Minnesota

Started by leg turk, February 16, 2024, 07:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Quote from: bigoil on February 16, 2024, 08:47:30 PMClown show by the refs and timekeeper going on in Minnesota
So embarrassing for the Big Ten.  Minnesota wrestling should be fined for not being able to run a scoreboard properly.  This was middle school quality.

PAUL

I hesitate to suggest this, but was conditioning a factor tonight, and if so is this a problem?  It seems like it was mentioned a few times.  That being said, Hamiti and Zargo both looked really, really good.   

imwi

Quote from: Numbers on February 16, 2024, 11:46:13 PM
Quote from: bigoil on February 16, 2024, 08:47:30 PMClown show by the refs and timekeeper going on in Minnesota
So embarrassing for the Big Ten.  Minnesota wrestling should be fined for not being able to run a scoreboard properly.  This was middle school quality.

I told my partner, if this was a high school match, the crowd would be screaming for someone's head.  I also told her those people are working for BTN when it's broadcast on BTN and they definitely should be fired.  I don't know how they were explaining this on the broadcast but it person it was unbelievable.

bigoil

Quote from: PAUL on February 16, 2024, 11:58:45 PMI hesitate to suggest this, but was conditioning a factor tonight, and if so is this a problem?  It seems like it was mentioned a few times.  That being said, Hamiti and Zargo both looked really, really good.   
In what match do you feel conditioning played a role? I didn't see one guy, from either team look gassed. Maylor was probably the closest and he always has that look and has come up clutch in OT and the 3rd period.

PAUL

I wouldn't mention anyone by name, but the older announcer did suggest twice (I think) that guys looked semi-tired, I can't recall the word he used, "bushed" or something like that. 

Trust me, if the forum thinks I'm in Left Field on this that is totally good with me....

vsmf2010

Quote from: PAUL on February 17, 2024, 09:22:43 AMI wouldn't mention anyone by name, but the older announcer did suggest twice (I think) that guys looked semi-tired, I can't recall the word he used, "bushed" or something like that. 

Trust me, if the forum thinks I'm in Left Field on this that is totally good with me....

I did not see any indications of a bad weight cut or conditioning issues for either team. I thought all 20 wrestlers looked in shape and wrestled the whole match.

dad 2 5

They certainly are not wrestling to the whistle like they have the past couple of years from my view. They just are not good this year and frankly I don't see a jump up for next year so the wait until next year is off the board at this time. Hard to watch this team trending downward. Glad there is one bright light in DH and a couple others that should be ok when the tournaments roll out.

DocWrestling

I think the refs got the right call in the Rivera match but was just handled very weird.

Wrestling is hard even for a guy like me to tell what a takedown is.

In the Rivera match the only fight UW could have was maybe on reaction time which is so subjective.

I have no clue if that was a takedown or not in the Maylor match but went in our favor.

I have always said that if a wrestler gets deep in on a shot and was the aggressor and it ends in a stalemate then he should be awarded one point.  Force the clinging defensive wrestler to wrestle rather than cling for stalemate.  Easier to give one point now that takedowns are worth 3 points.  Maybe it is one point for a wrestler that lifts his guy into the waterfall position.  Stalemates are killing wrestling action and make knowing what a takedown is tough to know.  Maybe the defensive clinging wrestler gets called for stalling for clinging on leg for 5 seconds like an offensive wrestler would.

I did not see any conditioning problems.  Some occasional effort problems from wrestlers on both teams but did not seem related to conditioning.

Hamiti is uneblievable with how he can just play with anyone outside the top 5 or top 10.  I am always amazed in college wrestling that wrestlers that lose badly are still unbelievable wrestlers in their own right and yet their is still another level of wrestler that can tech fall them with ease.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

WhoKnows

Quote from: wrestlemania on February 16, 2024, 10:04:06 PMWas Rivera's loss legit or did UW get screwed there? I mean, first you lose your bullet to a pinfall then when you think you've tied the dual up, not only is the pin taken away but you lose the match on top of that in OT. When that's stuff happening, then it ain't your night.

Rivera got screwed.  The refs have been consistently calling that reaction time this year.  The time clock thing was trash.  That stuff really screws up the flow of matches. 

hornbuckleb

Quote from: WhoKnows on February 21, 2024, 06:19:03 AM
Quote from: wrestlemania on February 16, 2024, 10:04:06 PMWas Rivera's loss legit or did UW get screwed there? I mean, first you lose your bullet to a pinfall then when you think you've tied the dual up, not only is the pin taken away but you lose the match on top of that in OT. When that's stuff happening, then it ain't your night.

Rivera got screwed.  The refs have been consistently calling that reaction time this year.  The time clock thing was trash.  That stuff really screws up the flow of matches. 

No... reaction time rule sucks thats the problem.  Last year it was a takedown without a doubt match over.  The ref handle that situation the best he could signals 3 but let's it play out so he could review control and reaction time.

WhoKnows

Quote from: hornbuckleb on February 21, 2024, 09:17:32 AM
Quote from: WhoKnows on February 21, 2024, 06:19:03 AM

No... reaction time rule sucks thats the problem.  Last year it was a takedown without a doubt match over.  The ref handle that situation the best he could signals 3 but let's it play out so he could review control and reaction time.

And he still got it wrong.  If they are going to implement that change in rule they need to be consistent.  The ref needs to admit fault.  I agree that rule is not good and it creates another layer of judgement in quick amount of time. 

MNbadger

The referee signaled a td for Wells.  That was the end of it in OT.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on February 21, 2024, 02:00:45 PMThe referee signaled a td for Wells.  That was the end of it in OT.
That's not true. Often times signals are made and waived off. Clearly in his mind it wasn't made up else he would have blown the whistle. Reaction time doesn't go away because of OT.

DocWrestling

That is the strangest part of this year.  In the past I don't remember ever seeing a ref award points and then take them back seconds later.  That is happening all the time this year.

With these new judgements I think coaches are going to need more challenges especially at Big Tens and Nationals
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

I was at the match.  Most were shovked when the ref let it go.  Apparently the referee saw it the same.
Quote from: bigoil on February 21, 2024, 02:06:27 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on February 21, 2024, 02:00:45 PMThe referee signaled a td for Wells.  That was the end of it in OT.
That's not true. Often times signals are made and waived off. Clearly in his mind it wasn't made up else he would have blown the whistle. Reaction time doesn't go away because of OT.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan