONE REASON - people complain too much and don't volunteer enough.

People are so quick to judge others.  Try something new for the next 4 months - try encouraging and supporting the WI programs and the WI kids that give their all.

There is nowhere to post a resume.  There isn't a HC vacancy.  If there was, I'm not qualified but I am qualified in posting job announcements, recruiting top candidates, screening, etc....

I'd start with this guy (**link taken from the mis. college topic section of this forum)

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2017/10/4/how-brian-smith-made-mizzou-wrestling-local-market/
JHI Mafia

lizard king

Forums are a great place to post opinions.  I get that.  But really, it's the same handful of people that have the SAME negative opinion on pretty much everything.  State high school teams, WIAA, WWF, UW, BRTC, BD....... some of you even have a special talent to predict how these high school kids will do in college and are ok posting it (amazing superpowers).

If you read this and are one of those people that post over and over and over bashing both the paid and unpaid (volunteers) - flatter us - post WHAT YOU DO TO HELP IMPROVE WISCONSIN WRESTLING as a whole.  Heck - post your resume / credentials, let us be the judge to see if you are doing your part.

Were you one heck of a wrestler.....where did you wrestle in college....what was your record.....did you reach AA?
Do you have a kid that wrestles now.....how many times did he win state....reach AA.....rankings?  (I bet you care about those!)
Better yet, maybe you are a parent of a multiple time YOUTH state champ....(that for sure would make you super knowledgeable!)
Are you a coach now......how many team / individual titles have you coached your team to......any nationally ranked wrestlers you can take credit for......

CMON people, look in the mirror.  Are you really that much better than the people putting forth effort?  Some of you come up with a million reasons why you think WI is failing.  I come up with ONE REASON - people complain too much and don't volunteer enough.

People are so quick to judge others.  Try something new for the next 4 months - try encouraging and supporting the WI programs and the WI kids that give their all.

Wow, I think you might worry too much about anyone actually caring about what we post?  I think it is mostly people here who want to talk about wresting, probably are some of the bigger supporters, (or at least they give a darn, unlike most), and maybe don't have anyone around that cares or knows anything about WI wrestling at the college level.  Many probably have a connection even.  Don't get upset, take this forum for what it is, a conversation about wrestling, I think it is suppose to be fun?

bigG

Quote from: Barou on October 13, 2017, 10:03:32 AM

There is nowhere to post a resume.  There isn't a HC vacancy.  If there was, I'm not qualified but I am qualified in posting job announcements, recruiting top candidates, screening, etc....

I'd start with this guy (**link taken from the mis. college topic section of this forum)

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2017/10/4/how-brian-smith-made-mizzou-wrestling-local-market/

I'd start with him, too. I doubt he'd leave where he is, though. He has done wonders for some WI HS wrestlers.

I don't think lack of volunteers is an issue in the WI wrestling world. I think lack of any interest in the real world in WI is the issue. How do we make someone in WI care about wrestling. People on this forum are wrestling fans, but average Badger Joe would much rather watch Badger hoops and/or Badger Football. Watching wrestling for them is like people of this forum watching Rowing; interesting for a few minutes, then click.

Though I'm retired from wrestling now, I've put some hours in as have many of the folks who post on here, SK. Might want to re-evaluate your audience. Many of the posters on here are the ones putting in major hours for no $.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.