What are your feelings on how the Badgers have done so far?

Started by Musky Hunter, January 02, 2014, 04:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visionquest

Quote from: whatever on January 03, 2014, 09:55:51 AM
It seems that some posters want to use the Midlands results to label the Badger squad as disappointing or not performing up to expectations.

I would like to use some Minnesota results at the Southern Scuffle for comparison:

141 - C. Dardanes (#2 in country) - took 4th and lost to unranked kid and #9 ranked kid
149 - N. Dardanes (#1 in country) - took 2nd and was pinned by #4 ranked kid
157 - D. Ness (#4 in country) - took 6th and was pinned by #9 and techfalled by #8
184 - K. Steinhaus (#5 in country) took 5th and lost to #6 and #16 ranked kids

I'm pretty sure many Gopher fans would recognize that their team stumbled and underperformed at this tournament.  I'm sure they also realize that's what tough season tournaments are for - to see how the team is doing, what they need to work on and changes they might need to make.  Pretty sure no one will be blasting JROB at this point.

To sum it up - I think the Badgers are doing fine and I wouldn't put a ton of stock into one tournaments results if they were good or bad.

I think there are plenty of reasons for optimism and am willing to let the season play out and encourage these Badgers to keep working hard and striving for their goals.  They have some young talent that will need to survive the incredible grind of a very tough schedule.

That info provides valuable insight and proves anything can and will happen, especially at the NCAA D1 level.  I think some people expected overnight success because of the potential they saw of what this year could be when we were going on what was actually happening last year.  If the guys can develop and their potential is reached or surpassed, I would consider that being successful.  

If a guy is his best when he steps in the room and doesn't get better going forward from that point, I would be concerned.  At that instance, I would raise my eyebrows and wonder what was going on. Even at that time, I would consider all other factors involved in not getting better from day one.
Proverbs 27:17

jaguarwrestler

125 above expectations

133 as expected

141 slightly below but brutal schedule so far

149 as expected

157 above

165 as expected

174 above

184 as expected

197 as expected

HWT as expected

so team is doing as expected in my eyes. when at full strength I would say they are a top 10-12 team
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Gutwrench

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on January 03, 2014, 10:26:14 AM
125 above expectations
133 as expected
141 slightly below but brutal schedule so far
149 as expected
157 above
165 as expected
174 above
184 as expected
197 as expected
HWT as expected

Realistically you can't argue much from what jaguar says here.  I would only change 184 as slightly below expectations as I thought Hein would be doing a little better then he has been lately.

stbird

Overall I'm optimistic that we will be a really tough team when it matters in February and March.  I'm dissappointed in how we did during the Midland's medal round but we have a long way to go.  I am very impressed with how Liegel did at Midlands as well as Lubeck.  What happened to Hein?  I saw that he medical forfeited his match against Robertson.  About the only real hole it seems we have is at 165.  Other than that I'm feeling pretty good about the team right now. 

dad 2 5

Thought that they would do better at Midlands. Obviously flat against NIU. Great win over IL. I think most of are on the same page as far we individuals go. I would like to know what is up with RT. I think we are in ok position for the Big 10 and NCAA but hoping for more as the season goes into the thick of the dual matches.

Still think there is the potential to have several guys AA (Graff, Zeke, Medberry) with a couple more (Hein, Taylor) close and could.

easytopin

How much of Taylors issues are weight related?

When does wait till next year stop and wait till this year begins.  When you see Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State put 7-8 guys in the finals of big tournies you want the same for your team.  Will this ever happen or are the big three always going to be the big three?

hammen

Quote from: easytopin on January 03, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
How much of Taylors issues are weight related?

When does wait till next year stop and wait till this year begins.  When you see Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State put 7-8 guys in the finals of big tournies you want the same for your team.  Will this ever happen or are the big three always going to be the big three?

Actually there is nothing wrong with Taylor's weight. I was completely wrong about that. Although he is a good sized 125, he makes the weight without trouble. You have to realize that Taylor had hip surgery less than a half year ago. I think he healed and returned a lot quicker than anticipated, and they are giving him some rest going into the B1G season. Gotta keep a kid like that healthy down the stretch.

bigG

Sounds like a fair assessment. One thing to have hip surgery; it's another to wrestle on it. This is the most brutal sport on joints. Some think the hip joint isn't as vulnerable; until they meet the bow and arrow.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

No kidding about the abuse of our joints.  I've personally had 5 joint dislocations, several sprains, and a couple of hyper-extensions.  I also threw my back out a few times.  Wrestling's a tough sport.   :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

My back Ichiro a few times per year), both ankles (waiting for fake ones), just had surgery on a knee and another to go, one shoulder will need to be cut. Wrestling...priceless.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

hammen

BigG I'm with ya. I feel it every morning and most nights. Feel like I'm 65.

imnofish

Quote from: hammen on January 03, 2014, 10:35:46 PM

Are you 65?  Just wondering, because I wake up feeling like I'm 60, but I AM 60.   ;D

npope

Quote from: imnofish on January 03, 2014, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: hammen on January 03, 2014, 10:35:46 PM

Are you 65?  Just wondering, because I wake up feeling like I'm 60, but I AM 60.   ;D

Ha! Well then, you are at least holding your own.

Drew, I can appreciate that wrestling may have taken its toll on you already, but just wait - you are in for a wild ride if your body is rebelling already - and it ain't gonna' be nice.

I don't think there is a young person out there who can really appreciate what it means to feel 65 (physically) - I know I sure couldn't. Life is a cruel master and sliding into old age is filled with aches and pains that a person never thought was going to part of their daily life. I am convinced that this is nature's way of prepping us for our ultimate demise - to make us so miserable that we finally welcome the arrival of the Grim Reaper as our savior; who will generously release us from the tortured existence - that wonderful period euphemistically referred to as the "Golden Years"  ::)

BigG - you sound like the Bionic Man in waiting. Wow!

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope