Money; who's got it?

Started by coconut joe, July 31, 2017, 06:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

We got it like that at Bay too. Amateurs.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

npope

Thanks for the info, Coco. While the wide margin of disparity might seem a bit shocking at first blush, I think we all knew something like this must have been percolating behind the scenes - the top programs have more money to work with and money makes all things possible.

While NCAA scholarship rules try to level the playing field, e.g. 9.9 scholarships at DI programs, something else had to be going on at the very best programs that would entice multiple top level athletes to come to the same school and compete for a single slot. The scholarship limit was supposed to help spread the talent around - but that often simply wasn't happening. A couple of years back, the then-president of the UW wrestling club told me openly that money to the club (or lack there-of) was the differentiating factor in the success of the UW's program.

Money (i.e. a benefactor) makes it all happen in today's collegiate sports world.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

leg turk

$25,000 for the Badger WC is a little behind.

bigG

It's just starting up. 'Nother year, $25million!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

aarons23

My question is what is the plan to close the gap?  I'm not saying we are expecting to be in top 3...but what are the goals and what is the Plan?  This is a question for Tyler Turner.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

TylerBRTC

Quote from: aarons23 on August 01, 2017, 08:17:53 AM
My question is what is the plan to close the gap?  I'm not saying we are expecting to be in top 3...but what are the goals and what is the Plan?  This is a question for Tyler Turner.

I too want to thank CoconutJoe for posting this article. It is a good reminder of what is happening around the college/post-college wrestling world. When I look at those #s and the list I am reminded that there is a correlation between the money coming in for the RTC (I will use RTC the rest of the time and when I say RTC I am including clubs) and how well a college team does. That is one of the glaring points as I look at it. There is more I want to say about this but I will leave it there and maybe come back to it at a later post.

Another one is, and this is an encouragement to me, there is a lot of money out there that can be released at any moment to do some damage. It's also encouraging to see the opportunity more and more guys are having to pursue world level success. And also some of the great partnerships and friendships some of the RTC's have.

So to answer aarons23's question above: As you all have hopefully read I desire to be a director that is open with the goals and plans and where the money is going... so here is the plan for the next years.

2017-2018 cycle - 3 wrestlers - 150k budget 
2018-2019 cycle - 6 wrestlers and a coach - 350k budget
2019-2020 cycle - 8 wrestlers and a coach - 500k budget
2020-2021 cycle - 8 wrestlers and a coach - 500k budget

You will see right there two main things will be needed:1. wrestlers 2. money

Let me first touch on wrestlers: We need to continue to keep the best UW wrestlers around if they want to keep competing AND buy into the vision... which I would say the guys we have around do.
Second is we need to do a good job of recruiting guys away from their schools with a vision and purpose that is different then everyone else. Something we are uniquely known for, an identity for the BRTC (you've heard me talk about that before). We are already actively recruiting guys for the 2018-2019 cycle and will be using my connections with Athletes in Action staff around the country to pin point guys that would fit what we're trying to do. Great wrestlers and great men. We have some fun things planned to try to get guys here starting even next month. In fact I am sitting in my office and have a list of 14 guys and 3 coaches we will be pursuing for next year. Who knows what will happen with it but we are going for it!

Second is money: How do we build off the foundation of the past years? I am so thankful we have something to build off. 
We really are thinking about this in 4 ways:
1. Large events - This would be those events that raise over 10k at this point and we have two of them. One is this Thursday... the Steak Fry https://www.badgerrtc.org/steak-fry The other was (and is 2018) the Saturday before Memorial Day. We need to continue to build those up to making great connections together and money for the BRTC.
2. Small donations through monthly giving - this will continue to be the push while I am directing this thing. I grew up on a farm. I work for a non-profit and have a missionary salary. We are content but by no means killing it. I know most people can't give large donations but I know most can give small donations. I think of the almost 900 people on our email list. If 300 of those people gave an average of 50 a month we would be bringing in 15k a month or 180k a year. When the army is released damage happens. Serious question, why do you think we don't have 300 people giving monthly, what stops them?
3. Smaller events to build excitement, trust, and relationships - these are clinics and appearances or dinners and individual things and the waunakee kids tournament. Nothing big but really important to the vision and relationships.   
4. Large donations - This is where we can use your help. 10k a year and more for most people is a large donation... that's what we're going for. We have some connections and are working towards others. Our base is small right now but we are continuing to grow it with people who can give this. We even have some large donations that have come in.  Would you be willing to connect us to anyone who can move this forward through large donations. I think of a Penn State and wonder who do we know who could give 5 million to endow this thing and put us in a place where we can reach our budget off of the interest... do you know that person?

Send me an email tyler@badgerrtc.org if you want to have more conversation or have some thoughts/people. Or better yet, show up at the steak fry and talk to me in person. I like that way more... and I think you will too.   

Here is my ideal way to raise the money for the 2018-2019 cycle:
1. 60k large events
2. 150k monthly giving - 150 people averaging $85 a month.
3. 20k small events
4. 160 large donations - 16 people giving an average of 10k each.

I hope that helps. I know that trust is a huge factor in things and I am working to continue to build the trust and grow the BRTC. There are some fun times ahead! 

I think I could analyze this data all day and come to some pretty good conclusions. I want to ask you all (and we need your honesty) why isn't the BRTC in the top 3 of this list? Why do you think? What stops you from giving AND connecting us to people who desire WI to be a better wrestling state and have World Team Members training in the only D1 school in the state by giving to the BRTC?   

aarons23

Very good response Tyler....thank you.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

GradeTough

Thanks for that comprehensive outline. It is encouraging for sure.

jjgris

I have never bashed Badger wrestling before but this is to much...
The idea of giving money to a program run by Barry Davis and expecting positive results is insane.
Donate to your local wrestling club.
You are all fools if you think the results follow the money....
Rob Koll didn't go that route.
Cael didn't go that route. He brought the money
JRob built MIN without
Tom Brands and John Smith struggle and haven't got it done recently with money and prestige
look at college wrestling today
We all know Iowa St. is up and coming
We all know NC st. will be there
We all know Cornell is for real
We have a pretty good idea that Nebraska is for real
Arizona St?
It is the coach.......
Just stop lying to yourselves

lizard king

it's possible you are both correct.....

TylerBRTC

Quote from: jjgris on September 08, 2017, 09:49:16 PM
The idea of giving money to a program run by Barry Davis and expecting positive results is insane.
JRob built MIN without
Tom Brands and John Smith struggle and haven't got it done recently with money and prestige
Arizona St?
It is the coach.......

@jjgris I first wanted to say thanks for your honesty and getting this out there. I hope you take the time to respond to my direct message to you. That would be great and much appreciated because I really do want to know where you are coming from and hear your thought because I know you are not the only one to think these things.

I also wanted to make a public post for multiple reasons and I will do my best to keep this short as my last few posts have been long one. If you want my to go longer I sure will, just let me know ;)

First, I want to clear up a couple things as best as I can... Barry is NOT running the Badger RTC. I hope that sinks in. He has too many skills not to be involved but he is not the main person. When you give to the BRTC you are NOT giving to the program you are giving to a separate non-profit that works with the WI team but is not affiliated with the team. When you give to the BRTC you are not giving anything to Barry Davis.  If you want to give to the program (or Barry) talk to the UW athletic department. If you want to give to the BRTC, which will bring in post collegiate wrestlers to train in Madison, sign on up to the Badger 100.   

Second, DONATE to your local club. Please do that. But why does it have to be only that? Why not both local and national? There is a benefit to both.

Third, looking at your list of teams, they are all up and coming because of their RTC's... which means money coming in. There is a correlation. They are connected and I think it would be foolish to think that RTC's don't matter and that university teams don't improve because of RTC's grows and gets better.

Finally, I think you make a great point, that people matter. And I would take it a step further and say, the right people matter. That is why we have a new strategy with the BRTC... the right people matter. Barry is not the right person to run the BRTC... that is why he is not running it. When you get the right people on the ship it goes. We are getting the right people on board to move this thing. We need your help because we can't do it alone and with the people that have always done it... we need to grow our base and need people to jump on board... if we keep the same people and not grow we will get the same results. Don't get scared because of how it's always been... things are changing, be a part of the change.   

Ghetto

I like this dude. Straight shooting. No nonsense.

Next paycheck I'm sending money that way.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: TylerBRTC on September 11, 2017, 03:24:07 PM
JRob built MIN without
Arizona St?
It is the coach.......

@jjgris I first wanted to say thanks for your honesty and getting this out there. I hope you take the time to respond to my direct message to you. That would be great and much appreciated because I really do want to know where you are coming from and hear your thought because I know you are not the only one to think these things.

I also wanted to make a public post for multiple reasons and I will do my best to keep this short as my last few posts have been long one. If you want my to go longer I sure will, just let me know ;)

First, I want to clear up a couple things as best as I can... Barry is NOT running the Badger RTC. I hope that sinks in. He has too many skills not to be involved but he is not the main person. When you give to the BRTC you are NOT giving to the program you are giving to a separate non-profit that works with the WI team but is not affiliated with the team. When you give to the BRTC you are not giving anything to Barry Davis.  If you want to give to the program (or Barry) talk to the UW athletic department. If you want to give to the BRTC, which will bring in post collegiate wrestlers to train in Madison, sign on up to the Badger 100.   

Second, DONATE to your local club. Please do that. But why does it have to be only that? Why not both local and national? There is a benefit to both.

Third, looking at your list of teams, they are all up and coming because of their RTC's... which means money coming in. There is a correlation. They are connected and I think it would be foolish to think that RTC's don't matter and that university teams don't improve because of RTC's grows and gets better.

Finally, I think you make a great point, that people matter. And I would take it a step further and say, the right people matter. That is why we have a new strategy with the BRTC... the right people matter. Barry is not the right person to run the BRTC... that is why he is not running it. When you get the right people on the ship it goes. We are getting the right people on board to move this thing. We need your help because we can't do it alone and with the people that have always done it... we need to grow our base and need people to jump on board... if we keep the same people and not grow we will get the same results. Don't get scared because of how it's always been... things are changing, be a part of the change.   
Great post!

Barou

Quote from: Jap Whizzer on September 11, 2017, 01:40:38 PM

It is the coach.......

What do we think the #1 thing is a coach can do for a program? I can make a very compelling case for that thing being recruit. Quality in = Quality Out, with very few exceptions. If "money" brings in better wrestlers, the team will get better. Period.

Not that Cael is a great example, as he is once-in-a-generation in nearly every way, but if he could build a program regardless of resources, don't you think he would have done it at his alma mater, where he was the head coach? Instead, he went somewhere with more money and a more fertile recruiting base, and lo-and-behold, we have Penn State in it's current incarnation.

Money matters.

Barry's recruiting woes had nothing to do with money.  I do agree, however, that there is a correlation in general.  He simply got out recruited, didn't recruit, lied about a recruit, or incorrectly evaluated a recruit when it came down to the Hodge winners and national champions from WI during his tenure - Hartung, Konrad, B Askren, M Askren, and Dieringer.  3 Hodges and 10 national titles out of that group alone and that's not listing the AA's.
JHI Mafia