North Carolina State, Nov 20th

Started by leg turk, November 18, 2016, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

appears to have been a good day for the Badgers three champions in Crone; RC and Zeke; RR second 3-2 loss in finals; 3rd for Lantz; 6th for Ritter and ES and most the guys got a couple of wins for the day (Rowh; GG; Q; Stilling; Stone) if I saw right.

Good work guys!

bigoil

Quote from: dad 2 5 on November 20, 2016, 05:21:00 PM
appears to have been a good day for the Badgers three champions in Crone; RC and Zeke; RR second 3-2 loss in finals; 3rd for Lantz; 6th for Ritter and ES and most the guys got a couple of wins for the day (Rowh; GG; Q; Stilling; Stone) if I saw right.

Good work guys!

Cole Martin took 3rd as well. 6 in the semis.

This tournament was difficult to follow on track as there seemed to be no pattern to matches. Semis were going on, finals, then at the end the badgers had 3 finals in a row on one mat.

At one point on Track, it looked like RR had erased riding time but they reset and he lost by riding time. Martin and Lantz lost close matches.

Not sure the overall level of competition but a very good showing.

badgerjohn

Quote from: bigoil on November 20, 2016, 06:02:48 PM
.......Not sure the overall level of competition but a very good showing.

Found these with cursory look at Intermat rankings

Quarterfinal - Kevin Jack (North Carolina State) won by major decision over Luke Rowh (University of Wisconsin) (Maj 13-0)
Intermat ranked #6   Kevin Jack   North Carolina State   Junior   ACC   =  Finished 1st today   

Semifinal - Andrew Crone (University of Wisconsin) won in sudden victory - 1 over Sam Speno (North Carolina State) (SV-1 7-5)
Intermat ranked #15   Sam Speno   North Carolina State   Senior   ACC   = Finished 3rd today

Quarterfinal - Hunter Gamble (Gardner-Webb) won by fall over Hunter Ritter (University of Wisconsin) (Fall 6:58)
Intermat ranked #20   Hunter Gamble   Gardner-Webb   Senior   SoCon  = Finished 3rd today

Cons. Semi - Jeric Kasunic (American) won by fall over Eric Peissig (University of Wisconsin) (Fall 1:04)
Intermat ranked #20   Jeric Kasunic   American   Junior   EIWA  = Finished 5th today (defeated Parker Hines from Ellsworth WI. currently at Air Force, transfered from Badgers after one year in Madison)

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Andrew Crone, Ryan Christensen and Ricky Robertson's all have a shot at being ranked.  Crone for sure.
Christensen did not even give up a point in 5 matches outscoring his opponents 35-0 !
Cole Martin (3rd) and Eli Stickley (6th) continue to impress.  Martin may have the edge at 141 now.
Nice 5th place finish by Hunter Ritter. 5-1 on the day and lost to a ranked wrestler.
Jens Lantz (3rd) and Michael Cullen (8th) both did well at 125.
Eric Peissig went 3-2 and finished 8th
Zeke beat everyone soundly, not surprising, but he did score quite a few points. 3 pins, 2 majors, 1 - 7 point win !

Pretty impressive tournament overall by Wisconsin.
3 Champs, 1 2nd, 2 3rds, 1 5th, 1 6th, 2 8th. WOW!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrastle63

Pretty easy to see we are making good progress.
New lineup projection would be Jens, Stickley, Martin, Crone, Q, Jordan, Christensen, Ritter, Robertson, and Medberry. Leaves me feeling very good about team 157 is only area that is weaker in my opinion, but Wick will be there next year.

mkm13

Some promising results.  It appears our upperweights (174-197) are all at a weight they can be successful at.  Christensen and Robertson both seem to be wrestling better this year than last at their new weight.  Hope that continues as the competition will continue to get tougher. 

At this point, we only have one hole at 157.  It would be nice if whoever ends up there could at least limit the dual loses to decisions.  I am assuming Lubeck and Ruschell are both injured at this point.  Hope they can get healthy and be competitive soon.

With Crone, Christensen, Robertson, and Ritter, I think we have better depth that some expected behind Jordan and Medberry.  IMO all have a chance to eventually be ranked this year if they can wrestle to their potential.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: mkm13 on November 21, 2016, 08:48:18 AM
Some promising results.  It appears our upperweights (174-197) are all at a weight they can be successful at.  Christensen and Robertson both seem to be wrestling better this year than last at their new weight.  Hope that continues as the competition will continue to get tougher. 

At this point, we only have one hole at 157.  It would be nice if whoever ends up there could at least limit the dual loses to decisions.  I am assuming Lubeck and Ruschell are both injured at this point.  Hope they can get healthy and be competitive soon.

With Crone, Christensen, Robertson, and Ritter, I think we have better depth that some expected behind Jordan and Medberry.  IMO all have a chance to eventually be ranked this year if they can wrestle to their potential.

Is Donar injured as well?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bkraus

I heard on the Duke broadcast that Rueschell was redshirting this year.
Strive for Perfection

leg turk

Quote from: bkraus on November 21, 2016, 09:55:15 AM

Funny how Duke University knows more about our wrestling team, than we do.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: leg turk on November 21, 2016, 10:47:38 AM

Ain't that the truth!!
The level of communication coming out of the program is abysmal! I also follow the UW volleyball and both the head and assistant are actively on twitter, the team Facebook is updated constantly and there is a weekly podcast.

mkm13

Not saying the communication is good, but in Ruschell's case I think there are pretty tight requirements in terms of what a university is supposed to say in terms of injuries. 

Ruschell has already redshirted, so if he was taking the year off, it will be for a medical redshirt.  As I understand the process, the medical redshirt has to be requested to the NCAA after the season is over.  If this is the case, hopefully the NCAA will grant him the 6th year. 

Jimmy

Sorry to hear of Ruschell's injury. With Wick in the wings will a sixth yr. help him ?

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on November 21, 2016, 10:47:38 AM

Have to keep it a secret.  The UW way.
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

UW's presence on Twitter has been much stronger this season.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on November 22, 2016, 02:43:25 PM
UW's presence on Twitter has been much stronger this season.

As has Barry's own twitter come alive. Plus you hear from him every Tuesday. You aren't going to hear about injuries that are being dealt with whether rehab or asking for a Medical redshirt. We have heard when guys were done for the year so they aren't hiding. I guess they could have gave us a heads up that Medberry was sitting out the weekend, that would be a fair point.