West Bend East & West Petitioning to Join North Shore Conference

Started by sunrangereagle, September 27, 2013, 01:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunrangereagle

West Bend East & West are petitioning to leave the WI Little 10 and join the North Shore conference. It's cited that geography is the main reason why. Where do you think these respective wrestling teams fall in the mix of the North Shore? West won the Little 10 last year and look strong again this year. Although East placed in the bottom half of the conference, they had 4 conference finalists and 3 champions not to mention 2 returning state place winners. I realize the realignment won't happen for 2-3 years but just trying to get a feel for how this change will affect the quality of wrestling in the North Shore conference.

bkraus

If this goes through it would mean other changes as well.  The talk is having Milwaukee Lutheran leave the conference and both West Bends and Slinger moving in.  The West Bend schools want in so that they can co-op in swimming, which I guess they can not do in the WLT.  Competitively speaking I think those three schools definitely strengthen the conference.  Historically West and Slinger have always had solid teams and East has had some pretty impressive individuals.  I am just not a fan of a 10 team conference.   How will you be able to dual everyone every year with only 7 duals in a season?  Not sure about you, but I would not be in favor of giving up 2 multis to make up for those duals.  It would make the seeding meeting a nightmare at conference without competing against all the teams.
Strive for Perfection

DocWrestling

The FVA has 10 teams and wrestles 7 individual duals and one double dual
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

boowrestle

Badger has 12 teams at the conference tourney(north/south combined)they dont all dual each other,seeding shouldnt be a problem,u seed it off of overall record.More teams makes for much better conference tourney.
you can run but you cannot hide.

Ghetto

There are a lot of rumors flying around regarding conference realignment. Germantown is rumored to leave the conference, as is Milwaukee Lutheran. I won't be surprised if we are included in that rumor, as we geographically are much closer to the GMC, the Woodland and the City than we are to Port, Cedarburg and Grafton. We will see where that all goes. It would be a 45 minute drive for us to get to West Bend.

Size wise the two schools would be somewhere in the middle. Grafton has around 750 and Homestead has 1600 or so.

Would they improve the depth of the conference? Most definitely. It would make for a much more competitive conference tournament. The likelihood of having 13 Port kids in the finals would be much less.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on September 27, 2013, 09:28:56 PM
There are a lot of rumors flying around regarding conference realignment. Germantown is rumored to leave the conference, as is Milwaukee Lutheran. I won't be surprised if we are included in that rumor, as we geographically are much closer to the GMC, the Woodland and the City than we are to Port, Cedarburg and Grafton. We will see where that all goes. It would be a 45 minute drive for us to get to West Bend.

Size wise the two schools would be somewhere in the middle. Grafton has around 750 and Homestead has 1600 or so.

Would they improve the depth of the conference? Most definitely. It would make for a much more competitive conference tournament. The likelihood of having 13 Port kids in the finals would be much less.

I'm not so sure Port would be on board with this.  Or Grafton for that matter.  Wrestling wouldn't be the concern for Port...but almost every other sport due to enrollment would be an issue.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bkraus

Quote from: DocWrestling on September 27, 2013, 03:46:19 PM
The FVA has 10 teams and wrestles 7 individual duals and one double dual

So wrestling the double you would have to give up a multi, right?
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

You'd have to have a conference dual tourney like the City conference then.  I wouldn't want to give up a multi with 5 matches for my kids for two duals.  Even that would be a scheduling nightmare at first. 
Strive for Perfection

sunrangereagle

@aarons23 Port certainly wouldn't have to worrry about Football if East & West went to the North Shore regardless of the school size. They are bad for the Little 10 so I'm thinking they'd be eaten alive in the North Shore. Basketball too for that matter.