Wisconsin wrestling challenge

Started by EIUwrestler1, January 11, 2015, 07:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EIUwrestler1

I want to thank Homestead for hosting the Challenge this weekend, we all know how hard it is to have 270 kids show up at at your gym on a Saturday.  Our kids wrestled a bunch of matches and were excited to be there. 

Thank you and your program for sacrificing your weekend Coach Millard.

Ghetto

+1

Not knowing how many kids will actually show up is a nightmare. The kids loved it.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Nolston

I thought that Homestead did a great job running the tournament!  I was surprised to see the number of varsity wrestlers that participated.  I thought that it was suppose to be a JV regionals to advance to JV State.  If you wrestle Varsity doesn't that make you a Varsity wrestler?

Ghetto

We have a kid who wrestles varsity in duals to fill weights but if we can't enter two kids at one weight cannot wrestle. That to me signifies that they aren't varsity.

imnofish

Makes sense to me, Ghetto.  If the kid is not your #1 at that weight, he's not varsity IMO. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

aarons23

There needs to be a hard rule on this.  If it's a JV tournament only jv's should wrestle.  If your wrestling your kid on your dual team as varsity..... He is varsity! The intent of the tournament is to get JV wrestlers an opportunity to compete with other JV wrestlers ....not to make your varsity wrestlers better.  Most schools understood this and kept those kids at home or at a varsity tournament this weekend.  There needs to be a limited number of varsity matches that a wrestler should be able to wrestle (I would say 3) and no varsity tournaments.  Maybe even have a qualification that they must have participated in a JV tournament prior to the Challenge. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Nolston

It sure does make sense if your not #1 at a weight class then you're JV or Varsity Reserve.  Pretty cut and dry.  The thing that I was surprised was there were wrestlers on numerous teams at this tournament that wrestle on Varsity at a designated weight class, which makes them their teams #1.  Now if they just lost a wrestle off before this tournament then it would be a different story.  Then I would be wrong on my statement.  On a positive note how many do we have moving on from the NS?

imnofish

Quote from: Nolston on January 12, 2015, 02:26:11 PM
It sure does make sense if your not #1 at a weight class then you're JV or Varsity Reserve.  Pretty cut and dry.  The thing that I was surprised was there were wrestlers on numerous teams at this tournament that wrestle on Varsity at a designated weight class, which makes them their teams #1.  Now if they just lost a wrestle off before this tournament then it would be a different story.  Then I would be wrong on my statement.  On a positive note how many do we have moving on from the NS?

First time I've seen that type of question asked, regarding this tournament series, and I'm glad to see it! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Out of Nowhere

From my quick glance it looks like the following:
Cedarburg: 2 (Daly 145, Temmer 195)
Grafton: 2 (Duran 126, Koepp 152)
Homestead: 5 (Hunt 106, Martin 132, Bullock 138, Grohman 170, Martin 220)
Port Washington: 1 (Green 120)
Whitefish Bay: 3 (Fergus 113, Nelson 120, Lichosik 160)

For a total of 13 guys moving on.

Ghetto

We will just have to disagree on this Aaron. He's not our varsity kid. If they put a match limit on it we will abide by it. He's on our varsity reserve team in a tournament this weekend as well.

imnofish

I think having a varsity match limit would be more palatable if coaches knew about it before the season started, so they could monitor and adjust accordingly.  Of course, coaches would readily relish one more thing to do, because it gets pretty boring for them during the wrestling season.   ;) 

As with any inaugural effort, much will be learned from this experience and future adjustments (or lack thereof) will be informed by those revelations.  Great to see the process of metamorphosis in action!   8)

bkraus

I just thought of this.  Look on track at the brackets.  They do not say JV, they say Varsity Reserve...  (There's a 9 page post in the main section for this) 

Now congrats to all the NSC kids who qualified, and good luck in Wausau. 
Strive for Perfection