2015 Wisconsin Dells Duals

Started by bulldog, December 14, 2015, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Didn't see anyone start this thread so thought I would put my 2 cents in. This is the first year I had been to the tournament in Dells and I have to say I wish we would have taken a team here in the past. In my opinion, this is by far the BEST way to run a dual type tournament. 30 teams with Pools set up for level of skill for the team made it a great experience for our school. And the competition!!! HOLY COW!!!

The chance to see Kaukauna vs Stoughton, Kakauna vs Mineral Point, Mineral Point vs Stoughton (Pool A was great too watch)...or to see other teams from around the state...New Richmond, River Falls, Boyceville...etc. I think every school that wants to have a dual tournament should just hold it at the dome in the dells and run it in this format. One team dropped out...they did a great job of reworking the pools to give the best pools for each team to try have great competition. I think it was successful

Also...great job to Adams-Friendship...I understand they handled most of the behind the scenes coordination of this event.

If your team is looking for a dual tournament early in the year next year...this is it

wrestlinglife1

Agreed, also a great way to see D1 vs D2 vs D3 crossovers. Sate Champions Kaukauna vs State Champions Spring Valley was neat. Too bad Freedom wasn't in that bracket too.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: bulldog on December 14, 2015, 07:52:44 AMOne team dropped out...they did a great job of reworking the pools to give the best pools for each team to try have great competition.

I agree - Adams Friend - does it a great job, great format fun to watch all the dual teams.   

Considering they had to rework the pools / brackets at the last minute - I thought it was creative how they did that.   Rumor has it the missing team wasn't happy with being in pool A,  anyone from there have a differing story? 
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

boz21

Wausau West was the school that didn't show up.  They threatened to not show up if they were going to be in Pool A, I guess they held true on there word.  With the history, size and experience of there wrestling team there's no reason for them to back out, not sure who made the decision but I bet the kids didn't.  Mineral Point is were we call home, and we've always wanted to wrestling the toughest wrestlers and best wrestling teams in the state to get our kids prepared.  We travel to places like the Dells Duals, Badger State, Nothern Exposure, Geneso IL. for great competition.  We knew it was going to be an uphill battle with being in pool A but that's what we signed up for.  You get the chance to wrestle 6-7 ranked teams can only benefit you wrestlers in the long run.  Undeated records are secondary to our kids, they want to wrestle the best and I would hope many others would as well. 

padre

Quote from: boz21 on December 14, 2015, 05:37:55 PM
Wausau West was the school that didn't show up.  They threatened to not show up if they were going to be in Pool A, I guess they held true on there word.  With the history, size and experience of there wrestling team there's no reason for them to back out, not sure who made the decision but I bet the kids didn't.  Mineral Point is were we call home, and we've always wanted to wrestling the toughest wrestlers and best wrestling teams in the state to get our kids prepared.  We travel to places like the Dells Duals, Badger State, Nothern Exposure, Geneso IL. for great competition.  We knew it was going to be an uphill battle with being in pool A but that's what we signed up for.  You get the chance to wrestle 6-7 ranked teams can only benefit you wrestlers in the long run.  Undeated records are secondary to our kids, they want to wrestle the best and I would hope many others would as well.  

If you know Fabry you know there is no fear of competition. He's got a generally very young team with quite a few average kids starting. They didn't belong in that group...bottom line. You cannot say by their experience as they have had little experience coming up from their youth club the last couple years. By the looks of it Mineral Point knew they belonged in that group. West took in the bottom half of their own duals the previous weekend and although competition is good...I'm sure he felt this was not going to help the majority of his wrestlers or the outlook for those wrestlers on the rest of the season.

bulldog

I don't know the whole story but I do agree that the current Wausau West team would not have been a good fit in the A division. With a young inexperienced team that could have resulted in short mat time and a long day. I even think we were in the wrong pool...our kids had the right attitude and felt they learned something from wrestling better teams but Wausau West in pool A may have been a bit too much for them. Fabry is a great coach and looking for the best experience for his team...in my opinion.

I think the way the tournament "fixed" the situation was great and actually made for a more exciting tournament. Thy actually could have set up Pools A, B, and C they way they did and they could have moved West to Pool D, E or F and kept them happy.

But that is just my Monday Evening Quarterback answer...I have no idea what it would have taken to move the teams around. Again...GREAT event and GREAT location to run a Dual Tournament.

aarons23

If there is criteria to be in each pool and if you meet that criteria,  then you should honor your contract and wrestle in that pool.  If you dont like it then dont sign a contract the next year.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.