Ohio St - 1/21

Started by vsmf2010, January 19, 2024, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

WS has this 8-2 OSU with the Badgers winning at 65 and 84. Matchup from the OSU website is below.

No. 7 OHIO STATE BUCKEYES vs. No. 17 WISCONSIN BADGERS
(InterMat Wrestling individual rankings used)
125-No. 24 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) .........vs. ......................... No. 4 Eric Barnett (Sr.)
133-No. 12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.).................vs. ........................... Nicolar Rivera (R-Fr.)
or Zan Fugitt (Fr.)
141-No. 3 Jesse Mendez (So.) ...................vs. ................................Felix Lettini (R-Fr.)
149-No. 9 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) ................vs. .....................No. 22 Joseph Zargo (Jr.)
157-No. 33 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) .....................vs. ........................... Luke Mechler (R-So.)
165-No. 22 Bryce Hepner (R-Jr.) ................vs. .........................No. 5 Dean Hamiti (Jr.)
174-No. 30 Rocco Welsh (Fr.) ....................vs. ....................... No. 11 Max Maylor (Gr.)
or Cale Anderson (R-So.)
184-Ryder Rogotzke (Fr.) ...........................vs. .................... No. 16 Shane Liegel (Gr.)
or No. 32 Seth Shumate (R-Fr.)
197-No. 22 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) ....................vs. .................................. Josh Otto (R-Sr.)
or Michael Talshahar (R-Fr.)
HWT-No. 17 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) .............vs. ......................... Brooks Empey (R-So.)
or Gannon Rosenfeld (R-Fr.)

BadgerOne

Badgers have better chance of winning at 125 than at 184.  I think Badgers have a decent shot at 174 if Maylor wrestlers too. 

charteroak1

If above are the true line-ups
Badgers - 12
tOSU - 23

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on January 19, 2024, 02:25:55 PMBadgers have better chance of winning at 125 than at 184.  I think Badgers have a decent shot at 174 if Maylor wrestlers too. 

I agree about EB's chances but I think Liegel has a good shot at 184 no matter who they put out. Hoffman went to Cliff Keens and wrestled in 5 duals this year but according to Tom Ryan he is out for the year. Rogotzke wrestled in 3 duals and he went to Midlands (DNP 2-2). I imagine they would prefer he redshirt and he has used up his 5 dates so who knows. Shumate wrestled in the most recent dual vs Illinois but he did also get pinned by Rogotzke back in November at the Clarion Open and Tom Ryan mentioned after the Illinois match that Shumate recently had surgery. It will be interesting for sure.

Looking forward to seeing Max wrestle Welsh. He is a true freshman and a stud but Max has been wrestling well so this should be a good one.

Lastly I am interested to see how Joey matches up against D'Emilio. D'Emilio took it to him pretty good last year at the Big Tens so be good to see if Joey has closed that gap at all.

wrestlemania

UW needs wins at 133, 149 and 157 along with their own favorites succeeding. Tall order to be sure but the only way to pull it out

vsmf2010

A path to victory seems like a pretty tall order. Would need to bonus in wins, conserve bonus in the losses, win where the UW is favored, win all the tossups and have an upset or 2. I think the Badgers could win anywhere between 1 and 5 matches. It is really hard to find a 6th win. Best case would be 5-5 and win the the bonus battle. Tough to see.

vsmf2010

OSU 27
UW 15

Wins at 25, 65 and 84

charteroak1

I wasn't that far off.  Great to see Barnett pick up a pin as quick as he did.  DJ doing DJ things and Shane getting bonus points is great to see.

RESULTS
#17 Wisconsin 15, #7 Ohio State 27 - Jan. 21, 2024 - Madison, Wis. | WIS-OSU
125: #4 Eric Barnett (WIS) over #24 Brendan McCrone (OSU), Fall 0:32 | 6-0
133: #12 Nic Bouzakis (OSU) over Nicolar Rivera (WIS), Major Dec. 19-11 | 6-4
141: #3 Jesse Mendez (OSU) over Felix Lettini (WIS), Tech Fall 21-5 5:46 | 6-9
149: #9 Dylan D`Emilio (OSU) over #22 Joseph Zargo (WIS), Major Dec. 12-4 | 6-13
157: #33 Isaac Wilcox (OSU) over Luke Mechler (WIS), Dec. 4-2 | 6-16
165: #5 Dean Hamiti (WIS) over #22 Bryce Hepner (OSU), Tech Fall 18-3 6:21 | 11-16
174: #30 Rocco Welsh (OSU) over #11 Max Maylor (WIS), Dec. 7-3 | 11-19
184: #16 Shane Liegel (WIS) over #32 Seth Shumate (OSU), Major Dec. 14-3 | 15-19
197: #22 Luke Geog (OSU) over Josh Otto (WIS), Dec. 8-2 | 15-22
285: #17 Nick Feldman (OSU) over Gannon Rosenfeld (WIS), Tech Fall 19-3 3:08 | 15-27
All team and individual rankings are Intermat for Jan. 16, 2024
Attendance: 3,563

bigoil

Nicolar battled back nicely, he was down 12-3 in the first and did get two takedowns. I felt he adjusted his level nicely. Zargo wasn't out of it until the end.
I can't figure out Mechler and Maylor, down and not attacking for a TD.

Attendance was noticeable, 3,500+!

vsmf2010

Quote from: bigoil on January 22, 2024, 05:18:38 PMNicolar battled back nicely, he was down 12-3 in the first and did get two takedowns. I felt he adjusted his level nicely. Zargo wasn't out of it until the end.
I can't figure out Mechler and Maylor, down and not attacking for a TD.

Attendance was noticeable, 3,500+!

I felt the same about Nicolar. Looked like he was completed out classed and heading toward getting teched. Battled back and took down a very good wrestler twice. Hopefully he has some confidence and can build on that. He has some winnable matches coming up over the next several weeks. Would be great if he could have a winning record in the Big Ten and get a single digit seed for the Big Ten tournament. I think the allocations will be a little light at 133 so having the best seed possible will likely give him a better shot to wrestle in to a qualifying spot.

Max did not look like himself. Had a hard time getting going and looked pretty out of gas at the end. Hopefully he can bounce back this weekend.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Barnett was focused and ready!

Nicolar outscored Bouzakis in the last 2 periods. Needed to start faster. He needs a breakthrough win.

Zargo was down 3 in the 3rd period and on top. Needs to have confidence to ride and the technique to turn somebody. Needs to practice tilts! Letting his opponent go meant he needed two takedowns to win, which was unlikely.

Hamiti was impressive. Very good at scoring takedowns even when a guy grabs an ankle.

Maylor got taken down because of the danger near fall situation. Welsh is very strong. Maylor needed more motion and set ups to get to his takedowns.

Liegel has an incredible motor. Keeps trying to score and stay on the attack the whole match from whatever position he is in.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf