Shane Liegel Article

Started by crossface21, January 26, 2024, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No One Cares

Quote from: crossface21 on January 26, 2024, 08:46:11 AMhttps://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2024/01/26/wisconsin-wrestler-shane-liegel-shines-in-move-from-d-iii-to-big-ten/72350495007/

You have to pay/subscribe to see this, so for those who can't...here it is:

MADISON – The Wisconsin wrestling team welcomed 12 newcomers this season, but it's safe to say none felt more at home than Shane Liegel.

His father, Ralph, wrestled for UW, lettered from 1985 to 1987 and qualified for the NCAA championships twice. Two of Liegel's older brothers were also Badgers. Scott lettered from 2012 to 2014 and qualified for the NCAA championships in 2014; Seth lettered from 2015 to 17.

Shane, who is the youngest child by six years, saw most of their careers in person as a regular for matches at the Field House or wherever else the family could travel.

Now it's his turn.

"This has been my dream my whole life, right?" he said. "I grew up watching the sport, watching my brothers and just knowing they came here (is special). I was walking into this wrestling room when I was little and I was watching them. It's been a dream of mine most of my life."

The dream has been worth the wait. Liegel's path to Wisconsin took him to Loras College for four years before he arrived in Madison as a graduate transfer.

And Liegel isn't just on the team. He's starting at 184 pounds and doing so well that he might inspire other D-III standouts to follow in his footsteps.

"I think it's one of the greatest stories out there right now," Wisconsin coach Chris Bono said.

Liegel is 15-4 heading into duals at Michigan State on Friday night (6 p.m., BTN+) and vs. No. 6 Nebraska at the Field House on Sunday (1 p.m., BTN). He opened the Big Ten season Sunday with a major decision over Ohio State's Seth Shumate and is ranked 15th at his weight by the NCAA and 16th by Intermat.

His success is the latest in a run that started with three WIAA state championships at River Valley High School in Spring Green.

From there he went to Loras in Dubuque, Iowa, where he went 100-10 in four seasons, was a four-time All-American and a National Wrestling Coaches Association national champion in 2021.

After graduating with a degree in business administration and accounting, he took advantage of his COVID year of extra eligibility and committed to Wisconsin as a graduate transfer.

In an interview last week, Liegel talked about his transition to Wisconsin, being a role model for other Division III athletes and what it means to wear the Cardinal and White.

What is the difference between wrestling at the Division III level vs. Division I?

Liegel: Everyone has to weigh in at the same weight. The physical nature of it isn't any different. I would say the preparation is the biggest thing, just in how you approach your preparation, your training. Everything at this level is very structured. There's an absolutely ridiculous amount of resources, which I'm very blessed to have. I feel like I'm getting spoiled, but as far as when you step out on the mat what the big difference is is a mindset of knowing that everyone is going to be good at this level. ... You have to be ready to go every match because everyone at the Division I level can come out and take you down because they're gifted, they're talented. They were recruited to the Division I level for a reason.

Are you surprised by your success?

Liegel: The short answer is no. I always knew it was inside of me. I knew it myself, but I could see other people seeing it in me, too. My support system and my family and the coaches here. It's hard not to believe it yourself when those guys see it in you. Before I committed here that was a big reason why I got here. They were preaching that before I even got here, like we know it's in you. We've seen it. I try not to put any expectations on me or anything like that, but I always knew I could do it and as far as a ranking or a number, I don't pay a lot of attention to it because everyone is good at this level. You could be No. 1 tomorrow or you could be out of the ranking tomorrow. It's all someone's opinion.

Who recruited you in high school?

Liegel: I wasn't getting recruited heavily by a lot of people, but I ended coming here on an unofficial (visit) and then Minnesota and Chattanooga were my other ones. But at the end of in the day a lot of factors went into it regarding money, scholarship-wise as well as academically. I knew what program I was going to go into. Academic-wise I knew I could focus on it more at a lower level. Every summer I was at Loras I had an internship all summer long. It's possible to do it here – guys do do it – but they've also got to train a couple of times a day in the summer. I knew I'd have a little bit more opportunities to make connections in the business world academically when I'd do that lower level. And at the time when I went to Loras they were a top-five school regarding wrestling, so they were competing for national championships. It was close to home. I was a homer, wanted to be close to home to be able to go sit in a tree stand and go hunting. That contributed to it as well.

What was the moment that it hit you that you're wrestling for Wisconsin?

Liegel: I try not to (think about that). To me that will take care of itself later. I try not to think that my brothers went here, my dad went here, it's my time to shine. I seriously have no perspective on that in the sense that I'm literally trying to take it day by day, live in the moment. ... One day I might be sitting in my recliner and think about it or reflect on it, but right now I'm in competition mode. Our family doesn't really talk about it. We're just very blessed and we talk about the opportunities that are given to us.

Have you been looking forward to the Big Ten season?

Liegel:  Growing up watching my brothers, the Big Ten schedule is awesome. I remember sitting down, watching duals with my dad, just watching Big Ten duals on Friday night or Sunday afternoon. It's what the entire wrestling community watches, lives for. The fact that I'm going to be competing in it is just super exciting for me. We were actually coming back from Virginia this past weekend and I was talking to coach (Jon) Reader and we were sitting down and I was like, "Reader I've had this Sunday match just circled for a while just because it's the start of the Big Ten." Everyone's dream is to wrestle in the Big Ten or a level like that. It's the best conference in the world.

Do you want to inspire other Division III athletes to try this?

Liegel: I hope so. That's partially why I'm doing what I'm doing. I feel like I'm paving my own path and just trying to be a good influence for others. I talk to those guys (at Loras) almost every single day. They're reaching out to me. I'm reaching out to them. There's a couple of different guys who were in the final last year for different teams, too, just reaching out (and saying), "Great job. It's good to see you're doing well." They're definitely noticing and I'm noticing them having success as well. Hopefully I'm shedding some light on whatever you want to do you can make it happen.

vsmf2010

Great article. Thanks for sharing.