Heavyweight Trent Hillger Verbals To Wisconsin

Started by TomM, October 14, 2016, 04:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Trent Hillger Verbals To Wisconsin

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/47274-trent-hillger-verbals-to-wisconsin

Hillger is the second Top-100 guy to verbally commit to wrestle in Madison, joining No. 68 Paul Konrath. Wisconsin has also received verbals from two of the top in-state seniors, Devin Bahr (No. 14 at 145) and Jackson Hemauer (No. 12 at 170). All the class of 2017 commitments can be found here.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrastle63

mkm13

Great to hear, that fills what would have been a huge hole. That class is looking solid with him and Konrath both being top 100 recruits.  I also think Bahr has a chance to get back to that level assuming he is completely healthy.

I will be curious if there is more scholarship money available now with Lawson gone.  I assume they were likely saving money for Hillger either way, given the big need we had there.

Here is another article:

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16887

Intermat has Hillger, Konrath, and Bahr all ranked higher than flow.

ElectricGuy

We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

DocWrestling

A football player on a football scholarship can wrestle but...

A wrestler on a wrestling scholarship really cannot play football mainly because of scholarship rules.

MY understanding is if he played football he would count against the Badgers 85 scholarship limits so essentially they would be losing a football scholarship to pick up a "part time player"

Just quirky scholarship rules to prevent schools from giving out track and wresting scholarships to kids that they actually want to play football.  Essentially you cannot be on scholarship in wrestling and a "walk-on" in football.

No matter what this is a big get for the Badgers.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Excellent pick up!! Welcome to Wisconsin Trent.

stbird

I don't know how they did it, but I'm pretty sure Maryland did what you said can't be done with Spencer Myers their heavyweight 2 years ago.  I got the feeling that he didn't go out for football until his senior year in college, but wrestled all 4 years.   

Quote from: DocWrestling on October 14, 2016, 12:21:22 PM
A football player on a football scholarship can wrestle but...

A wrestler on a wrestling scholarship really cannot play football mainly because of scholarship rules.

MY understanding is if he played football he would count against the Badgers 85 scholarship limits so essentially they would be losing a football scholarship to pick up a "part time player"

Just quirky scholarship rules to prevent schools from giving out track and wresting scholarships to kids that they actually want to play football.  Essentially you cannot be on scholarship in wrestling and a "walk-on" in football.

No matter what this is a big get for the Badgers.

DocWrestling

A wrestler could play football if he still had eligibility after wrestling 4 years.  But he was likely not on scholarship the year he played football.

Eligibility gives you 4 years out of 5 to compete.  I believe you could wrestle 4 years and without a redshirt your eligibility would be up for wrestling but you could still play football for that 5th year, but I don't think he could be on scholarship unless the football team gave him a scholarship which would be unlikely.

I am hoping he is coming to focus just on wrestling and become a dominant beast!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

I'm just glad he's coming here. Velkommen til Wisconsin!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dad 2 5

looks to be a very good score for the Badgers and the class is very solid! Good job Barry, Trevor and Mitch

npope

Quote from: coconut joe on October 14, 2016, 03:59:18 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 14, 2016, 03:43:01 PM
looks to be a very good score for the Badgers and the class is very solid! Good job Barry, Trevor and Mitch

Are you cutting Kyle out of the credit?!

That's my question, too. Something folks should know?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mkm13

When he is a RS freshman we could have:

125: Jimenez -SR (top 100 recruit)
133: konrath- RSFR (top 100 recruit)
141: Stickley-Jr  (top 100 recruit), Martin- JR
149: Bahr-RSFR (top 100 recruit)
157: Wick-SO (top 50 recruit)
165: Wick-SO (top 50 recruit)
174: Christensen-Sr  (top 50 recruit)
184: Ritter-Jr  (top 50 recruit)
197: Reinhardt - Jr (top 100 recruit)
285: Hillger - RSFR (top 50 recruit)

A lot can happen between now and then, but it appears we will have some talent at each weight and no glaring holes.  The other key will be for 3 or 4 of them to develop into all American type wrestlers.

wrastle63

Hopefully more than 3-4 all americans. Pretty easy to say the future looks bright. I believe we will see quite a bit of the recruits you listed this year.

mkm13

I like your optimism, but I think you are underestimating how hard it is to AA.